This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

that belongs in Scale Auto magazine!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

GREAT job!!! I have bought up like 10 model kits of the Monogram ī58 on Ebay a few years ago. They are all the same base model, but in different colored plastic in order to make them look different. Thereīs an red hard top, a green cab, a light blue "La Bamba" but they all are the same kit. Even the cabriolet have the roof as a loose part. Then there is the "3-in 1", but itīs the same base but with a extra bag of parts. One day when I donīt have anything to do ( whenever THAT is... ? ), I will build them. And I will for sure save your pics and do one like you did as well. Excillent job!!
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM

texwardfan is on a distinguished road

Holman & Moody built seven of these that were purchased by several different teams for the 1959 Nascar season. The one I did was owned by Bud Burdick from Nebraska and driven by John Beauchamp who was from Iowa. He was flagged the winner of the first Daytona 500 but later they gave it to Lee Petty. Many people felt that Petty was a lap down and the win should have stayed with Beauchamp. Petty's wife was his lap scorer so you can see why they thought that way. Beauchamp himself was keeping up with who he passed and who passed him and was sure that he had won the race. He was not surprised though when they took it away from him the next day. Bill France loved the idea of a photo finish for the publicity it brought his new track and that clearly showed that Petty was ahead even though he was a lap down.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Texwardfan, I found the kit on ebay. Does the hard top come with it?
I was at my local Michael's store today. Its kind of like Hobby Lobby and they had the kit for $24.95. If you have one in your area they might have one too. You can print out a 40% off coupon from the internet and save yourself 10 bucks.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Experienced

Buckaroo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Next time we go to the "big city" I will check it out. For right now I ordered one over the internet.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Apprentice

The Arkansas Traveler is on a distinguished road

Glad to see that someone is getting some car building done. Too cold for the shop. I see the opportunity to use these models for working out concepts and color schemes in the future. Nice.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 AM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by texwardfan View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't let this go. For as beautiful as it is, you do realize that you don't have the right engine in it. The H-M-built Grand National stock cars ran 430s with a heavy-duty 3-speed stick-shift transmission from a '59 Mercury. Find a built-up model of a '58-'60 or '61-'67 Lincoln and use the 430 from it. AMT reissued the '66-'7 Lincoln Continental Convertible back in the '90s that can be used as well. It looks like you found a 3-speed transmission, but if someone else is wanting to model it they use one from a late '50s-early '60s Ford car/truck or Mercury, scratch-build one or modify one from a non-FoMoCo car as well.

BTW the story of the Beauchamp/Petty controversy was told to me by an old mechanic from western Iowa who used to be Beauchamp's crew chief when I was researching my first T-bird history book in the early '90s. He pulled out a scrap book covering Beauchamp's career from dirt tracks in the Midwest through the end of his driving career, including several articles from the Omaha World-Herald about the lead-up to the race and the days afterwards. I wanted to run the story about how he got short-changed because of Petty's wife's conflict of interest in being the official lap-counter, and how the Good-Old-Boy system (Beauchamp was an outsider because he wasn't from the South) also played a factor, but my editor nixed mention of it out of fear that the France and Petty empires would sue them for defamation of character, etc. After I heard this story and did some more research I gave up watching NASCAR and put it in the same league as professional wrestling (which the World-Herald would always refer to as "rassling" in a pointed jab at how matches were pre-determined for their entertainment value).
Old 02-22-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't let this go. For as beautiful as it is, you do realize that you don't have the right engine in it. The H-M-built Grand National stock cars ran 430s with a heavy-duty 3-speed stick-shift transmission from a '59 Mercury. Find a built-up model of a '58-'60 or '61-'67 Lincoln and use the 430 from it. AMT reissued the '66-'7 Lincoln Continental Convertible back in the '90s that can be used as well. It looks like you found a 3-speed transmission, but if someone else is wanting to model it they use one from a late '50s-early '60s Ford car/truck or Mercury, scratch-build one or modify one from a non-FoMoCo car as well.

BTW the story of the Beauchamp/Petty controversy was told to me by an old mechanic from western Iowa who used to be Beauchamp's crew chief when I was researching my first T-bird history book in the early '90s. He pulled out a scrap book covering Beauchamp's career from dirt tracks in the Midwest through the end of his driving career, including several articles from the Omaha World-Herald about the lead-up to the race and the days afterwards. I wanted to run the story about how he got short-changed because of Petty's wife's conflict of interest in being the official lap-counter, and how the Good-Old-Boy system (Beauchamp was an outsider because he wasn't from the South) also played a factor, but my editor nixed mention of it out of fear that the France and Petty empires would sue them for defamation of character, etc. After I heard this story and did some more research I gave up watching NASCAR and put it in the same league as professional wrestling (which the World-Herald would always refer to as "rassling" in a pointed jab at how matches were pre-determined for their entertainment value).

As hard as it was to find the kit there is no way I was going to look for the right engine. This model is what we call a shelfer and exact detail and correctness is not what I do. All I could try and do was get the color right. I googled some pictures of 430's and they were all black with white air cleaners and fans so that's about as close as I could get. I think you should build one of these and post the pictures so we can see what the car really looked like.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Cool model. Very nice build.

The 352 was his practice engine ......he was saving the 430 for the race......

Eric