X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
    You didn't read my post either. I said I would try it without it first. I didn't say to do away with it. If it bogs down with the air on then reconnect it. If not then don't use it. It looks like the way it's designed he can keep the vacuum connected to it and it will still shut off the compressor when going up a hill without having it connected to the carburetor. I imagine it was connected to the carburetor to boost the idle with the A/C on. Similar to what today's cars do by computer. That's probably why it's referred to as a "fast idle device".

John
    That is a good point about trying it first and see the response. I will keep the device around incase i need to put it back on the car once I get the AC going again.
    Thanks for the information Sir.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would definitely keep it. Even if you don't use it I'm sure there's someone out there that's looking for one for a concours correct car. I imagine they are pretty rare since they were only used for about a year and a half. Probably a lot of them were taken off and thrown away. I've had lots of Thunderbirds with A/C and I've never even seen one.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ramos291
        ...You say "today", is this something you have come up with?
        I'm not that smart. WOT switches are mounted on just about every Electronic Fuel Injected throttle body out there. They indicate, your pedal is on the floor, you need as much HP as possible right now and 'get me off the tracks!'

Back in the early '60s, 'conservation' was never high on the list. If you added a device that used HP, you simply got a bigger engine. Pretty soon, family cars had engines that hovered around 390-400 cubic inches. I NEVER thought I'd see a Cadillac with a six cylinder engine but my uncle has one.

Engineers started to re-evaluate power needed for each 'thing' to do its job. For instance, your mechanical fan. Mechanical engineers HATE the electrical guys. For this reason, de-clutching fans were introduced. After further investigation, nobody could substantiate the need to run a fan at all when the engine is cold. Electric fans only turn on when the radiator is hot. Sometimes months pass before my daily driver's fan turns on during Detroit winters. I still see trucks with a radiator cover all zipped-up because he can't stop his fan.

Just about all functions are controlled by electricity now, including the transmission shifting. The result is HUGE efficiency gains with much better allocation of power from a small engine. Grand Marquis and Crown Vic, before they were dropped, had a Romeo engine that was shy of 300 cubes. Yep, Police Interceptors, too. Back in the day they were 427s. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎