Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwracing00
    Apprentice
    • Nov 3 2012

UPDATE!!!!! i forgot to get pictures today but will tomorrow, the hood is on the motor is in the trans is at the shop getting rebuilt so that will go in later.

but today a lot got done, all the interior parts were painted after i took a color photo scan to get a paint code for the interior i painted it all and the dash pad steering column so now the entire dash front window can all come together . also the headlights are done the emblems are on door handles are on and the windows started going in today.

enjoy a few pictures.

just got the correct style knobs and everything the other day so tomorrow i will finish up the dash this car is coming together soo nicely.

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Looks fantastic! Great job!!
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

One tip on the instrument panel and glove box. Ford painted the insides to keep down the glare and just left shiny chrome around the edge. They also painted the inside of the instrument bezels and radio bezel. I believe they used argent silver or flat clear. I used aluminum paint on mine and it looks close to factory. Nothing wrong with having it shiny the way you do. Just not concours correct if that matters to you.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bwracing00
          Apprentice
          • Nov 3 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
          One tip on the instrument panel and glove box. Ford painted the insides to keep down the glare and just left shiny chrome around the edge. They also painted the inside of the instrument bezels and radio bezel. I believe they used argent silver or flat clear. I used aluminum paint on mine and it looks close to factory. Nothing wrong with having it shiny the way you do. Just not concours correct if that matters to you.

John

i think i know what your talking about but can you show a pictures

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here are a couple pictures. If you need more close up pictures let me know.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

It is just the closest parts of the stripes that schould be shiny chrome, the lower part suppose to be matte. That can be done by simply paint matte silver or matte clear cote and then wipe off the top parts. One way to do this is to put a bit of wool cloth ( an old T-shirt or so ) and stretch it firmly around something that is not too hard. I use cork for two reasons. It just have the perfect hardness, but it don´t suck up any liquid either. Then I put some Thinner on the cloth and gently wipe with the stripes. Just so much thinner that it stays in the cloth. Last wipe is dry without anything, so the top surface becomes polished.
              Attached Files
              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• partsetal
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 4 2005

Many have discovered that they can clean up their dash panels and have the chrome gleaming nicely, but when the car left the factory only the outside borders as shown by Jopizz showed the chrome. The ribs and grooves were painted with a clear matte finish. The 58-60 VTCI OFS indicates that argent silver is an acceptable replacement for this coating.
                Carl

Comment

• bwracing00
                  Apprentice
                  • Nov 3 2012

HUGE update it was a very very busy day enjoy the progress pictures.the majority of this was all done in 1 day.

started installing and assembling
                  the steering column today.

still waiting on some seals and weatherstrip

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

60 bird restoration

Brandon, I have been following this thread (as I follow all of them) with great interest! The work being done on this Tbird is fantastic! I am not normally one who likes a green color for my cars, but this color really stands out. You are doing fantastic work, and thanks so much for posting all the pix. We get to watch an old Tbird come back to life again before our eyes.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

busy day enjoy the progress pictures.the majority of this was all done in 1 day.
                      obviously more than one person working on it, correct?

Comment

• newbird59
                        Experienced
                        • Dec 27 2011

I'm loving this thread! Great color of this bird, I must say! Your attention to detail is awesome.

p.s. there has been some chatter about the Argent Silver paint for the glovebox door and instrument panel. I'm on the same boat as a few others on this correct paint color BUT that chrome is amazing! I'd question hiding that with paint!

I cant wait to see more!!

--David
                        1960 Thunderbird
                        429 TJ
                        C6 Tranny
                        Under Construction

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

David, as strange as it sounds, the "brushed chrome" look needs to be maintained. Otherwise, it doesn't match and looks rather odd.

I had the radio face plate rechromed on our Galaxie. The chrome looks gorgeous but it doesn't match or flow with the rest of the dash as it used to because they had 'lines' that appeared to be brushed.
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bwracing00
                            Apprentice
                            • Nov 3 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
                            Brandon, I have been following this thread (as I follow all of them) with great interest! The work being done on this T-bird is fantastic! I am not normally one who likes a green color for my cars, but this color really stands out. You are doing fantastic work, and thanks so much for posting all the pix. We get to watch an old T-bird come back to life again before our eyes.
                            Thank you, yes its always amazing watching an old bird come back to life. as for the color i think the reason it is a one year only color that everyone actually likes it and WOW it has so much metallic when the sun its it.simply amazing. I think we are maybe restoring a 59 hardtop for the same owner I am.not sure yet. It is still in talks.

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
                            obviously more than one person working on it, correct?
                            yes we had 5ppl working on it that day. usually three people are working on it everyday im sure next week will be 2-3 people that day we had just gotten a few more boxes and decided to thrash plus the owner loves when he sees that much progress in one day.

Originally posted by newbird59
                            I'm loving this thread! Great color of this bird, I must say! Your attention to detail is awesome.

p.s. there has been some chatter about the Argent Silver paint for the glovebox door and instrument panel. I'm on the same boat as a few others on this correct paint color BUT that chrome is amazing! I'd question hiding that with paint!

I cant wait to see more!!

--David
                            We are discussing with owner and boss about what should be done so i will keep everyone updated.

As for detail we thrive for perfection and want it as perfect as possible.
                            Last edited by bwracing00; December 22, 2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• bwracing00
                              Apprentice
                              • Nov 3 2012

I got the carpet all installed and center console and passenger side almost all done. There are 2pieces of carpet i cannot figure for the life of me where they go. Im sure you thunderbird professionals will know better then me here are the pieces that need a spot. Thank you all in advanced.

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Those two pieces go over the humps in the back between the bottom carpet and tuck under the front edge of the back seat and on either side of the console. The slots are for the back seat brackets that hold the bottom of the back seat down. It looks like you have a piece of carpet there or you have the bottom carpet bent up. I can't tell. You should have a total of ten pieces. Two long pieces on either side of the console, two long pieces along the rocker panel, those two pieces on the uprights in the back and the four flat pieces that cover the floors.

John

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎