No announcement yet.

My Girls

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Girls

Introducing Old Blue. She is a 1978 Diamond Jubilee Edition Thunderbird. 76,000 miles. All original except for the tires, dual exhaust and chrome mud flaps. 351M (400 block 351 heads) 2 barrel, power brakes, power steering, power windows, power locks, power drivers seat, power antenna, tilt wheel, cruise, AM/FM 8 track, tack, oil, temp and amp gauges, Diamond Blue Metallic paint, colored keyed grill, wheels, body side moldings and vinyl top, cloth bisque style seats, carpeted trunk and spare tire cover, illuminated entry system.
    She has been in several car shows and she does well in some and not so good in others.
    Attached Files
  • fomoco59
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 10 2005

That's a beauty !! I used to have a twin to that car... it was our first TBird, around 1988 I think.
    My wife drove it, at times with three car seats in the back seat ! A great car... got me hooked !

Kind of a funny story.. I bought my DJ from a friend (a body man) for $2500 and his girlfriend went thru the roof when he sold it to me. I drove it for two years and sold it back to him for $2500. He drove it to his house and a large tree fell on it, crushing the roof... but he rebuilt it!... then sold it again !
    sigpic
    Mike Lemmon
    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I like the wheels.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
        I like the wheels.
        I have two of those on my 59 parts car, now I know what they are off of.

Comment

Great lookin car it must be nice to take a ride in on sunday,Any fish in the pond

Comment

Thanks Mike,
            Dad bought a Diamond Jubilee for me when I was fifteen years old. It had been totaled. He paid $1750.00 for her. He said there it is now you get to work and pay for the parts to get her fixed. I worked all summer, mowing yards and doing odd jobs. I finally got enought money to get her fixed. The body man came and got her on my birthday, and I cried as she was pulled behind the wrecker down the road. Several months later she was done. The love of my life. I had her a little over a year and meet a car on my side of the road. I took the ditch she rolled at least five times. I cried on and off for weeks. Some friends I worked with talk to a dealer in the next county and he had a DJ, drove it to Florida twice and to Church on Sunday. He called me up, priced it, and I bought her.
            My wife and I started dating in this car. This car means more to me and my wife than anything else we own. She would get rid of me before she would get rid of Old Blue!!!

Comment

Thanks Bob,
              YES! I had the pond dug when we bought the property. And I have stocked it several times, bass, crappie, catfish and bluegill.
              I caught several bass and cats out of there last year.
              I had a friend come by and I took him down to look at the pond. I told him watch this. I stuck my hand in the water and splashed the water. All kinds of fish came right up to me. He said well **** there pet fish, you can't eat them. I looked at him and said were not that close.

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

A friend in HS in the mid 80's had this car in maroon and with t-tops. I understand the Jubilee editions are fairly desirable these days. I occasionally wonder what his t-top 'Bird would be worth.

I always liked the Jubilee editions better with the filled rear quarter window.

Very nice.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• fomoco59
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 10 2005

As I recall, the Jubilees were only blue and a few white ones. The Heritage models had the T-Top.
                  sigpic
                  Mike Lemmon
                  '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

Thanks dgs!

HEY Mike,
                    Yes there were only suppost to be in blue, but as production went along, Ford had a better ideal (of course). They had white one's with blue trim, they had white one's with burnt orange trim, they had burnt orange one's, and also had beige, or almost pastel pink, with burnt orange trim. I seen that someone back a few month ago, when I said I had one, said that a friend had one with T-tops. Ford only offered moon roofs as a option. The one I wrecked and the one I own now has no moon roof (as it was called then) After some digging on the web, I found that Ford offered this in the later production in 1978, before they change to the next year. These Diamond Jubilee's with the T-tops were very few. So fort was the Heritage born. As far as I know the 1979 Heritage was only offered in maroon and baby blue and had T-tops as a option.
                    THUNDERBIRDS FOREVER!!!
                    Richard

Comment

Hey guys,
                      I found the correct paint colors for the 1978 Diamond Jubilee Edition Thunderbird, there were as follows: Diamond Blue Metallic, Ember Metallic, Pastel Beige and Polar White. Only 18,994 DJ's were produced, for a price around $10,600.
                      The 1970 Thunderbird Heritage came in Heritage Maroon and Heritage Baby Blue.

Comment

• fomoco59
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 10 2005

Thanks... fond memories from my pre-Squarebird days.
                        sigpic
                        Mike Lemmon
                        '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• dgs
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2003

Heritage Edition sounds right now that you mention it. The look was the same, though, padded vinyl top, filled quarter windows, turbine wheels, etc. just in maroon instead of blue.

It was a neat car, but at the time we both preferred my Dad's '77 Cutlass (the T'bird was my friend's Mom's car) which was a Supreme, mandarin orange with tan (light buckskin) accents and interior. If I could pic one to have back now, it'd be hard, but I think I might go with the T'bird.
                          DGS (aka salguod)
                          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                          www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎