Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

It would be the first time that I heard the metal "pressed roller" didany damage to the track. Also brass is much softer than steel. If anything wears, it would be the brass.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Carl, maybe the factory steel rollers were chromed and slide against chromed rails?!?
      60 T-Bird, I assume Don from Bird Nest was talking about current make of steel rollers. I too guess brass would be better. Now is it better to have soft steel against chromed steel, or brass against chrome steel?
      Sorry I guess I am muddying waters.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Not muddying the waters at all. I made a couple of sets of brass rollers but have not had the time to install them. Someone ended up with the other set but I don't remember whether it was a member here or someone else that ended up with them. So I do not have any input how they worked out.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The question regarding metal window rollers has come up again. There are 2 sources for non-Brass, metal window rollers that fit both the 1955-1960 Tbirds. One source is CASCO https://www.classictbird.com/Window/products/41/2/0 and the other is Tee-Bird.com https://www.tee-bird.com/. Both sell metal window rollers $8.50 B23240M, although, presently Tee-Bird only has 6 in stock, but should be able to order more. The Tee-Bird link in a previous post is outdated and does not work. So if you are looking for good metal window rollers there are your two sources. Tee-Bird covers '55-'57 (and for Squarebirds only the metal window rollers), and '55-'56 Big Fords. Contact information for both can be found in the Advertisements Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Gentlemen, just because you can't find a Ford supplier doesn't mean you should stop looking. Ford never made any window rollers. They were a purchased part and VERY common with GM and Chrysler (Checker, Hudson, Packard) and many other applications. I don't normally suggest expanding your search but in this case we Ford guys are not alone. Everyone wants brass window rollers.

As shown in my earlier posts, the contact points of the original rollers were made of stainless. That's why I re-used the 'cupped' washer, spring and 'E-clip' on my new brass rollers. Tracks don't wear out but I've had some rust out due to Michigan salted roads.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• toddgilroy
              Experienced
              • Aug 30 2014

I have found a source for new machined brass window rollers (I think there might have been some misunderstanding of my private message to Ray earlier today).

I have a quote from a very reputable company in Lincoln, NE to make our brass rollers. They quoted me a price for a set of 12 ($338) that doesn't really make economic sense, but their price for 70 ($525) seems a lot more reasonable (they can get 70 out of one bar of brass stock). Please note, this is a quote for just the roller and not the spring, clip, washers, etc.

I am willing to place an order and sell the extras at no profit for myself (so about $100 for a set of 12 or $10/ea for less than 12, plus shipping), but I would like to get some idea how many people are interested in some brass rollers so I know whether to order 70 (5 complete sets + 10) or 140 (11 complete sets + 8).

The company is TMCO, Inc. http://www.tmcoinc.com/

Please message me or reply if you would like some brass rollers.

Thanks!
              Todd
              Todd Gilroy
              1960 Tbird Convertible
              Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Each of my Fordor's use 12, three in each window, so you shouldn't have problems finding five customers. I have brass already and have never had an issue. It's important to keep water out and keep the rollers greased on their pivots. My sidelights have an 'apron' of rubber material that diverts water away from the window scissors. It's part of the glass 'bed'.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

On the rear quarter window I used a mix of parts.
                  I used OEM rollers that Carl supplied as they were round whereas my originals were slightly "flat", OK just .005" but the others were round.
                  I used the original springs, washers and pins but went with the cups I had in plastic rollers obtained from Bird Nest. Even though those cups were slightly smaller in diameter that the originals, they still fit well the rails and were round when the originals were damaged, pitted, ...

Comment

• Sunbird60
                    • Jun 25 2017

To Tod Gilroy, I would be interested in a set of 12 rollers, I am putting my car back together & working on windows now. Have nylon rollers, but after reading forums. I am convinced I should have brass.. How long will it be before you have theses rollers ready.. I am only 50 miles from Lincoln.. How do I get a hold of you. Thanks from Gary. This is my first post so hope am doing this right

Comment

• toddgilroy
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 30 2014

Hi Gary - The rollers should be ready in a couple weeks. I will send you a private message with my contact information.

Thanks!
                      Todd Gilroy
                      1960 Tbird Convertible
                      Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Sunbird60
                        • Jun 25 2017

Hi Todd, I am definetly interested in a complete set of rollers. I shall hold up on putting windows in. I have plenty to do. I am working on my 60 Sunroof, had it painted Ford white chocolate last year.. I also have a 60 Htp painted Ford laser red with a white opalescent top. Had both for about 30 yrs.. Thanks. Gary

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

Originally posted by partsetal
                          The metal rollers were original from new, and having dismantled many window mechanisms I have never seen one track damaged from roller wear. I've seen bent tracks, broken tracks and tracks damaged from broken rollers but none damaged from roller wear. Interesting!
                          This is just my 2 cents, but my reason for going to the brass rollers was NOT the wear factor to the rails or rollers, but the bearing contact of the roller to the pin on the regulator. The stamped steel rollers would wear on the bearing contact to the regulator pin and when that became a really sloppy fit, the roller will not function properly. I had a lot of rollers where the center bearing surface was badly worn and elongated, which really gave the roller a sloppy fit to the window track. If the steel rollers had a wear pattern like this, I can only imagine how long the nylon ones would last. The brass rollers have a full contact bearing surface to the regulator pin and should last forever, giving you good window alignment repeatability. This is the reason I went to the brass rollers.
                          Nyles

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 30 2010

I agree with Nyles - the problem is the bearing contact between the stamped steel rollers and the regulator pin. The plastic rollers are just not strong enough, especially for the quarter windows. After 4 years, the brass rollers in my quarter window still work perfectly,

Comment

• kimmc
                              Experienced
                              • Mar 5 2014

To Todd Gilroy: Hi Todd. I would also like a set of 12 brass rollers for my '59 convertible. Please send me a note that you received this. Thank you much. Kim Mc

Comment

• Anders
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by toddgilroy
                                I have found a source for new machined brass window rollers (I think there might have been some misunderstanding of my private message to Ray earlier today).

I have a quote from a very reputable company in Lincoln, NE to make our brass rollers. They quoted me a price for a set of 12 ($338) that doesn't really make economic sense, but their price for 70 ($525) seems a lot more reasonable (they can get 70 out of one bar of brass stock). Please note, this is a quote for just the roller and not the spring, clip, washers, etc.

I am willing to place an order and sell the extras at no profit for myself (so about $100 for a set of 12 or $10/ea for less than 12, plus shipping), but I would like to get some idea how many people are interested in some brass rollers so I know whether to order 70 (5 complete sets + 10) or 140 (11 complete sets + 8).

The company is TMCO, Inc. http://www.tmcoinc.com/

Please message me or reply if you would like some brass rollers.

Thanks!
                                Todd
                                Todd, I am VERY interested in a set for my ´58. Its been awhile since I took the stuff out on the door, but I still have a clear memory that mine was in two different sizes. Never the less, I would like to order one set. Do you make the stainless washers also? If so, I like to have them as well. I can pay you from here, and if its OK with you, you can send them to our office in Camarillo Ca, and someone will bring them when they visit us here in Sweden. That way shipping is much cheaper and I don't have to pay custom and tax on value, shipping and custom as well....
                                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎