X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

58 Power steering control valve...

I was taking the two hoses to and from the Oil pump and the Control Valve to a company in order to get new and fresh hoses. These two hoses, one armed by metal and with clamped joints and the other, is the return to the container. My problem is that the company took all apart and mixed all the the metal conectors, so I don´t know "who´s who" anymore.
    Anyone who knows a diagram or similar, so I can get it right?
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

The return hose goes to the bottom of the pump and is clamped. The pressure hose has a elbow on it at the pump end and both ends are fittings. My pressure hose has a larger outside diameter than the return hose.
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

But to what holes goes these on the Control Valve? As it is now, I have no clamps or anything on the hoses. I have two avalible holes in the Control Valve. One is closer to the drivers seat, and the other is towards the front of the car. They have different size of threads.
      One should be clamped on one side only and goes into the top / side of the container. I asumed this was the return, as it only have a standard hose clamp. The other hose, armed with metal, are clamped ( not mine right now... ) on booth sides. I just need to know where this one goes into the Control Arm.
      //Anders
      Last edited by Anders; April 12, 2011, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

I believe the larger one in the control valve is for the return, and the smaller is for the pressure. The smaller hole is towards the driver and the larger is towards the front of the car, although I didn't find a good picture of that side of the control valve. Yes, the return hose connects to the reservoire near the top with a clamp and it bubbles down through the filter.

Smaller hoses give you higher pressure for the pressure side.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Astrowing
          I believe the larger one in the control valve is for the return, and the smaller is for the pressure. The smaller hole is towards the driver and the larger is towards the front of the car, although I didn't find a good picture of that side of the control valve. Yes, the return hose connects to the reservoire near the top with a clamp and it bubbles down through the filter.

Smaller hoses give you higher pressure for the pressure side.
          Thanks alot. Only one thing though, In my car, the small hole is towards the front and the bigger hole towards the driver. Booth are "up". Can you please doubblecheck again?
          Looking at your picture, it seems as your return ( the long ), as mine, are facing the driver.
          Last edited by Anders; April 12, 2011, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

I'm sure mine is the same as yours and both are up. I was trying to look at drawings I found, but they are pretty poor resolution and it is hard to tell which hose goes where. I'll look at it this weekend as I'm prepping the Tbird for a parade and will try to get some pictures.
            sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The smaller end is the pressure fitting and that is closer to the front of the car. The return connector is larger and closer to the back.
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Thanks guys! I visited a friend with a 59 Fairline on my way home from work, and it was the same there, so I´m 100% sure I´m on the right track now.
                Again, Big thanks to Astrowing & jopizz for your effort!!

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

In case you need them, here are some pics from my suspension rebuild gallery on the PS control valve:

Greasy before shot:

Hoses, laid out as installed. Front is to the left:

After shot, but doesn't show much of the lines to the pump:
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎