Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwtdvm
    • Mar 10 2009

electric window problem

just like that all my electric windows quit working I am hoping it is an easy fix--my wiring diagram is a little vague on the electric windows--does not seem to be a fuse in the panel--is there an inline fuse somewhere??--anyone got any ideas???
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

I am a '58 guy so I dont have specifics for you but those cars had circuit breakers. See if your wiring diagram suggests them instead of fuses. Maybe the circuit breaker failed. If you can physically find it, you could try a jumper around it just for a second and see if the seat works.

In '58 they had one 15A circuit breakers for each window motor. No idea if a similar set up was used in your case.

John
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jwtdvm
      just like that all my electric windows quit working...
      You know, your switches are interlocked, meaning, one switch can't be in the up while the other is in the down position for the same window.

You may have a corroded connection or broken wire (usually at a place where it flexes the most). Broken wires can happen INSIDE the insulation. A conductor may look just fine, but when you pull on the wire, it stretches. Copper doesn't stretch, plastic does.

If the print looks vague, test a switch with a meter to see exactly how it works. The print will make much more sense afterwards.

Hope this helps.
      Dave
      Last edited by simplyconnected; May 27, 2009, 02:26 PM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Hi

It's unusual that they all quit at once. Even with the mater switch on the driver's door set to lock, the driver's should dtill work

yes, the other posters are correct, there is a circuit breaker for each window. You can access the rear ones by removing the rears seat base. But again, I don't think it would be any of the individual circuit breakers as that would only cause one window to quit, not all of them.

Check the power feed in to the main switch using a test light/meter. Don't try to pull the switch from the door panel as it's clipped from behind. You'll need to remove the door trim panel and get at the wiring from behind. With the door panel removed, you can access the wires without removing the switch.

Having said all that, there must be some sort of inline protection before the switch, such as a circuit breaker or a fuse. I've got a very detailed wiring diagram manual for '62,s is at home - I'll check it tonight (it's 9.00-am in the morning here). It might pay to try that first before tearing into your door panel.

A dumb question - I take it you've tried all the windows from their own individual switches as well as the master driver's switch panel?

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Two breakers located in the dash (center area):

One 40-amp is fed from your starter relay (battery side) and goes to all your relay contacts in the doors.

The other, a 30-amp, is fed from your starter switch (A term), and feeds your switches (also in the doors).

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

Consider:

color wiring diagram, full color wiring diagram, vintage car wiring, antique car wiring, colored wiring diagram, wire color, Classic Car Wiring Schematics, Schematics for Classic Cars and Trucks, Car Restoration, Car Restoring, AMC Wiring Diagrams, American Motors Wiring Diagrams, Buick Wiring Diagrams, Buick Wiring Di
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Itsadriver
              • May 10 2009

Window circuit breaker

On my 62 convertible.The main circuit breaker for the windows is attached to the starter solenoid.
              Then runs over to the main relay for the windows which is attached to the center of the fire wall in engine bay.
              My problem when none of the windows would work was the main breaker.
              The test light didn't help because it showed voltage but just wouldn't pass enough current to operate the windows.
              Try jumpering out the main window breaker first.

Comment

On my 66 it was the relay on the fire wall. Jumped it and all worked. Didn't leave it like that gota new one.

Comment

• nm63tbird
                  • Aug 13 2008

Power windows circuit breakers

My 63 TBird rear quarter power windows do not work. I replaced the 4 switches for the rear windows, but they still don't work. I did a conductivity test on the wires going to the window motor and got a postive result. I figure the problem is with the rear window circuit breakers. My front power windows work just fine. The wire diagram shows a 15 amp circuti breaker for each of the 4 windows. I want to check them, but cannot find them. I took out the back seat and checked all the wiring from the window motor to the back seat hump. I cannot find the circuit breakers. I am asking for information on the location of the circuit breakers. I found some circuit breakers on the fuse box, but don't know if they are to the windows. I checked them for conductivity and they are good. Please give me any infomation why my rear power windows do not work and where the circuit breakers are. Thanks

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

electric window problem

Hi Ruben,

If you have not done so, read all the posts under this.. The answer you are looking for might be in one of those posts...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Examine this diag:

This print is so tiny, I can't read the small print. Download the three pictures below by RIGHT CLICKing on them and choose "Save Target As..." then print the three pages and paste them together:

Normally, we troubleshoot from the motor, back. Look at the RH Front window motor. All four are the same. The circle with wires on top (green) and bottom (black) is the motor armature. The two coils on each side are Field Coils (red and yellow wires - for direction). Those arrows are push-in connectors.

To answer your question, find the circuit breaker by following the BLACK motor wire. The breaker is close to the motor. Now, let's troubleshoot:

Using VOLTS DC on your meter, clip one prod on GROUND, and keep it there for the whole test. Push your window button in one direction and hold it down forever while you test:

Test for voltage on either the RED or YELLOW motor wires. If you get +12 volts on either one, your wire coming from your IGNITION SWITCH BREAKER is good. If you don't find voltage, trace the wires back to the
                      RELAY, --> WINDOW SWITCH, --> then where all door switch wires come together.

On most Fords, there are two breakers in the engine compartment in the center of the firewall. The one we are dealing with is fed from the ignition switch.

The 40-amp circuit breaker is fed from the starter relay, and feeds the relays inside the doors, for armature power to all your window motors. If the Field test was good, try your prod on the motor's GREEN wire. If you get +12, your window should work. If you don't get power, go back to the relay contact (also in the door). If no power, go to the 40-amp circuit breaker on the firewall and check both sides. If no power, follow the wire back to your starter realy; it should be connected to the BATTERY side as indicated.

If you study the push-in connectors, you can just about tell where things are located because of where the wires disconnect. In your case, you don't have a Fordor, but the wires will still be similar.

I hope this helps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Itsadriver
                        • May 10 2009

The circuit breakers on the 1958 through 1963 are under the windows on the floor for the rear windows and under the kick panels for the front windows. The volt meter won't be reliable as some time it passes voltage through the circuit breaker giving you confusing info.But the circuit breaker won't allow enough curent flow to operate the windows.Try jumpering across the circuit breakers first this was the case even with my friends 1960 convertible and mine was the main cicuit breaker attatched to the starter solenoid.
                        The device attached to the firewall in the engine bay is a relay for the power windows not a circuit breaker.

Comment

• nm63tbird
                          • Aug 13 2008

'63 Rear Window Circuit Breakers

Thank you for you feedback to my question posted on the rear power window circuit breakers for my 1963 TBird. I
                          have read all previous postings and your suggestions, but I still have not found those circuit breakers. I examined the wiring diagrams, but the circuit breakers are not on the floor, in-line, or on/near the rear window motors. This is where I'm at:
                          1. I replaced all the front and rear window switches
                          2. Both front power windows work, therefore the circuit breakers under the hood and for these window are functional
                          3. The rear window motors work when I connect direct current from the battery
                          4. Therefore problem has to be the rear power window circuit breakers. The wiring looks fine.
                          5. I cannot find the rear power window ciurcuit breakers. They are not on/near the motors, on the floor, or inline from the windows to the floor hump.
                          6. There are 4 circuit breakers on the fuse panel. I don't know what they are for. I jumped all of them individually and the rear power windows did not work.
                          I ask again if anyone on this forum knows exactly where the rear power windows circuit breakers for a 1963 TBird are located. I don't want to remove the center console to follow the wiring looking for the breakers, if I don't have to. Either the circuit breakers were not installed in my car, or they are located somewhere else not described or listed in manuals and diagrams. Thanks for you any help you can provide on this problem.

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

electric window problem

It appears, according to the Tbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966 that the circuit breakers for the power windows are inside the window motors.. If I read this correctly. Here is Page 111 out of the book and what it has to say... "A new integral circuit breaker IN EACH MOTOR.... Here is the text..
                            Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• nm63tbird
                              • Aug 13 2008

Rear Power Windows

Thanks Yellow Rose:

Now I'm baffled! I tested each rear window motor with direct current from the battery and both work. If they have integrated circuit breakers, then the breakers are functional. I'm not sure what to check next to get the rear windows to work. I'll check the wiring from the center console switches to the rear switches. The switches are new. Any suggestions on what the problem is for the rear power windows not responding to their front and rear switches?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎