X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Reverse Brake Bleeder Kit

Car Care for the Perfectionist! Polishes, waxes, cleaners, polishers, foaming systems, detailing supplies, and accessories. We make it, we guarantee it!

I just ran across this device.

I have never seen this approach before.

Anyone use it or have thoughts if it is better to go up instead of down?

TIA for input.
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I use the mighty vac which pulls fluid from the master cyl. toward each wheel cyl. Problem is the air wants to go in the opposite direction so the air has to be "pulled" along with the fluid - it's always worked but this new device (at least new to me) looks even better.

You would be "pushing" the fluid the opposite direction it naturally wants to go but it appears it would be easier to rid the system of air.

Hope someone has used it and can give us a first hand account - seems a bit on the expensive side though - jmho.

Good find - thanks,

Eric,
    registry 5347

Comment

• REM
      Apprentice
      • Mar 28 2011

I use a Phoenix brand bleeder that is the same by a different company.

At times it is better than other methods but not always.
      If the air is in a wheel cylinder from replacing the cylinder or rebuilding it it is easier to push it out the bleeder in the conventional way. Why try to push the air all the way back through the system?
      If the master cyl has gone dry and there is air near the master or all through the system the reverse bleeder is quicker and better.
      I use which ever seems to best fit the application.
      When doing brake work I make an effort not to let the system leak dry. It makes the job much easier.
      The reverse bleeder is great for flushing the system.
      Pump out (empty) the master and push new fluid back through the system until you get new fluid coming into the master. Repeat at each wheel.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Jim, we have seen all kinds of bleeders with prices spread all over the map. I guess 'price' is the major concern, otherwise nothing beats the factory method of evacuating and filling right from the filler cap. The whole evac and fill cycle takes less than one minute for the whole system. No need to 'bench bleed'.

Anyone can adapt their compressor to do just that. If your reservoir has some brake fluid in it, evacuating will suck out any air (there ain't much) and it will naturally be replaced with reservoir fluid as soon as the vacuum is removed.

I have kicked around the idea of making a hand-held evacuator out of PVC pipe, much like a long-stroke bicycle pump. One inch of mercury = ~7-psi. 200-lbs/7=28.5-InHg. That should be close enough on a static system with hardly any volume. Hope you get the idea. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

Ahhh, Good info from all...

So I was looking at the Phoenix site and came across this "test strip". It appears to be some sort of litmus test but not just for moisture.

How about this?

What's the best brake fluid tester? For an always accurate and simple test, use brake fluid test strips from Phoenix Systems. Check your brake fluid easily with BrakeStrips.

Thanks
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎