Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Wadman
    • Dec 2 2013

1959 Thunderbir 430 Engine Harness

I have just installed the rebuilt 430 engine in my 1959 Thunderbird. I'm having a problem finding a new engine bay harness for my car. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Bob
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

There are two harnesses in the engine bay. One is the guage feed that goes from the firewall across the top of the engine and over to the heater and solenoid. The other is the headlight harness that goes from the firewall to the voltage regulator, horns, lights, generator and then to the solenoid. The guage feed is the one that gets the most abuse with the heat, oil and movement, Both are readily available.
    Carl

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Are you referring to an electrical harness? If so, you can easily make one. Follow the electrical diagrams in the TRL for wire colors.

Are you using a generator? If so, it needs a Field wire (#16AWG), an Armature wire (#10) and a ground wire (#14), all going to your Voltage Regulator. (3-wires)

The Temp Sending Unit and Oil sending unit use #18. (2-wires)

The pink ballast wire (1960 only) is for the + terminal of your coil, and a black wire also connects to the same coil terminal and it goes to your starter solenoid ('I' terminal). The negative side of your coil has one wire that feeds your distributor points. (3-wires)

The last two wires are heavy #6, one for your starter motor and the ground. (2-wires)

Altogether you only have ten wires.

The neutral switch (start wire), Stop Light Switch, horn and GEN light wires add five more but they don't go to the engine. That's it other than headlights,parking lights. (four more).

Questions? Please ask. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Robert Wadman
        • Dec 2 2013

430 Engine Harness

I would like to find and buy both of the harnesses that go to the engine. Is there a company that produces good, original looking, harnesses that you could recommend. I'm restoring a 1959 Thunderbird Convertible with a "double J" VIN. The 430 engine is rebuilt and installed, but I'm running it non-original wires. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        Sincerely, Bob Wadman

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

All of the Thunderbird vendors carry the wiring harnesses that Carl described. I believe they are all made by the same manufacturer so shop around for the best deal. I would send Carl a PM or email. He can give you more info as to how close they are to the originals. He may also have them in stock.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• toddgilroy
            Experienced
            • Aug 30 2014

I have ordered some harnesses from a couple of the vendors and both were made by Bauer Electronics in Bend, Oregon.

Chris Olsen at Bauer is very helpful if you have questions. I was searching for 1960 electric window harnesses but all the vendors only list them for 1958-59. Chris confirmed the harnesses would work fine in a 60.

I think their harnesses match up very well with the original colors and connectors. Makes for an original look and ease of installation. Here is a photo of the new dash harness ignition switch connections.

He will send you schematics of the harnesses and they will sell direct, but at about the same price as the vendors.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by toddgilroy; February 4, 2015, 10:04 PM. Reason: Adding photo
            Todd Gilroy
            1960 Tbird Convertible
            Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎