Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1959/60 Jcode

Hi Guys
    I have a question on my black J code

Physically it's a 60, but the VIN J9YH146272 is a 59 and a genuine J code car. It was a 25 May 59 build as I have part of the ROT.
    The obvious tells me that sometime in it's past someone converted it to look like a 60.
    Was there ever any pre production factory cars for use at motor shows?

Any input would be great

Richard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; August 4, 2011, 10:54 PM.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1959/60 Jcode

Hi Richard,

About the only two people that I can think of that can answer that question is "Fuz" Johnson and Alan Tast. Maybe one of them will check in and give you an answer on that.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

We ran into this less than a year ago with an eBay listing. The seller had the same situation and he proved his car was really a '60 with a '59 VIN. His was also a J code.

At first I didn't believe Ford could make such a big mistake but very apparently they did.

Check the different vin locations to help verify your numbers. I recommend this site:

Another 'proof'; see if your tail light sheetmetal panel has been hacked to accept different year housings.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Dave

I know mine has the same VIN on the frame on the passenger side (can just see it past the 430) and the tailight housings are as per original.
        Not like you can just bolt a 60 body on a 59 frame

Richard

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

A couple of unusual things pop out at me. The rear hash marks don't look like the early type that were screwed on and farther toward the back. Also the chrome roof trim looks like it has grooves, not smooth like an early production '60. Of course this could have been replaced. If all serial numbers point to a '59 someone did one heck of a job making it look like a '60.
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

59/60 j-code

I know on my 59 J code has it on the cross member under the oil pan the vin numbers stamped on it on top of it right in the middle ,might be hard to see.Maybe a mirror or carbon paper you could rub it to see if it would come out on paper.Is the inside all 60 style ,seats ,door panels?Tom
            Last edited by tp tbird; August 5, 2011, 10:15 AM. Reason: add more

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

My 1960 J-Code also has the VIN# stamped on the inside right fender apron, along the lip down towards the motor mount area.

sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

what color is the vin tag I think 59 was gold and 60 was black it should start 9J or 0J this is a good one

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

After looking at the pictures again I'm almost 100% convinced that your car came from the factory as a mid-late 1960, not an early pre-production car. The level of detail it would take to convert a '59 to a '60 and make it look factory like yours would be monumental. Just to fill all the holes from the original emblems and getting the new emblems in just the right spot would be very difficult. I would be very curious to check where the front emblem and fender emblems are underneath to see if any holes were filled in. If it indeed came from the factory like that then why the J9 serial number. Does the data plate look like it has the original rivets. I assume the ROT was found under the seats which is another oddity. Is there enough of it left to verify the color and interior code. It's certainly a mystery.

Comment

It all seems to be a 60 when looking at things
                    I have just redone the interior it did have all 60 door panels but had 59 seat trim. I redid it with all 60.
                    The roof trim I replaced but had a groove one to start with.

My 60 golde has the smooth trim and is an early 60 it also has the VIN on the inner fender on the passenger side where as the 59/60 has it on the frame rail near the upper suspension arm.

I have attached he data plate which looks original all these pics are from when I bought the car

Richard
                    Attached Files

Comment

My 60 was built in dec. 59 and is around 14000 somthin built. hash marks are studs and has flat roof trim.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't see the thunderbird emblem on the back seat package tray. Maybe it's just the picture but that should be there for a '60 and missing for a '59. That's interesting. The data plate looks ok but that's the easiest thing to change. The serial number on the inner fender is another story. It's possible that someone took a 430 '59 and put the seats and data plate on a '60 but modifying the serial number on the inner fender would be more difficult although not impossible. I've also found a serial number on the spacer plate under the rugs between the passenger side seat and inner rocker panel. If someone tried to change the serial number that's usually a place they would miss. There's also a serial number under the cowl which would be easy to miss. If all these number match the data plate then I'm stumped.

Comment

• Dream Weaver
                          • Oct 10 2010

Question?

Shouldn't there be a number 0 in front of the J if it is a 60? On mine there is and all my research indicated that this is one of the indicators of the cars model year.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's what he's trying to figure out. He has a '60 with a '59 data plate and serial number.

Comment

It does have the emblem on the package tray
                              And the Vin is in pos C on the drawing

It did have a 59 trunk mat but I changed it to a 60
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎