No announcement yet.

Which way do the fender ornaments face?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way do the fender ornaments face?

I took my "gun sight" fender ornaments off on my 1960 Thunderbird to have the bases re-chromed, and now I don't know how to replace them correctly. Do the bird face towards each other, away from each other or both the same way?

RE: Which way do the fender ornaments face?

On my car the birds face the same way. At right from drivers view.
    This is from the Thunderbird Ranch:
    “Front Fender Ornaments
    On the 59 and 60 the birds in the gunsight ornaments face the drivers side of the car”.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I checked the gunsight ornaments on my 1960 Golde Top. When looking from the front of the car, the gunsight birds all face left, the same direction as the bird in front of the hood. In fact all the ornament birds - hood, gunsight, roof and trunk all face to the left when looking from the outside of the car on the 1960 Thunderbird. I will need to check my 1959 to see if that is also true for the 1959's.

Truthfully, you need to get very close to see which direction the birds on the 1960 gunsight ornaments face. My assumption is that all the gunsight ornaments were preassembled before being attached to the cars at the factory. Most were probably put together facing toward the left, but I sure that a car with gunsight ornament facing in a nonstandard way would have made it to the end of the sssembly line and to the dealer showroom. Even quality control would not care about that issue.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten points taken off at a show for birds not facing the correct way. As a judge I have never even looked for this.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas!

Now I gotta unscrew the headlight buckets to get the gunsights in the right position.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎