X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Insurance Appraisal in Michigan

I need to put insurance on the bird so I can take her out for her first drive in more than 40 years. I live in Michigan and am open to suggestions on insurance companies.

The classic car insurance guys want an appraisal. Has anyone had their tbird appraised for insurance purposes in Michigan? anywhere else? I'm looking for a referral from a happy customer.

Thanks
    Kevin
  • REM
    Apprentice
    • Mar 28 2011

I have coverage by Grundy and have had Hagerty in the past and didn't need an appraisal with either.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kevin a current appraisal is beneficial twofold: 1) For the insurance company to base their premium to you on ( should anything happen and the car ( God forbid ) get written off. That way they and you know exactly what the appraised value is??
      2) For your benefit as you may have put in thousands of $$ into a restoration / new parts / replace the engine or a whole hord of cash outlay. I have what we call in Canada a 19E clause in my policies for the two (2) birds that states I only drive them less than 500 km per year as classic vehicles. This also ensures that the " full appraised value of the TBirds " are payable should the need arise...
      We have discussed this topic several times on this site over the years and many members do NOT obtain current appraisals even though they have put their hard earned $$ into these classics. As a rule I get mine done every two (2) years and sooner, if I would have to replace the motor / driveshaft / transmission or big ticket items for whatever reason. Also check the fine print on your policy and ask questions if using an insurance broker, as to exactly what the liability of the insurance company will be in certain situations. Better safe than sorry
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

...same as Richard, Hagarty didn't ask for an appraisal on either of my Ford cars.
        Much of it has to do with how much you cover the car for. If the car is clearly worth much more than you are covering for, they will be happy with just the pictures. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

I just moved to Hagerty this week, and my agent told me that they only require an appraisal if you are wanting to insure for a value of $25,000 or greater.

Previously, I had it insured with my "normal" car insurance company, but only for the purchase price. Any more than that, and they wanted appraisals done.

Annual cost between the two insurors was dang near identical, but now I have a coverage level that is more appropriate.
          Last edited by Dakota Boy; August 8, 2011, 09:31 PM.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• redstangbob
            Experienced
            • Feb 18 2011

I'm in Michigan, and I'm with Grundy. I told them what I thought the car was worth (retail), and supplied 2 pictures in an email. No muss-no fuss, they covered me. Because of our unlimited medical in Michigan, rates are a little higher than the rest of the country, but still way cheaper than my regular auto insurance carrier.

Comment

• kevin_tbird
              Experienced
              • Jun 12 2011

I think I am going to need appraisals. I have (nearly) completed a full concurs rotisserie style restoration of a early sunroof model. I'm not sure where the value will end up, but expect it to be well over the 25k where the insurance companies start requiring an appraisal.

Still look for recommendations on appraisers in Michigan

Kevin

Comment

• redstangbob
                Experienced
                • Feb 18 2011

This is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head. Do your homework, this is not an endorsement.

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Give International vehicle Appraisers Network, I-VAN, a look. I've talked to them in the past, seem to be reputable, you be the judge.

Go to http://www.i-van.org/ , under contacts are two individuals listed in Michigan.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• c4clewis
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 18 2010

Grundy will ensure WELL over 25k without an appraisal. They have "agreed upon value", essentially you insure it for the amount you want and they cover it. I had to submit pictures and the car had to be at least 85% complete.

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 12 2011

I've been quoted by both Grundy and Hagerty. Grundy is about 25% less expensive. Has anyone actually had claim experience with either of them? I know lots of people who have the insurance - none who have filed a claim.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎