Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denis4x4
    • Feb 7 2012

Looking for Previous Owner Info

I bought a 1960 'Bird that has been restored and the paperwork shows that it was purchased new by Charles Skidmore in Sacramento and sold to Clayton Loomis of Los Angeles in November of '74. That's where the paper trail ends. I was told that one of the two gentleman was very active in vintage Thunderbird clubs. Any info would be appreciated as I suspect that registering this car isn't going to be easy!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Clay Loomis was very active in the VTCA back in the 70's when I first joined. Not only did he own many Squarebirds he also sold parts. Unfortunately he passed away some years ago. I'm not sure if his wife Jane is still living. I have an old address from back in the 80's listed in the membership roster.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; February 26, 2012, 02:13 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Originally posted by denis4x4
      I bought a 1960 'Bird that has been restored and the paperwork shows that it was purchased new by Charles Skidmore in Sacramento and sold to Clayton Loomis of Los Angeles in November of '74. That's where the paper trail ends. I was told that one of the two gentleman was very active in vintage Thunderbird clubs. Any info would be appreciated as I suspect that registering this car isn't going to be easy!
      Apparently you bought the car without a title or a bill of sale?? Is that the reason why you suspect registering the car will be difficult? If you have a title, then of course registering is easy (well nothing is easy with the CA DMV). So if no title then you need to do a DMV title search. The DMV will give you the title owner's name, but no contact info. It's then up to you or your detective to find the person. May I suggest you become a member of CA AAA as AAA makes it much easier to title cars then the DMV does in CA. No waiting in lines at AAA and their employees are actually quite friendly and helpful.

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

Originally posted by Ca58tbird
        Apparently you bought the car without a title or a bill of sale?? Is that the reason why you suspect registering the car will be difficult? If you have a title, then of course registering is easy (well nothing is easy with the CA DMV). So if no title then you need to do a DMV title search. The DMV will give you the title owner's name, but no contact info. It's then up to you or your detective to find the person. May I suggest you become a member of CA AAA as AAA makes it much easier to title cars then the DMV does in CA. No waiting in lines at AAA and their employees are actually quite friendly and helpful.
        I second that. Use AAA to register. My car came from Michigan and I registered it in California through AAA with no problems. Very friendly and quick service. Well worth joining.

Comment

• denis4x4
          • Feb 7 2012

Fortunately, I live in Colorado and am on a first name basis with the County Clerk. I do have a California bill of sale and a suspense report dated 11/74. AAA of Colorado is more of a travel agency.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎