Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

I think we have been trying to find a one answer fits all solution while pictures from Ford seem to suggest that there may have been at least two different configurations. It seems to me that the question is why and/or when did the change(s) occur. Could it have been by by model year? Or some other variable such as transmission, AC or not, etc.? Or maybe a mid-year change resulting from field reports? The "1890" photo came from the 1959 Thunderbird Shop Manual which would have been printed before the 1959 models were produced. Where did the "1869" photo come from? Does the lower number indicate an earlier picture? It seems we have more questions than answers.
    Last edited by Howard Prout; July 30, 2010, 06:37 PM. Reason: editing
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The loop is a dam for any liquid (gasoline OR water) that might enter the vacuum line. Water will rust, and gas will attack the the diaphragm.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Correct. The loop is a vapor trap and a device to relieve tension when the distributor is moved for timing (an almost automatic procedure when replacing points).

The loop (430) appears correct at the air cleaner as I was looking through MERC 430 photos. As for the front relief on the air cleaner housing, both the 352 and 430 used the same cleaner and the 430 will set back a bit.

If anyone has an early MPC, the Basic PN on the line is 12226. This may help if it lists the Service PN for the line(s) (I would assume they would be somewhat different as to model year and whether AC).

Another consideration is that illustrations in a shop manual may or may not be accurate. It may show an earlier design that was not released for assembly or could possibly be an artist's conception. I have been burnt on those a few times.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎