X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Possibly Buying Golde Top -Bird- Guidance

Hi, Being on here many years before. I had a Golde top in 2002 to 2008, but sold it back in 2008 after the death of my Dad. Missed it since then.

SO, now, I found this nice one. Red & White, Locally, just like my old one.

I looked at it, and drove it. The Good:
    Started right up, no smoke, ran evenly, appears to be newer Stainless exhaust. Underneath, solid, no rust etc. No leaks , but did detect a power steering leak underneath . Could be gasket or that piston etc underneath. Eng looks correct and painted that way. Sunroof slides back and forth easily, headliner very good.

Heater works, fan works, Old tube radio works, and buttons are ease to push and move easily. Chrome is very good all around.

Door's closed and open easily, locks worked. A/C worked. Radio worked, even wipers worked!!! Dash pad is very good.
    Pwr Wdw;s and seat worked. Rug, good. Interior seats, worn
    except drive seat. Back is Ok, passengers side badly worned but no rips. Windows very good, but slight crack in drv side.
    Headlights work, turning signal worked. Forgot to check horn.

The Bad: (Not terrible things I think)
    WW Bias tires look old a bit worn, and tires squeal on turns, so might be low on air, need alignment, or bent spindles but I doubt that.

Gas gauge doesn't work, but I heard you can access the tank from the trunk and replace the sensor. is that true?

Dash lights don't work. Hate this, but it's not that difficult to fix one way or the other.

The front of car has lots of pitting, like a lot of little stones hit it. The very top of Hood Scoop has a spider cracking paint.

Car seems to drive good, shifts well, no kicking or stalling etc. Idles well.

He is asking (which I think is low) $10,500.

Anything else I should be concerned with. It's a dealer but selling for a friend. Not charging additional fees etc. Just temp tag to drive it home etc. Like a private sale. Friend is older and selling off 2 other classic from what he says and not feeling well. (So he says.)

Not looking for showroom but a nice presentable driver I can take to cruise nights etc. I am fairly handy, but not to the degree of taking engines out etc.

Any opinions?? Love these car, seems good , but feeling a bit nervous doing it, knowing of course you have to throw your time and money into it. It's part of the hobby. Ths guys, Always loved the squarebirds!
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Wow, even the old radio is working, that is quite seldom i believe.
    I´m a new owner myself, so can´t help you that much, but i know that you can access the fuel level float from the trunk. There is a small round plate almost in the middle, from where you can remove the float assy. I would measure the wiring first before buying a new float assy though.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• jackbird60
      Experienced
      • Nov 28 2008

Thanks Frango100, that very helpful knowing I can do that. I done it on a few cars never a 60 bird, but should be similar to do, and thanks.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Possibly Buying Golde Top -Bird- Guidiance

Jack, there is quite a bit of information I can give you, but rather than tying up this thread, if you will give me a call, I will fill you in. Or send me your phone number in a PM and I will call you on my dime.. My phone number is part of my signature element.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jackbird60
          Experienced
          • Nov 28 2008

Hey Ray, good to hear from you again and thanks. Still working. I call you when I get home and hopefully not disturbing your dinner etc. Thanks again Ray!!

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Possibly Buying Golde Top -Bird- Guidiance

Hi Jack, Okay, when you get home, please give me a call. There is a lot of information I can give you that should help you make a decision on whether to grab that Golde Top or not... Since you have owned one before, at least you will know something about that type of Squarebird! Call whenever you are free to do so.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Sounds like a great deal.

The electrical issues that you brought up are all minor. Dash lights issues are typically fixed with a new headlight switch. Fuel tank senders are cheap and relatively easy to replace.

The cracking paint is typically due to an old re-paint using a lacquer primer that shrank over time. Either that or bondo. The chips in that area are due to poor quality paint. Figure a hood re-paint.

Upholstery work is relatively inexpensive. It is here anyway- several good local shops do great work at affordable prices. Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to leather.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

The sell price of $10,500 for a Gold Top is very reasonable. As Yadkin mentioned most of the electrical ( not knowing and having it thoroughly inspected ) can be an easy fix.

Suggestion: Have a local auto shop ( hopefully with an older mechanic ) inspect the basics that you are questioning. He will provide an estimate / check list of items needing repair
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Sounds pretty reasonable to me Jack. As far as know some Golde Tops came with the 430ci, what has this one got?
                  You said you've already had one, so you're not new to the game, & you stated that you really like them. With my experience, it's not what I pay for something, but what it's going to cost to bring it to the condition that I want. All in all it sounds pretty good, how about some photos.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• jackbird60
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 28 2008

Thanks guys for all your post. Really helpful! I not sure how to upload pictures. See what I can do.

Yes, from what I can tell, the fixes are minor in nature, and the Gas gauge could be a grounding issue or new float and it's been established that I can extract that from the trunk, which is a big relief, and instruction on this site on how to do it, but I have done that on a new car.

This Sunroof Bird, is a bit more "corrected" then the last one I had. My previous one had a white vinyl roof, and a 390 and a C-6 trans, which I think gave the car a lot more pep!

But this one shouldn't be too much work. (Famous last words, right?)

But though my heart is with the squarebirds, I am thinking if I want to jump back in at age 66. I am very healthy and will be retiring soon, and thinking, this might be the time. Also, I will have more time to tinker with it. SO, yeah, still deciding. Price is right , but of course I'll see what I can get for it, if I choose. Decisions, decisions, decisions. And yes, the important thing is if you like the car. I do, especially with that Sunroof!! Thanks all!

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Possibly Buying Golde Top -Bird- Guidance

I just send Jack a PM on how to post pix on here. That Golde Top has a 352 in it, he said.

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

As long as you can see UNDER the car & confirm there is no damaging rust- Rockers, 1/4's, radiator x-member, That is a very fair price IMHO.

-Jon in TX.
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎