This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The GP-Sorensen kit that Autozone sells comes with the secondary diaphragm and the nylon shaft. Part # 96-134D. It's $24.99. It doesn't come with the completely closed gasket though.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I found the receipt for my hollow ground screwdriver set. Sold through Amazon, search "Grace USA Original Gun Care Screwdriver Set", for $38.50 plus shipping. Well worth the investment to protect the hundreds of slotted screws not just on the carb but all over the interiors of these cars. Not to mention your guns.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

I've done everything from pounding nails, to running a 6 foot (chuck diameter) lath, to painting cars, to assembly line work at GE, and now being a computer systems administrator, yet I never learned what a "hollow ground screwdriver" was. I've used them and knew how they worked, but I didn't know they had a name,,,,son of a gun.

Anyway, I rebuilt a couple of carbs when I was a kid, maybe now it's time I actually learned what is doing what. I had a carb kit from my other motor, the "GP Sorenson" $17.99 at Autozone. It had the diaphragm but I didn't use it because the old one was fine. So last night I used it to replace mine but it didn't help. It was an SOB getting the little press fit pin out of the old one because the one in the kit just had the hole.

I find it weird that the secondary throttle closing lever goes back to rest on the set screw when I shut it off and the vacuum drops, but while it's running it still sits about a 16th of an inch off the set screw (after they have kicked in) while running.

These Mike's videos; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SntO1M_7M-8
are really good. This one is my carb however mine doesn't have a "dashpot" whatever that does. I'll mess with it this weekend again. Tomorrow I'm headed all over the place to get stuff. Found a 9 inch third member in Albuquerque with 3.89 gears. The guy want $250 plus my 3.10 unit for it, and it's not even rebuilt. Seems pretty high to me but i can't find anything else in the state.
Also need a couple of rear brake cylinders, glass packs for the FPA headers that will be arriving tomorrow. YES! Gotta pick up my air compressor, a garbage disposal for a rental house, paint, etc. Now if i just had more time to build all this stuff!

thx for all the good advice, Dave J
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

All the dashpot does is keep the throttle from closing quickly. This prevents stalling in certain cases.

I just replaced mine and the new one has a much longer "point" (for lack of an actual name) on it so I called the vendor. He said that's the only one they carry so most guys cut it down.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post

I find it weird that the secondary throttle closing lever goes back to rest on the set screw when I shut it off and the vacuum drops, but while it's running it still sits about a 16th of an inch off the set screw (after they have kicked in) while running.

...mine doesn't have a "dashpot" whatever that does. I'll mess with it this weekend again.
There is a lever on the right side of the primary throttle shaft that will (or should) contact and completely close the secondary shaft throttle plates (to adjustment) once the accelerator is fully released. Your problem lies there somewhere. The secondary throttle plates are hanging open slightly causing a un-metered vacuum leak, hence an enhanced idle speed.

The dash-pot is used on AT cars only. It prevents engine stall from the AT convertor drag from stalling the engine either while slowing abruptly or coming to a stop.

http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t...100-index.html
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Super-Experienced

Thanks Gary! I saw that when I was trying to adjust the fast idle cam. My manual calls it the fast idle lever. Mine is a screw with the head filed down so the fast idle adjusting screw will clear it. I'm pretty sure it not the correct pin being that someone put a filed down screw in there. I had thought that if it were fatter it would seat the secondarys like it should. Here's the picture from the manual with an arrow pointing to where mine has the screw.
Any idea on where to order a new one? Or any carb parts and pieces for that matter?

thx a ton, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (62.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM
KULTULZ

In addition to the URL in my above post- http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/kits/CK014BHW.htm

The fast idle lever also prevents the secondaries from opening with the choke not fully opened.

Do you have a Shop Manual showing the 4100? If not, they also offer the Shop Manual pages as a reference.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The original pin was plastic which is why they don't last very long. I usually just use a cut down nail. As long as it just fits through the hole it should be the right width. The idle screw will keep it in place. It's not a real high tech system. You didn't mention if you changed the gasket.

John
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post

For your info Ford has different carburetor jets listed for 5000-10000 ft. I'm not sure whether they are installed at the factory or by the dealers.

John
Correct. When you go to the MPC Parts List for your particular carburetor (identified by Carb Asm Tag I.D. No.) the jets (Basic Service PN 9533) will be shown by your altitude if it pertains to your particular situation.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Super-Experienced

Yes, my manual does show it, it calls it a "Ford 4 barrel". The screw that is in there is a tad small for the hole and rattles around so I'll find a nail or proper sized pin of some sort.

The fast idle lever is preventing the secondaries from kicking in. In other words it is working correctly.

I did not change the gasket, but the mechanism moves very freely and is very clean. It doesn't bind anywhere at all. The only time it sits high is when the motor is hot and running, and after the secondaries have kicked in due to me flooring it.

My carb tag says it's a Fomoco "C5AF F" below that it has
"C 5DB". Do you know if that number tells me anything about the altitude?

I'm off to Santa Fe now to run some errands. If I get back in time I'll try fixing and ordering some of the items you guys suggested.

thanks a ton!