Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I did some checking on all of the rollers that I have. Here is what I found:
    1. Both the cupped washer and roller body are magnetic indicating a high steel content. Low grade s.s. is magnetic. Since the rust is pretty superficial, I would guess that they are a low grade s.s.
    2. I ordered some of the plastic rollers, mainly for the cupped washer and spring. When I used a vernier caliper to check dimensions, I found that the original appeared to be 22 gauge and the new ones 23 gauge. It's only about .003" difference and the measurements were close with a + - tolerance within limits.
    3. I also checked the OD and ID of the washers and they were all within a reasonable tolerance.
    I was going to order some of the Casco rollers, but have been holding off to see if I can get the brass rollers. The 2 different rollers that I have, appear to be the original Ford or new plastic from Ebay, so it will interesting to see what Casco comes up with. It should be an easy check for them to make.
    Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Ray, Ford wasn't the only company that used these rollers. Everyone did, including Chevrolet. Of course they were used across all Ford car and truck lines, how many different rollers do we need? Because of the high volume, it is much cheaper to mold them from plastic than machining them from round stock or pressing them from powdered metal. Ford bought these stamped parts from Mattatuck in Waterbury, Connecticut.

Martin Burs and I did a writeup on these rollers because he made some from brass. I thought he would churn out many more but instead, he was laid off (so he went sailing). That was a couple years ago.

I'm sure that Martin doesn't mind if I share what we know and his experience making them in this Squarebirds.org site:
      CLICK HERE

The thickness of the cupped washers cannot be too thick because a spring backs it up. Just make sure the height is at least as tall as the spool's major diameter.

BTW, cupped washers are easy to make from SS washers available from all the major hardware stores. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

problem with replacement window rollers

I am pleased to tell you that Jim Brown, President of CASCO, has just said in an email to me, that they will fix that problem with that metal cupped washer that comes as part of their 23240M all metal roller that they manufacture. IF they need an actual OEM cupped metal washer to replicate it, I will let you know. If so, someone might have to "loan" or give them one to examine and replicate. Here is what Jim had to say, and I post this with his expressed permission.

Ray,

I received your information about our 23240M all metal roller we manufacture. Thank you for taking the time to investigate the problem and for passing the information on to CASCO and the TBird community. We have made that part for several years now and have not heard of that problem before. We actually only manufacture the solid metal part of that assembly. We use the cupped washer, spring and hair pin from a readily available plastic window roller and toss out the plastic part. But it looks like we should be making our own version of the cupped washer too. I am sorry you had an issue with our roller. Thanks again for helping to make our parts the best they can be.

Sincerely,

Jim Brown, President, CASCO

In response, I thanked him for his company's support of the Thunderbird and for their manufacturing of many parts still needed today by the large Thunderbird community around the world.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

problem with replacement window rollers

Jim Brown, President of CASCO has just advised me that they do not need anyone to send them a sample of the OEM metal cupped washer. He said they have original parts they can reference.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎