• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Sumowski
    Apprentice
    • Aug 21 2010

Best replacement vinyl?

Hi Guys:

I have been looking through catalogs (Larry's, Concourse, Thunderbird Headquarters) trying to determine the best quality and most accurate seat covers to buy for my 1958 Bird. I'd like to be sure that whichever ones I buy have the standard silver welting, quality stitch work, and correct vinyl. They don't all look to be the same, though it's impossible to tell minute differences in a catalog. The prices are all comparable. Is there anyone out there who has had to buy seat covers for your restoration? Any advice on which company provides the best quality and most accurate seat covers? Also, I am looking at replacement door panels, kick panels, and quarter panels, if anyone has experience with that...

Thanks very much,
    Rob
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure all the seat covers and interior panels are made by the same manufacturer. I think they all come from the West Coast; possibly from Larry's or Thunderbird Headquarters.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

As far as I have been able to figure out, Larrys do there own stuff. I am also pretty sure they can cut out a real sample and send it to you. I think ( have heard... ) that Dennis Carpenter is the company who do interior parts for most other vendors. Perhaps thay also send samples on requests?
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

All of the above posts are true.

My best advice is to order all of these interior "color coded" trim pieces at the same time, to get the best possible color match. I like Concours Parts & Accy's myself....

sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Rob Sumowski
          Apprentice
          • Aug 21 2010

Okay, I called Larry's and Concours:

Concours said that the original black/white vinyl seat covers had white horizontal pleats on both the front and back of the bucket seats.

Larry's disagreed, saying that the original black/white vinyl seat covers had white horizontal pleats on the front and flat black on the back of the bucket seats.

I have seen 58 Birds with both variations.

Which one is correct?

Both agreed that the seat covers should have silver welt.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Rob,

I have a '58 convertible and the back panel is flat white vinyl, not ribbed. On my '59 it's ribbed.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
              Experienced
              • Mar 31 2004

I will post an answer when home again.

I am currently in Mason City Ia staying at a Frank LLoyd Wright designed hotel. Grew up here but never realized these were his designs. Of course I was a kid.

Fuz
              58's&64's
              Sun Prairie, Wi
              tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                Experienced
                • Mar 31 2004

This info ony pertains to 58/59 birds. I need to spend additional time reviewing info for 60 birds.

The rear of the front seats is covered with a panle. This panel is a fiberboard material that is covered wint a off white vinyl that is heat molded with ribs that about 1 inch apart. Measurement is a guess but will fill in the number tommorrow. This pertains to all vinyl/vinyl and vinyl/cloth interiors. The reproduction materials being supplied are not a match to the original material in any form as of a couple years ago. When my 58 was done we used the old panels after they were cleaned up.
                Do not thro out your old seat back panels.

Leather was not available until 1959 and 1960. In this case the entire interior was all the same color and the seat back panels matched the interior color. Note this only applies to leather interiors.

I am attaching a pic of the back panel from a 7000 mile 59 bird.I will have to have Ray add the pic as it is too big.

I will get a pick of the off white panel tommorrow and get it posted.

Good Luck
                Fuz
                58's&60's
                Sun Prairie, Wi
                tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Best replacement vinyl?

Here is the pic that "Fuz" asked me to resize. Luckily, I have use of my roomies laptop at the VTCI Regional Convention in Austin and can do this for him.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; April 13, 2012, 01:48 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2011

Nice job on the re-size Ray.

Have a good time at the Forum. Sure hope they didn't give you a room with a water bed.
                    Jim
                    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Rob Sumowski
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 21 2010

Fuz,

Thanks very much! That is great information I couldn't get anywhere else. And thanks, Ray, for helping to resize the photo and tbird, jopizz, and Anders. Now I'll be able to make a more educated purchase. You guys are great.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎