Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasmark1
    • Dec 27 2011

shifter detent plate needed for 63 Merc

Son's first car, 63 Mercury Monterey, Breezeway rear window. has the usual slop in the column-mounted shifter.

Read about the replacement unit on the SB site and wondering if it will fit our car or if there is one out there that someone would recommend...

the Monterey is essentially a Galaxie, so anyone with a Gal who has replaced this piece... please let me know my options.

thanks,Mark and Daniel
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Hi Mark,

Neat to see what you and Daniel are doing together.

Here is the link to some more info on the detent plate that may help to see if it will work for you.

HTH
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• texasmark1
      • Dec 27 2011

hey G,

have seen you on the yblocksforever forum! our project is portrayed there with pics. Yes, I have looked at the install pics on the SB site; my question is whether or not that detent plate will fit our car...

any ideas about interchange-ability on this part??

Mark

Comment

• Jimz Bird
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2011

Hi Mark,

I have been following your progress. Cool kid you have there.

Dunno if it will work but I'm sure someone here does or can give you some insight on what to do with it.
        Jim
        sigpic

Comment

• texasmark1
          • Dec 27 2011

thanks Jim; yep, Daniel is quite the car-nut! His project is slow-going as he has many other irons in the fire, but when he fires that bad boy up, his eyes get that look, he takes it around the block a time or two and he's good for the rest of the day!

Comment

• texasmark1
            • Dec 27 2011

well, our problem appears to be a combinatiion of worn detent, missing "correct" pin that attaches the shift lever to the column and loose linkage from the tranny all the way back up...!

so... now we know what to attack!

Comment

• Jimz Bird
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2011

Mark,

Is that like a "rolled" pin that is driven in and out where it attaches and rocks back and forth.?

Adjusting the linkage should help quite a bit also. I doubt if it has been done lately.

Were you able to get a shop manual for the Monterey? I have always like that "Breezeway" back window.

You guyz keep at it.
              Jim
              sigpic

Comment

• texasmark1
                • Dec 27 2011

yes, that's a good description of the pin... its the kind of thing that you never notice or even see until it gives out, or you need to replace. the original was probably removed when the previous owner "customized" the car by putting in Lincoln seats, Lincoln wheels and a floor shift with console of unknown origin... maybe it was Lincoln as well. Daniel wants it back to stock, so we're searching for original seats for a two door, original steel wheels and hubcaps, etc...

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

shifter detent plate needed for 63 Merc

Hi Mark,

We do not have a detent plate made specifically for the '63 Mercury Monterey. However... we do have detent plates for the 1960-1963 Thunderbirds, the Ford Falcon, '66-'77 Ford Bronco which also fits the 1970 F150/F250 trucks. I would suggest that you try the one for the 1963 Ford Falcon or the 1960-1963 Tbirds. Click on the Main Site HOME button above and it will take you to the Home page. There you will find information about ordering Detent Plates. You can do so through PayPal. Marianne, the sister of our Founder, Alexander Sosiak, handles our Detent Plate orders for us. If you don't have PayPal, I can give you her contact information where you could send a check or postal money order. If you order a detent plate and it does not match up with the one that you have in that Merc, ask her if you can return it and order the one for the 1961-1963 Tbirds. Maybe that will work. If you can take a picture of it and send it to me, I can send it to her and she can see if she has a Detent Plate that matches it. My email address is part of my signature. I hope this helps. If it does, I will ask Dave to modify the Detent Plate statement on the Home page that a certain Detent Plate also works on a '63 Merc!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• texasmark1
                    • Dec 27 2011

just sent you an email about the part...

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎