This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

elijahbird7 is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Convertible Trunk Not Opening

Yesterday, I opened the trunk twice in a usual manner. Put it back in it's storage spot, pushed the button, and nothing happened. I did hear a click somewhere, but not from the rear solenoids opening. It seemed to be coming from the right side of the interior somewhere. I have the Shop Manual, Electrical Manual and the Convertible Manual. After reading through everything, the only thing that made sense was "Luggage Compartment Lock Relay" as the possible cause. Pulled out my parts catalogs, and the only one I could find who listed it was Pat Wilson Tbird Parts. So I ordered that yesterday and it shipped today, but there was no photo of that relay. The diagrams I saw in the above manuals seem to mostly show the relay on the passenger side of the interior, behind the upper part of the dash far right side. Today I took off that bottom section of that lower side of the dash, and could not see anything that looked like a Relay up there.. So, where is it? Should I remove the glove box to see if it is behind that area? There is also one diagram that shows that relay on the driver's side, but I hope that is not where it is....
I'm sure somebody has found that thing. I was hoping it was actually under the hood on the firewall, but that would likely be too easy of a solution. Help!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Your relay is in the engine compartment on the passenger side inner fender behind the blower motor near the hole where the antenna wire goes into the fender. Easy to replace.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

Thanks John, that makes it so much easier than I expected. Those illustrations in the manuals sure did not help! Probably get the new part early next week...
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

I guess I had good instincts on that. Just went back to look, and earlier today I had pulled the connector off that relay, taken a steel brush and cleaned the 3 posts, put dielectric grease on the posts and put it back together and then hit the trunk switch again, but no action, so wasn't sure it was the right relay. So hopefully the new one will solve it and I hope there are no wiring issues in the circuit somewhere else.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:29 PM

You can jump the connector to verify that it's the relay. Put a wire from the black to the blue and the trunk should pop open.

John

Old 08-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Experienced

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbird7 View Post
Thanks John, that makes it so much easier than I expected. Those illustrations in the manuals sure did not help! Probably get the new part early next week...
The '58 has the relay under the dash like the illustrations .
Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Apprentice

Here is the exact quote from the 1959 Thunderbird Shop Manual, Page 14-4
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LOCK RELAY
"The luggage compartment lock relay is located on the right side of the dash panel in the passenger compartment".
Makes you wonder what else in the manual is not correct???
Old 08-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Often pictures and descriptions are carried over from previous years. Service manuals usually have multiple revisions during the year to correct errors. I'll have to check and see what revision 1959 manuals I have and whether any have the correct relay location.

John

Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Both of the 1959 manuals I have show the incorrect relay location. However both manuals are dated 1958 so they are obviously early editions.

John

Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Apprentice

Got the replacement relay late yesterday afternoon. Replaced it this morning, and now my trunk is opening again. At first I just attached the wiring harness before bolting it back against the inner fenderwell, and tried the trunk button and nothing. Then figured that it needed to be bolted back against the fenderwell as a ground, and then it worked.