• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Post #27
    Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
    I understand. What I don't get is the fact that the coolant spits out of the expansion hose even when the engine is cold - that shouldn't be, should it? The cap should be closed when the engine is cold, no?
    Post #28
    Originally posted by simplyconnected
    Maybe your thermostat is missing.
    Post #99
    Today I also managed to install the new expansion cap and thermostat. What was my surprise when I removed the tank and found no thermostat in there . Must say that Gary had a really precise note on this previously about the thermostat missing...
    Seventy one posts later, you finally took the expansion tank loose, then thought the thermostat missing was suggested by someone else. I suspect you may not be reading these posts all the way through.

For one thing Gary, the expansion tank is a '58. They don't show both bolts for mounting the thermostat and there is a plug in the manifold. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

Post #27

Post #28

Post #99

Seventy one posts later, you finally took the expansion tank loose, then thought the thermostat missing was suggested by someone else. I suspect you may not be reading these posts all the way through.

For one thing Gary, the expansion tank is a '58. They don't show both bolts for mounting the thermostat and there is a plug in the manifold. - Dave
      Sorry Dave, didn't want to steal the credit from you - off course it was your post . I mixed it with Gary's post about the thermostat being stuck open...

Just for curiosity - any idea why the thermostat would be missing, would there be a reason for not installing it?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Anyone notice something is amiss regarding this illustration?

The ILL is calling out (description) a 59/ 430 application. But the tank is not turned but shows as an FE install but the intake is definitely MEL.

What is the ILL actually showing/suggesting?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Just for curiosity - any idea why the thermostat would be missing, would there be a reason for not installing it?
          Most likely, the thermostat stuck closed and someone removed it entirely thinking it would help overheating (which it won't).

Comment

• KULTULZ

BTW-

Installing a thermostat without having it slip and/or breaking the thermostat housing.

Place the thermostat into the tank thermostat opening. Run a string through the thermostat and tie it into a loop. Run the string out the cap opening and place a pencil into the string loop. Turn the pencil until the string is holding the thermostat taught in the opening. Install and once properly torqued, cut the string and pull it out.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ

The ILL is calling out (description) a 59/ 430 application. But the tank is not turned but shows as an FE install but the intake is definitely MEL.

What is the ILL actually showing/suggesting?
              No one knows? No educated guesses?

HINT- It has to do with a 1958 BIRD prototype.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎