• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Winterizing and Winter Storage

Greetings All -

For those in colder climates, how do you winterize and prepare for storage? I'm going to be needing to store the batmobile in an off-site probably for 5-6 months. Amherst is a first ring suburb of Buffalo - - need I say more..?

Anyway, the frost is almost on the pumpkin and our detached unheated garage will soon be occupied by our day to day cars. So...heated space is what I'm going to shoot for for the Tbird, but it gets kind of expensive here unless you luck into something. Rates seem to be in $40 range per month for secure, dry but unheated space. I haven't got a quote yet for heated, but based on past experience, probably double that for heated.

Other than checking coolant to ensure -20F protection, remove battery, toss a couple moth balls under seat and in trunk for good measure (helps keep mice at bay..or so I've heard?) and of course a good cover, what else should I be thinking about? Is "put her up on blocks" just an expression, or should I be in the market for jack stands?

We had a great time with the car this summer! Had her out for a couple weekend/weeklong adventures in the 150-200mile round trip category. Car drove like a dream and I had no on road issues! We spent a week tooling around the Silver Lake / Letchworth State Park area and had a weekend wedding in Dunkirk NY, with a nice cruise in the Chautauqua County hills ! Went to one of the last remaining Drive-Ins in Perry NY and learned that the over-the-radio sound that replaced the old speaker on the window style does not work on the AM dial!?! Overall put about 1,500 miles in her since spring and did not attend a single car show or cruise night. I did drive by a few on my way to someplace else...

Had to replace that 2 1/8" piece of hose between front of motor and water pump, but fortunately the leak revealed itself with a puddle on the garage floor so was no big deal. It was also fortunate that this happened, because when I removed the expansion tank to get at the hose, I saw that the thermostat wasn't seated properly, and replaced it with a 160degree, and I think that made a big improvement in my TEMP gauge readings.

For next season I'm going to look into getting the electric wiper kit...I probably have a vacuum leak somewhere but I tried to find it and didn't and I don't think its worth messing with that old system any further. Hopefully the swap-out will be within my means technically...
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

$40 a month is great, I'd have a fleet of cars if storage was that cheap. As for tires, I cut out sections of scrap plywood to park the car on as a barrier from the moist concrete. On a second car, went to a yard and bought 4 compact spare tires to bolt on the car. They are easy to store in summer and the car can still be moved in the winter if needed.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I did a search for you several ways. The one that worked best for me was winter storage As a result of that search I found this information. Click on this link and it should give you more information as to what others do before winter storage.

Last edited by YellowRose; September 19, 2010, 08:14 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

Battery Tender Plus

Stabil in a full tank of gas.

As much anti mouse gear as you can muster. They can easily ruin your headliner or other areas.
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• SandyBoy
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 31 2002

I, in New Jersey, pay $150.00 @ month for heated to 65 degrees indoor, illuminated safe & secure storage.
          I cover the car with a good cover and I disconect the battery terminal and I have the protection of anti-freeze checked, just for fun, and put like 4 x-tra pounds of air in the tires. Prior to this, I have the oil & ild filter replaced. I do not "crack" open a window. I put a citrenella candle iuder the car, as things with 4 feet hate the smell. That's about it. Been doing it for many many years & nothing bad has happened. It's a commercial place, owned by 1 man, called Car-Condo. It holds 6 cars that have the ability to go out, if & when owner needs to and 3 spaces for cars that are not leaving until like May 1. Remote control for doors, 1 is given to each renter. Plenty of overhead flourscent lighting. It's alarmed to fire & police, but little can burn as it's all concrete flooring, walls, ceiling. I was there today. It's pretty hidden off of the normal road, in back of another building that shield the Car-Condo.

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by del
            Greetings All -
            For those in colder climates, how do you winterize and prepare for storage?
            In a warm garage.
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• del
              • May 11 2010

Originally posted by YellowRose
              I did a search for you several ways. The one that worked best for me was winter storage As a result of that search I found this information. Click on this link and it should give you more information as to what others do before winter storage.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...earchid=274322
              Hi Ray - I tried your link but it came back with No Matches Found message. What did you use for search terms? Thanks, Don
              Regards,
              Don Vincent
              Amherst NY
              1960 HT 352
              TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• del
                • May 11 2010

Originally posted by GTE427
                $40 a month is great, I'd have a fleet of cars if storage was that cheap. As for tires, I cut out sections of scrap plywood to park the car on as a barrier from the moist concrete. On a second car, went to a yard and bought 4 compact spare tires to bolt on the car. They are easy to store in summer and the car can still be moved in the winter if needed.
                Hi Ken - I understand your idea with the scrap plywood. I was thinking I would lay out an old plastic tarp on the floor. But I don't get what you are saying with the compact spare tires. Are you saying that you swap out your good tires/wheels for the compacts for storage purposes?

I found a heated storage space yesterday (stays at 50 degrees during winter) for $70/month and is not too far away. He stores 15 vehicles, it is dry, clean and secure, but it's a in once/out once situation - - no real access to the car while in storage. Seems like a pretty good deal so I'm going for it from roughly Halloween until April 1. I have not been lucky enough to find anyone around here that provides storage (heated or not) where you can have access to tinker over the long winter months. That would be great!
                Regards,
                Don Vincent
                Amherst NY
                1960 HT 352
                TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by del
                  Are you saying that you swap out your good tires/wheels for the compacts for storage purposes?
                  Yes, I offered this as an option to blocking the car.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sorry Don, I grabbed the wrong webpage. I used the words winter storage to get this. You will find several tips there that might be useful to you. But I see you are getting some good information from others.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

This looks promising. A collegue to me have his vintage Porsche like this.
                      CarCapsule offers premium indoor and outdoor car storage solutions. Protect your vehicle from the elements with their innovative technology and design.
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• GTE427
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by del
                        He stores 15 vehicles, it is dry, clean and secure, but it's a in once/out once situation - - no real access to the car while in storage.
                        If you have Classic Car Insurance, check the policy or with your agent. Some --like mine-- won't cover a loss if the car is stored in a facility with others cars in a common space. The car has to be in an individual garage if stored commercially. Not the case at your residence.

A plastic vapor barrier beneath the car is a good idea.
                        Ken
                        1959 J Convertible
                        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎