X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

FE Camshaft Retrofit to 1963 or later

Not a lot of discussion on this topic, but some members were disappointed to discover the high prices and unavailability of pre-1963 352 true roller chains and camshafts in general. (All FE engines use the same chain in any given year.)

Alexander posted regarding this situation:
    Originally posted by Alexander
    You have the thrust button if you have a pre-63 block. You can easily drill and tap the block to convert it to accept the thrust plate for the later cams. There are virtually no high performance cams left available for the pre-63 block.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Originally posted by simplyconnected
    ...FE engines are VERY common. They came in different varieties for different applications, but all of your components are pretty standard except the cam. Ford made a thrust plate change in '63. I strongly suggest you buy a '63 and up cam an drill your block for the new thrust plate. Timing sets are much cheaper for these cams AND you can get a 'true roller' chain set.

Most FE engines are very similar, so take a look at this 428 page:
    http://www.7litre.org/Rebuildrecommend.html
    I spoke with Mike (owner of D&S Engine Specialties), and he said he charges under $100 to drill and tap the required holes for the new thrust plates. Mike also said he can still get thrust plates for under $20/ea.

Some of the old FE blocks have small existing holes (that must be re-drilled and tapped), and some don't.

Availability for the newer cams and roller chain sets can be found at all major camshaft companies as well as eBay.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎