No announcement yet.

Tranny cooler

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny cooler

What kind of fluid is cooling the tranny? Is it coolant or tranny fluid? I'm thinking of replacing my radiator with a new aluminum one but it is impossible to find a new radiator for the 61-63 thunderbirds so I want to make sure I can just replace the tranny lines from the original radiator with a new after market tranny cooler.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

The transmission fluid is being cooled, no green coolant goes to the transmission. In one of the radiator side tanks, the transmission fluid is piped through a radiator type of device to expose the fluid to the coolant.

You can get transmission coolers. They look like little radiators. They connect to your transmission lines. They are usually mounted ahead of the radiator.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Im looking at a few options right now. I know how they work but i wasnt sure about it was ran through the radiator, thanks. B&M also makes a tranny temp gauge that im also considering installing. I just want to make sure I can unhook the lines from the tranny to the radiator without causing problems. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎