X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Engine surging

I just came back from a local car show and as I was cruising along about 55-60 mph it felt like the engine was surging. I have had the carb rebuilt and torn apart 3 times. As you drive along you can feel a slight surge, not a miss in the engine. As well it still has a hesitation when accelerating from a stop. The accelerator pump appears to be giving a good shot of fuel. As soon as you get over the hesitation the car runs up to 100 mph like a scared rabbit.

Another issue is the shift points. It shifts from low at about 30-35 mph and from second to drive at about 60-65 mph. This is under full throttle. I thought the shift points would be higher, maybe 45 mph from low to second and around 70-75 mph for second to drive.

I am thinking of changing to an after market carb, maybe the Edelbrock Street Avenger.

Any suggestions?
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Ttoo much timing/advacne might cause the surging. This happened on my own car.

Shift points on an automatic trans...... vacuum modulator. Pull off the vacuum line and if there is trans. fluid in the line, the modulator is junk.

Shift points can be adjusted a little bit by turning the tiny screw inside the modulator; accessed thru the hole where the vacuum line attaches. counterclockwise will make it shift earlier.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Squarebirds don't have a vacuum modulator. They began in '61.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

As far as engine timing goes get hold of a good quality vacuum guage and use the following web site, it will also give you an insite into other issues you may have

Richard

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

Also check your vacuum advance unit to make sure it is working correctly, it would cause timing to be erratic. Also, distributor itself may be causing erratic timing issues.
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Check timing chain slop:

Start at 6° BTDC. With a socket and long breaker bar, slowly crank your damper pulley back and forth while feeling the distributor rotor. Look at your timing marks and see how many degrees the crank turns before the distributor starts to move. 'Timing set slop' is where stop light hesitation and surging comes from.

If your engine is 'up in years' (like me), consider replacing your timing set.

I always urge folks to 'degree your cam/crank'. It doesn't take long, it requires no additional parts, and the degree wheel may be downloaded from the net. After finding 'true zero', advance your cam 4° to bring the torque curve closer to street efficiency (instead of Interstate Highway efficiency). - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Steffan
              Apprentice
              • Jan 29 2007

The engine has been completely rebuilt.
              The timing has been set using a vacuum gauge to get maximum vacuum and then backing off a bit to allow for the advance. While under acceleration there is no hesitation or surge. The accelerator pump is giving a good shot of fuel.
              There is a carb rebuilder about an hour away but I would hate to pay another 250.00 just to have the same problem. Also I have been looking into Pony Carbs on the Internet, anyone know if they are any good with their rebuilds?

Comment

• Howard Prout
                Experienced
                • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Steffan
                The engine has been completely rebuilt.
                The timing has been set using a vacuum gauge to get maximum vacuum and then backing off a bit to allow for the advance. While under acceleration there is no hesitation or surge. The accelerator pump is giving a good shot of fuel.
                There is a carb rebuilder about an hour away but I would hate to pay another 250.00 just to have the same problem. Also I have been looking into Pony Carbs on the Internet, anyone know if they are any good with their rebuilds?
                Have you checked out your fuel pump? Any chance it was caused by a vapour lock?
                sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Have you checked your fuel filter and/or has the fuel tank "sock" been checked?

sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Steffan
                    ...As soon as you get over the hesitation the car runs up to 100 mph like a scared rabbit...
                    This doesn't sound like fuel starvation.
                    What did you get when you rotated the crank?
                    If your engine is 'freshly overhauled', it shouldn't have ANY hesitation from a light.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've had a similar problem in the past and it turned out to be the no. 7 & 8 spark plug wires being right next to one another. They should be as far apart as possible.
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Check for vacuum leaks.
                        The vac/adv in the dist is a likely culprit.

When my 65 did that it was my pre-warning that the
                        brake booster was about to go.

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Too much timing advance is my guess.

Back it off a few degrees and take the car out and see if you notice any change.
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• FINSRIN
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 7 2010

Good advice in those postings. If carb has a lot of miles and was rebuilt. Depending on thoroughness of rebuilder, could be slop in primary throttle bar running through/across carb. Will change mixture ratio driving on primaries as raw air enters via throttle bar hole as bar moves within hole. When secondary opens the surging is reduced because of lower vacuum sucking raw air in plus any leakage is lower percentage of total air entering motor. Secondary had less use and seal was good. I was bitten by that one years ago.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎