Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Where did you buy this kit? And from who? Do you remember if the 5500 bushings looked like the one in the drawing ( black & in one piece ) or if they where made of urethane in a light color and made of a few pieces?
    Nearly every bushing is replaced on my car approx. 5 years ago and in excellent condition. Itīs just these that are missing.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Got the nut out tonight!

It worked with a 24mm wrench that I cut and velded in two 90 degree angels like a stair, so I got the handle parallel approx 1" off the ring.

Now back to hunt these bushings
      Last edited by Anders; May 17, 2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

Anders, congratulations on getting that nut off. Where there is a will, there is always a way! Good luck on hunting for those bushings. At least you know that you can get them from Rare Parts. They certainly have them, though they are not cheap.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Bushings ...

As a last resort you could get some polyurethane stock and drill and machine them to size on a lathe. Burn out the old rubber ones and after cleaning and accurately measuring the openings machine the new poly ones a few thousandths over for an interference fit. The center steel insert that the bolt goes through can be made from steel tube stock. Tapper one end slightly and press in to the new bushing, again using a slight interference fit. You can probably make or have these made for the same price as rubber and they will improve your handling over stock. Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,
            Now that is what I'm talking about! Where there is a will there is a way. Way to go Mike!!! There are alway other ways to get the project done
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

Things are suddenly looking good at the moment.
              Yesterday I found out theres a place, like 3 minutes from me, that makes rubber bushings....... And one guy there, who like old American cars....
              For the front bushing they will use the centre part of the excisting bushing and "mold" ( vulcanisera in Swedish.... ) it with new rubber. The Industrial way. No hobbywork.
              For the rear bushing, I have ordered new centre piece ( from a friend who have his own very advanced machine shop company doing tools for machines = for free ) with much better tolerances ( Original was one metal tube in another, and to much play for my taste ) and they will "mold" these as well. Of course slightly oversized and press it into the upper link arm. It will be very close to original, but way better than everything else that is possible to buy. And a lot cheeper. Around 17 dollar each. ( and no shipping, custom and stuff..... )
              The hardest avalible rubber at this moment is 70 shore. It seems as being quite close to original as well, reading from an earlier post by Jed Zimmerman.

"The 80 is just a little harder than the original bushings and appears to hold up very well.

Iīm getting there! Iīm getting there!
              Last edited by Anders; May 18, 2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

That is great news, Anders! Where there is a will, there is a way!!!!!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                  Things are suddenly looking good at the moment.
                  Yesterday I found out theres a place, like 3 minutes from me, that makes rubber bushings....... And one guy there, who like old American cars....
                  For the front bushing they will use the centre part of the excisting bushing and "mold" ( vulcanisera in Swedish.... ) it with new rubber. The Industrial way. No hobbywork.
                  For the rear bushing, I have ordered new centre piece ( from a friend who have his own very advanced machine shop = for free ) with much better tolerances ( Original was one metal tube in another, and to much play for my taste ) and they will "mold" these as well. Of course slightly oversized and press it into the upper link arm. It will be very close to original, but way better than everything else that is possible to buy. And a lot cheeper. Around 17 dollar each. ( and no shipping, custom and stuff..... )
                  The hardest avalible rubber at this moment is 70 shore. It seems as being quite close to original as well, reading from an earlier post by Jed Zimmerman.

"The 80 is just a little harder than the original bushings and appears to hold up very well.

Iīm getting there! Iīm getting there!
                  So can you get an extra set done while you are at it

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Naaaa.....
                    I donīt want to push them more than I do at this moment.
                    But at least I know how to solve this in the future

But I have thought about doing a series of 100 and sell to the US Vendors to be honest. 100 would be for 25 cars, so there could be a market perhaps.
                    I can easy compete with the 200 dollars for a set of 4....

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Good idea, Anders! I am sure you will find some of our members on here, like Bryan who owns a '58 Tbird, who would like to get a set for their '58 Tbird. There are a number of '58 tbird owners who are users on this Forum...

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Ok, ...so you don't want to ask for more than four, (to help RustyNCA) but you are willing to make 100 at US$25/each? What's up with that?

Rusty, I'm sure you can find ready-made bushings for under eight bucks each. I just saw some for a Mustang you can probably cut out, for under six bucks each. Find the dimensions you need and we'll search some OEM bushings. Our friends at Speedway Motors will help.
                        - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Oooh-oooh...
                          I never read his comments as he needed a set, but more like if I could do some extras "while I are at it", and as I donīt need more than one set at this time, I didnīt ask them to do more than I need.....

As I will re-use the centre of the front ones, I would need to make all the parts from scratch, but yes, If anyone need a set I can look inte what it would cost.
                          The number "100" was more a quick thought that it would probably be easier to get a better price with some volume than trying to turn into " a businessman and earn money on this"......
                          If I can made them done for around 80-90 dollar / set, and than shipping on that, +100 dollar / set would be way too high price for them to sell to a Vendor, even without any profit.
                          And I donīt want to make a profit anyway on any member on this forum .
                          Perhaps see how mine works before promice anyone else that this is the only way?
                          Most probably there must be companies within USA that do the same thing, and that will be cheeper to do it over there? I will take some pictures here that shows how these are made.
                          RustyNCa: You got a PM
                          Last edited by Anders; May 19, 2010, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Dutchbird
                            Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                            Where did you buy this kit? And from who? Do you remember if the 5500 bushings looked like the one in the drawing ( black & in one piece ) or if they where made of urethane in a light color and made of a few pieces?
                            Nearly every bushing is replaced on my car approx. 5 years ago and in excellent condition. Itīs just these that are missing.
                            I bought it in the States from a guy that isn't active in cars/parts anymore for some time I believe.
                            (Will check for you if still necessary, PM me if you want me to do so...)
                            Sorry for now but I don't want to put someones name on the web who's not involved in parts anymore .. in my understanding at this moment.
                            Can't remember the color of these specific bushings, just know I had some of them in black and some of them in red/orange in my kit.

Great to read you made some progress on Ruth and if the rest of your bushings are good, DON'T buy a kit Anders but go for the upper ones only!!! (I couldn't buy the bushings separately 6 years ago)
                            Or go the route you're doing now, making them yourself.

Good luck, please keep us informed!

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

Here are some pics before I go "rubber production" tomorrow
                              First pic shows all of the parts, including my "special " tool.
                              2:nd is showing old and new center part of the rear bushing. Last pic shows the front position as it came out ( incl the washer & nut that was inside the coil spring bowl) . Not much rubber left in there.... It was the same all over.....
                              The center part of the front is now cleaned and will be re-used.
                              Yes. New bolts will be adjusted.
                              To be contineud
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Coral
                                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

TALK about some worn out bits, WOW

Anders! PLEASE get that greasy mess off that lovely wood floor, surely you have cardboard overseas!

I hope you can photograph SOME of the new parts production, I do understand if they have issues about it though, but it is very interesting to me...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎