X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juantejeda
    Experienced
    • May 7 2004

Windshield Wipers

Hello all, I have a 59 and it still has the original, vacuum, windshield wipers. As you probably know, they don't work all that well.
    My question is this; Is there a way of reworking/rebuilding them so that they work? Right now they work, but just barely. They only go up a few inches and then back down to the starting position. If I leave them on for a while and rev the engine they sometimes get better, but so far they do not work well enough to take a chance of getting caught in a rain storm.
    Anyway, can anyone help?
    TJ
    Thunderbird Registry #7960
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

get the electric conversion kit.

Or else do like me and avoid the rain. Apply AquaPel or RainX as needed....
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you want to keep your original vacuum wiper you have a couple choices. Some people have had luck sucking brake fluid into the motor. That swells the seals which improves the vacuum effect. If you do a search you can probably find the procedure for doing it. You could also send it away to the wiperman to rebuild it. I think it costs about $80. There's a replacement electric motor that they make but it costs over $200. I did my own electric conversion by using a rear window wiper motor from a late model Buick wagon. Cost me about $30 with the switch.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Windshield Wipers

John, I would like to add this conversion you did using the Buick windshield wiper rear motor. Could you put something together for us, including what year Buick wagon(s) to get that motor off of? Also, the installation procedures you went through to replace the OEM vacuum motor and replace it with the electric one. If this can save our fellow Tbird members some cash, I am sure they would like to know how you did this. Many of them probably would replace those vacuum motor for $30 instead of having to pay the $200 I and others have...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ray,

I'll put the procedure together that I used and send it to you.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Back in the day, electric wiper motors were an extra cost option. Ford knew the vacuum motors were crap, but they came cheap from Trico. OEM brakes are marginal at best, too.

I have two classic cars with aftermarket electric wiper motors. They are made by New Port Engineering, and they work very well in Michigan, where we get lots of rain (& snow).

The price stings only a little until the first time you use your wipers. The motor is hidden under your dash so it cannot be detected unless you stand on your head. There is another option that I bought with my new electric motor... interval, slow, fast, washer, park switch ($67) and a knob shaft extension ($20). This switch uses your original dash knob so it looks bone stock. Push it in, and a contact closes to operate (your supplied) washer pump motor. Let go, and the washer stops.

I bought mine through an authorized dealer, JPL in Aliquippa, PA, because they offer free shipping on orders over $100. I suggest you call the store and see if they can give you a better price break than ordering through their eBay listing. Call them toll free at 724-375-3940.

Hope this helps. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Windshield Wipers

Thanks, John. That will be a good service to our folks on here! If you have any pictures that you might have taken, they would be helpful also. You can email what you put together to me and I will add it to the Windshield Wiper part of the TRL for posterity.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Mickfly70
                Apprentice
                • Oct 20 2010

Do the brake fluid thing first TJ. I did it and its free. ( Only if you use the bled brake fluid!)

Sounds like your wipers were exactly like mine. You'll have them fixed in 48 hrs.
                Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
                60 Tbird

Comment

• klattu
                  • Aug 18 2011

Between now and your repair, use lots of RainX, it really helps... and is fun to watch the beads of rain race off around the curved glass.
                  1959 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• juantejeda
                    Experienced
                    • May 7 2004

Wipers

Again! You guys are a great resource. I will try the Brake Fluid first and then decide what to do if it doesn't work.
                    I use a Rain-X treatment whenever I take it out for a drive and it looks overcast, but usually my Bird just never sees the rain! That's why I don't want to go the electric route, it will be a waste.
                    Hope I can find the instructions for doing the brake fluid treatment.....
                    Thanks to everyone.
                    TJ

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2011

Here ya go. It is elsewhere also but this should work.

Jim
                      Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Windshield Wipers

Thanks for the link, Jim! I have just added that to the Windshield Wiper & Washer section of the Technical Resource Library. So now it will be easy to find if others want to try this in the future.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2011

My pleasure

That is from the guy (Gil Baumgartner) who put together the 55-7 Resto manual. You may want to check out some of his other stuff also in Gil's Garage. He is the "Authenticity Chairman" for CTCI. He's the kinda guy that can tell you what color every screw is in the 55-7 Birds and whether it was Chromate, painted to match something or how many washers it should have.

I think it is good that some folks like him and others in ITC and VTCI have gone to such detail. While I am not a real stickler on "Factory" original at least there are some of all the Thinderbirds that will be "original" for posterity.

I will also start a thread in the 55-7 forum for some other 55-7 specific resources.
                          Jim
                          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Windshield Wipers

Yes, I saw who he was and what he was involved in. We have many to thank for putting together information like this, including our own membership. Alexander Sosiak, our Founder, assisted Alan Tast, and "Fuz" Johnston and the others in putting together the Squarebird Official Factory Specifications for VTCI and the work goes on. Kudu's to them and the others, and we are proud to have them as members of Squarebirds.org.

I would suggest while you are visiting Gil Baumgartner's website that you take a good look around it and see the other things he has on it.

Comment

• juantejeda
                              Experienced
                              • May 7 2004

Wipers

Originally posted by Jimz Bird
                              Here ya go. It is elsewhere also but this should work.

http://ctci.org/gilsgarage/WiperFunc.php
                              Thanks Jimz Bird, you can rest assured that I will be following this procedure in the very near future!

Thanks again, to all that posted your input.

Juan
                              TJ

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎