No announcement yet.

front disc brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, I've recently installed a front disc brake conversion on my 58 and I was wondering if it's necessary to replace the original master cylinder. Will it still works properly, will I need a proportioning valve, will I require a booster etc. Car not back on the road yet so I'm just chasing people's thoughts.
    Thanks Chris.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Chris, I suggest you use a two-stage 8" booster with a dual piston 1" bore master cylinder. For both front/rear hydraulic circuits you will need a disk/drum combination proportioning valve.

The hardest part of this puzzle is the firewall bracket. Since the original firewall holes are so low and close to the steering column/shift levers, the booster needs to come up five inches and out from the firewall five inches.

Check out the pictures in Marcelo's thread, starting with post #117:
    This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

- Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I have same problems.
      1. Where to get disc kit which has all that I need?
      2. May I use still original 14" rims?
      3. If changing to rear too how to solve emergency brake?
      Thanks Jari & 59 SquareBird in Finland

Comment

Hi Chris
        I converted my 1960 Thunderbird last winter.
        and am very pleased with the improved stopping power.

You will need disc brake ready rims. The 14" disc brake ready rims were not easy to find. But they are out there. Find somebody that deals in car rims he will have them. There is a chart on this forum in the TRL. it will help you with the conversion. Also lots of information on disc brake conversions.

Comment

Hi guys, yeah I've got myself a set of 15" cragar smoothies so clearance won't be an issue. The kit was off eBay in the states and it was actually very simple. It came with slotted and drilled rotors, calipers, hoses and a couple of bolt on plates. Little bit of grinding but very easy.
          I have actually got a guy to do the custom master cylinder and booster here in oz but obviously not cheap, hence why I was checking my options.
          I should have the windsor and c4 in this weekend then my guy will make the booster/cylinder to suit the clearance.
          Cheers Chris.

Comment

• Restifier52
            Experienced
            • Jul 26 2011

Yay

Another Windsor in a Squarebird! Please post some pictures.

Rick
            1960 HT
            Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Yep 351w with roughly 450 fwhp, c4, 3000 converter and 3.7 gears, definitely should wake it up.
              I'd love to post some pictures but not sure how to on this site.
              Thanks Chris.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Chris, when I welcomed you to this Forum, I posted a Welcome to you in the New Members Welcoming Forum, as I do all new users of our Forum. Here is the link on how to go about posting pix on your Forum.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17045

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Sorry mate, yes you did, forgot about that.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎