X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

brake disc conversion parts

Kenn, all the information regarding doing this disc brake conversion is available as a Paid Member of the Forum. Paid Membership costs $20 per year and the funds go to keeping this Forum going. If you would like to become a Paid Member and have a Pay Pal account, just click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. If you do not have a Pay Pal account and do not want to create one, but would like to become a Paid Member, I can tell you about another way to do it. Once a Paid Member you will find the information regarding the Disc Brake conversion in the Members Conference Forum. That can only be seen and accessed by our Paid Membership. There are a good number of additional privileges that Paid Members receive. Check out the Administrative Forums at the top of this Forum, and you will find the Paid Membership information there.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

There is a member called Daleo56 that just did a scarebird conversion on this 60. You may want to send him a private message to ask any questions. I went up to his shop and checked my new rims on his car with the conversion. He is very helpful and willing to chat.
      Nyles

Comment

• KENN
        Experienced
        • Aug 6 2015

HOW DO I OPEN THE Members Conference Forum?
        WHITE 60 HARDTOP AND 54 FORD SEDAN CUSTOMLINE TBIRD REGISTRY #61860 920-286-2277

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kenn, I just processed and approved your Paid Membership. You should now be seeing the Members Conference when you scroll down to it. Just click on the link to it and it should open up to you now.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hi Kenn

I have also completed a conversion using Scarebird brackets. I have a 1960 Thunderbird same as you. I would be glad to help in any way I can. You can call or PM. me. My Number is 208-777-2957. I still have all my notes and a parts list of what I used. I had trouble finding 14" disc brake ready rims. I am located in Idaho in the panhandle about 90 miles from Canada.

Larry

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

When I talked with Tim about his scarebird conversion, he said he bought new rims from Summit Racing and the price wasn't to bad. They are disc compatible. He did need to grind a small area on the brake calipers to make sure he had adequate clearance.
              I think that Scarebird gives you a list of items needed to buy at your local auto parts, but it would be nice to have your list posted on the site as a cross reference. I remember Tim telling me that he had problems with brake hoses and some of the attaching hardware.
              Nyles

Comment

• Yellowbird
                Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

I'm in the process of doing the conversion also. I want to use my '58 hubcaps. I'm having some trouble finding steel wheels at the pick and pulls.

However one question that I've not been able to get a definitive answer to is:
                Will the full wheel cover work on the Ranger or Aerostar wheels?
                sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the full wheel cover will fit just fine on the Ranger/Aerostar wheels. I removed the brackets that hold the smaller center caps that were on the Ranger. I'm not sure if I needed to but I did it anyway.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Yellowbird
                    Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Thanks for the information John.

A little more information. I've replaced disc brake pads many times in the past. I've never dealt with the calipers. I ordered the A1 Cardone unloaded calipers. A friend installed the passenger side and I installed the driver side. Bench bled the master cylinder and installed it. Pressed brake pedal to check for leaks and driver sided poured out fluid. Turns out the driver side caliper had only had the hole drilled and tapped for the banjo bolt. There was no machining for the concentric grooves for the copper washer. I did not notice the difference. I know the difference now!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎