X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by triple60squares
    so your running the scarebird disc set up?

could you tell me what you actually get from scarebird themselves

i know you have to buy the rotors and the calipers seperately

what do you do about the master cylinder and the proportioning valve?

ohh and talk about feeling like been left out in the cold.....lol no one aggrees with me its ok im used to it that makes me unique and original
    This is exactly what you get from scarebird. I don’t want to thread drift too much. You can find allot of info here as well as many other disc brake conversion threads:

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12914

VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by triple60squares

ohh and talk about feeling like been left out in the cold.....lol no one aggrees with me its ok im used to it that makes me unique and original
      Don't feel bad about liking thin white walls. I have thin white wall radials on my '59 when I drive it. The wide whites are just for show.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

See Post #15 On This Thread

I looked at my receipt and it doesn't say what the backspacing is on my 16x8s and my disc brake kit came from ebay but they fit well. Since those pics were taken I got a heavy duty front sway bar and my tires do rub a bit on the new bar when I'm locked left or right. I'm pretty sure they didn't rub with the stock bar. And I tried some whitewall paint that did not turn out well. I'm gonna try again with some rustoleum plastic paint. (I got nuthin' to lose) I've had good results with it so far on the dash and some interior pieces. But yeah anything you want to put on your car is cool but I haven't seen anything that looks better than wide whites on a Squarebird.
        1960 HT
        Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Restifier52
          Experienced
          • Jul 26 2011

Oh And

the pics on post 15 were taken before I had a coil cut, too. You can see the difference if you look at the little pic in the corner here.
          1960 HT

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Wide whites are awesome, but I prefer 275 drag radials
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Restifier52
              Experienced
              • Jul 26 2011

I will definitely be fitting SOME kinda drag radial in my back wells for the strip. Not really chompin at the bit to get the sawzall out.
              1960 HT

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by tbird430
                Dave, I also disagree with "triple60squares".

I have the 225/75R14 radial WWW's on my '60 Hardtop. I get lots of compliments too. Even my father, when he was still here, changed the tires on his '59 Galaxie 500 after he saw my Bird with the "big whites"...

-Jon in TX.
                Thanks Jon.
                Last edited by Diesel Dave; February 13, 2013, 10:04 PM.
                Diesel Dave
                1959 Hardtop (not diesel)

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                  • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
                  I think you'd be happy with the setup I've got on my bird. remember if you go too wide in the rear, you'll have a difficult time unmounting and mounting the wheels. The rear wheel wells aren't very deep. It's a close fit getting my 215's in there. I'm sure you'd be OK with 225's, but you'd probably be pushing it with 235's
                  Thank you sir. I sure don't want to have any trouble getting the things on and off. If the tires that are lying under your bird in the pic above are the 215's, and they fill out the wheel wells like I've seen above, I think 215s are probably plenty. And if your 14" rims clear the disc brakes with the Scarebird setup, 15" should be plenty of room for me.

I think you guys have talked me into going with the 215s.

Thanks for all the tips.
                  Diesel Dave

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Forgot to mention, mine are Cokers as well. 225/75R14.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by Diesel Dave
                      Thank you sir. I sure don't want to have any trouble getting the things on and off. If the tires that are lying under your bird in the pic above are the 215's, and they fill out the wheel wells like I've seen above, I think 215s are probably plenty. And if your 14" rims clear the disc brakes with the Scarebird setup, 15" should be plenty of room for me.

I think you guys have talked me into going with the 215s.

Thanks for all the tips.

My 215's fill in the wheel wells nicely. I'm running 15 inch wheels not 14 inch.
                      VTCI# 11860
                      58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                        • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by bird 60
                        Forgot to mention, mine are Cokers as well. 225/75R14.

Chris....From OZ.
                        Many thanks Chris. Any troubles getting them on/off in the rears?
                        Diesel Dave

Comment

• Diesel Dave
                          • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
                          My 215's fill in the wheel wells nicely. I'm running 15 inch wheels not 14 inch.
                          Thanks! Think I crossed a wire on the wheel diameter!

Dave
                          Diesel Dave

Comment

• Howard Prout
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 11 2009

I run on 215/70R14 Firestones mounted on mid-70s Granada 14" x 6" rims to accomodate the disc brakes on my front axle. Unfortunately the Firestones only have a 1" white stripe. I would have preferred 2-1/4" whitewalls (as OEM equipped) but the only supplier I could find was Diamondback. However they vulcanize the whitewall onto a blackwall tire - not a process I have a lot of confidence in as, in my opinion, it compromises the integrity of the tire structure. However, Diamondback has been selling these tires for a long time and are obviously satisfied with the safety of their tires. As a matter of fact, I ran with H70-14 bias ply Uniroyals that had valcanized 2-1/4" whitewalls for several years with no problems. I couldn't justify the cost of the Diamondbacks given that many industry experts, including several car manufacturers, suggest that tires should be discarded within five to seven years of their production date. I considered tires with 2-1/2" whitewalls but they were too wide for my liking. I was able to get the Firestones with a date code less than three monts old so I will run them for seven years and then replace them.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Howard Prout; February 15, 2013, 09:18 AM. Reason: editing
                            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• RustyNCa
                              Super-Experienced
                              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Howard Prout
                              I would have preferred 2 1/4" whitewalls but the only supplier I could find was Diamondback. However they vulcanize the whitewall onto a blackwall tire - not a process I have a lot of confidence in.
                              Here are some terrible photos I took of the day I test fit the Diamondbacks off our 65 special on the 58.

They are 15x7 front 15x8 rear rims. Tires are 245/60 front 255/60 rear.

If I remember right the rear was a very tight fit on the upper bar, and the front didn't clear the Wilwood disc brakes.

The look didn't really work for me anyway.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by YellowRose; February 15, 2013, 01:10 AM. Reason: Downsized Pix To 800x600. Please Keep Pix To This Size Or Smaller

Comment

• triple60squares
                                Experienced
                                • Jan 25 2013

rusty, did you drive the 58 with those tires on it? the reason i ask is i am going to run 15"tires on my 60 and i want to run 60 series at least on the back and just curious what i can get away with as far as clearences
                                60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
                                60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
                                60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎