Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boilermaker27
    • Sep 15 2009

1966 gas tank placement

I am in the process of restoring a 1966 Thunderbird convertible. I removed the trunk as it was pretty well rotted away. I am now in the process of installing the new trunk panels but have just realized that I did not take any measurements on the placement of the lug that holds the strap for the gas tank. I measured the top lug above the gas tank and it is 7 inches from the side of the frame. So, I know it has to be 7 inces from the side as it must line up with the top lug. What I do not know is where to place the lug on the new trunk panel. If anyone has any way to measure this it would be greatly appreciated. I think the easiest way to measure this would be to measure from the center of the rear axle back to the edge of this lug where it is welded to the bottom of the trunk panel. I don't think the gas tank will be in the way, the strap will be in the slot but if a measurement can be taken just from the front of that lug I think I can get it close enough. Big challenge and little hope of any results but don't know where else to go. Thanks
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Get your measurement from the old gas tank. If you are buying a new tank, get the measurement from that one. The straps conveniently sit inside grooves in the tank.

So, even if you completely remove your trunk steel, you can still replace it. Use the tank dimensions and character lines for placing your attachment points.

The factory usually puts some sort of padding between the tank and the trunk floor. Use anything you like as long as it doesn't absorb water.

Also, ground your tank well. I drill a hole in a corner, away from the seam weld, and use a #10-24 brass or stainless machine screw with a nut. Then, make a copper jumper wire and attach it to your frame. Do not depend on spot welds and painted panels to conduct fuel gauge power back to ground. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• boilermaker27
      • Sep 15 2009

thanks for the information. What you say about the ground is a great idea and I will do that. I see what you mean about the placement of the straps and attachment point. I never had the old gas tank but do have the new gas tank, but I don't have the straps to hold it in place. I am going to take a look around today at a few junk yards and maybe can come up with a 64-66 Thunderbird or Galaxie and climb underneath and get some kind of a rough measurement. I would like to get the attachment points installed before I put in the new trunk panels so I don't have to weld it overhead when I am ready to install the tank. Thanks you.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Rockauto.com has:
        1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD 6.4L 390cid V8 : Fuel/Air : Fuel Tank Strap SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # ST111 Price $18.98/Set

Rockauto is a member here and they offer 5% off with their discount code. For twenty bucks per set, don't waste your time at the bone yard. These are new in the box. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎