• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Air con compressor wire?

Hi there,

When cleaning up my '62's engine I noticed a black wire with a bullet connector hanging loose out from behind the pulley on the air cond compressor thingy.

I cannot find anywhere this connects to, certainly no loose wire with a matching female connector

It looks like a factory wire, it's black and is quite old and brittle

the air cond seems to work okay.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers

Alistair
    Attached Files
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

A/C Wire

The wire is attached to the magnetic clutch. This wire connects to a wire that comes from the firewall and should follow the other wires going alongside the driver's side valve cover for the oil pressure sender, temperature sender and ignition-to-coil lead. The magnetic clutch is energized when the A/C lever is pulled to the side.

BTW, the compressor on your car is a replacement, so at some point in the car's life its A/C system has been repaired, probably a worn compressor during the late '60s-early '70s.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Thanks Alan

I did remove the rocker covers for a repaint, and also replaced the coil at the same time, so i may have missed that wire. I will check tonight - thank you for the suggestion.

Regards
      Alistair

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
        The wire is attached to the magnetic clutch. This wire connects to a wire that comes from the firewall and should follow the other wires going alongside the driver's side valve cover for the oil pressure sender, temperature sender and ignition-to-coil lead.
        Hi Alan, you're right on the money. I'd removed the rocker cover for paint, pulled the wire out of the way, and I ended up with it on the wrong side the of the rocker cover when I reinstalled it.

Thanks for the help!

Alistair

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎