This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Ha, haaa, LOL, I get the point Dave. ;0)
I guess I need to make up my mind whether I want a one wheel wonder (open rearend) tire spinning junker, or a true posi, traction grabbing fast car. If I want the latter I better figure out how to shed at least 800 pounds.

I don't think I'll be throwing down $4000 for a supercharger on this rust bucket though. So I think I'm going to go for just acting fast instead of being fast. If you look at my pictures of the engine when it was opened up you can see that I really need to have the block, pistons, and cam rebuilt. There's a very reputable shop in Albuquerque (Andersons Automotive Machine) who can do it for around $800. They'll do the heads for a couple of hundred too. Then I can get an Edelbrock RPM performer intake for $300, and a carb, and put the top end together myself. That should put me just shy of 400hp, plus I'll have that famous FE torque. Upgrade the the pressure plate and clutch and (hopefully) be able to spin ONE of those cheap old school cheater slicks.

Anyway, back to the trans. I just checked my e-mail and I did get your e-mail Gary, thanks a ton! I'll go over it tonight at home and hopefully learn some stuff.

If you look at picture 56 on my link to my car you can kind of see that the ball fitting that sits on the clutch fork is pointing very downward. I'm gonna have a local shop fix the down arm of the Z-bar to be a little longer and that should help it go straight into the clutch fork. I'll also try the 75-90 gear oil. If everything else looks like it is adjusted correctly then I'll be pulling the trans and either learning how to rebuild a toploader or use a guy here in town that rebuilds transmissions in his garage.

thx everyone, stay tuned......
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
...use a guy here in town that rebuilds transmissions in his garage...
That's the way to do it.

Most trans places charge a lot because they have to remove your trans and rebuild it on a bench, then the car either occupies a bay until the trans is done OR they push the car out of the way to free up the hoist.

When you walk in with a trans, 'rebuild' turns out to be strictly bench work that doesn't cost much more than the parts kit and a couple hours of the guy's labor. If you have a guy who does this in his garage, he has tools to remove the bearings for you.

There's no such thing as, having too many restorer buddies. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Just sayin':
My F100 has '70 429 with Edelbrock Torker (old original one!) 780 Holley, headers into 3" system.
Cam is Isky 272 and I have roller-rockers, guide-plates
Also has Pertronix in the dissy and Mallory coil.
Trans is C-6 with shift-kit, rear end is 'open' 4-spider unit, 2.75:1.
Rear tyres are 303 x 15" series 50 T/As on 10" rims
Truck weight in at about 4,000lb+

In a straight line it can smoke the left rear tyre all the way through 1st gear and half-way through 2nd.

1/4 mile suffers (a) due to weight,(b) rear gearing (c) non-locking rear end.

Does 13.89 at around 103mph at best, 'flying' 1/4 it has done 131mph.

But is fun to cruise in and I do a lot of road trips in it.

Sure, I COULD make it faster/quicker - but I don't want to upset the recipe...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Super-Experienced

That's a torqueing motor Tom! Sounds like a great truck and a lot of fun. I have the petronix dissy, now I just need everything else.
I know zero about automatic transmissions. My 4 speed is a close ratio so that doesn't help my 1st gear power, but the 3.89 rearend should more than compensate for it.

thx, Dave
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Super-Experienced

Over the weekend I changed to 75-90 gear oil and adjusted the clutch fork push rod a couple of times - but it didn't help any.

Here's one more clue that should shed some light. If I am cruising along in 4th gear, skip downshifting to third and go to down shift to second but never engage it all the way - then I can downshift to third no problem. I just put a touch of pressure on second and never get even close to going into second. No grind, no crunch at all. What is happening? I don't understand very well how the trans works so I don't know what this is telling me. It must have something to do with the syncros stopping the third gear from spinning so it can down shift as it should?

Any knowledge on this symptom is appreciated.

thx, Dave J
Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Revisit this video for a better understanding of how the Slots/Inserts and Synchro Rings work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Youtube has an excellent video on how the brass synchro blocking rings work. CLICK HERE

The wear which causes your shifter to grind or prevent gear changes happens inside the cone and around the three clutch hub inserts. These inserts can eventually elongate the slots which prevents the synchro rings from aligning. The inside cone also wears which prevents braking and causes that horrible grinding...
Quote:
Great info guys, thanks a ton!

The syncros video was great. I had no idea how they worked. I thought because the little teeth on the brass blocking gears looked good (on the outside) then they were fine. Little did I know that the problem would be on the inside cone of that gear! I actually thought the brass one was the syncro - learning all the time!..
Quote:
Over the weekend I changed to 75-90 gear oil and adjusted the clutch fork push rod a couple of times - but it didn't help any.

Here's one more clue that should shed some light. If I am cruising along in 4th gear, skip downshifting to third and go to down shift to second but never engage it all the way - then I can downshift to third no problem. I just put a touch of pressure on second and never get even close to going into second. No grind, no crunch at all. What is happening?...
The video shows how each cone 'grabs' and matches speeds for the next shift. They also need to LET GO, or your other gears won't match speeds. This is the importance of the Inserts, Slots, and how your shifter leaves the Shift Forks as you gate the shift handle. The setup needs to be right, both IN gear and OUT of gear. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Just thought I would update this post. Out of nowhere it started working again when I drove the car to work on Monday. It's been fine ever since. Anyway, most likely needs work but it can wait until I do a clutch or engine pull down the road someday.

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:

Just thought I would update this post. Out of nowhere it started working again when I drove the car to work on Monday. It's been fine ever since. Anyway, most likely needs work but it can wait until I do a clutch or engine pull down the road someday.

Dave
Maybe it finally wore down the high spots...

Seriously, I think the clutch setup has a lot to do with it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Super-Experienced

Who knows - at least until I tear it apart someday.

My clutch (or car) does chatter when I let out the clutch at lower rpm - maybe it's warped? I don't know which is more common, a warped clutch, pressure plate, or flywheel - I'd guess the pressure plate.
If it's warm, or I have the choke on it seems to not chatter. Maybe it's just the motor. It runs great when it's warmed up, but I think the rings are in a bad way - I think I'll do a compression check soon just so I know.

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
KULTULZ

The trouble with your setup is the full surround blow proof housing. It makes it difficult to inspect the clutch asm.

Usually, it is a worn/bent/contaminated disc that will cause clutch chatter. That and heat glaze/hot spots on the flywheel and/or pressure plate face.