X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

Vent Window Frame Replacement

So I got my new "sail" panels in (I think that's what they are called). Lot of work for those little guys, but it was one of the last parts not replaced or re-chromed.

So the largest offender left is the vent/wing window frames. Pitted to heck. I have one's that are not perfect at all, but much nicer.

If it is huge amount of work, I may just have these re-chromed, before the swap. So aside from reading the manual (haven't yet), how bad is it for a seasoned wrench? (especially non-original door panels, come off easy without damage??)
    59-430-HT
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

I did it a few months ago. My chrome plater refused 2 sets of vent window frames because he felt the amount of grinding necessary to eliminate pits would eliminate to much detail. Also he found cracks which he felt were non repairable. He maybe just didn't want the job but I was convinced to go find a pair already rechromed. So start there first.

The assembly is not hard but there are lots of tiny screws to keep track of. I did a photo journal of each step as I removed pieces. I got new glass but let the glass guy install them into the frames. I also replaced the window locks. That's not to hard but getting the roll pin into the new handle required two people. You will also need some patience in installing the new "cat whiskers". I used a pop rivet gun with an extended nose. When you reinsert the glass frame into the window frame be careful of your orientation as its a little tricky. Finally putting the finished assembly is straight forward but adjusting was a pain.

I don't know if any of this helps but feel free to call on me if you get stuck.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Chris thanks for this detail and picture for any future replacements.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Yes, thanks for the info.

This is what I'm working with.
        On car.......

Spare

Lot more pitting (especially large visible from a distance pits) on the one on car, but spare is not perfect.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• p38fighter
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 14 2016

Its hard to tell in a picture but those don't look terrible. Here's the best one I had and the plater rejected it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I had both of mine replated and they came out great. They were in pretty bad shape when I took them in. It took a while to find a plater that was good and still willing to do pot metal. Chip Foose uses this plater. Not cheap but good. I also remember having to buy some special rivets for the top connections. I have a lot of spares if you need any, let me know. Not pop rivets.
            Nyles
            Attached Files

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Tbird1044
              I had both of mine replated and they came out great. They were in pretty bad shape when I took them in. It took a while to find a plater that was good and still willing to do pot metal. Chip Foose uses this plater. Not cheap but good. I also remember having to buy some special rivets for the top connections. I have a lot of spares if you need any, let me know. Not pop rivets.
              Nyles
              Those look really nice...........

About what did it cost if you don't mind me asking. I suspect it might be almost as much as it would cost for me to add AC, since I will be using my own compressor, engine brackets, inside vents, etc...
              59-430-HT

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

The vent frames were $175 ea. to repair and rechrome. Any chrome work in L.A. has gone out of site price wise and it's hard to even find a shop that will do pot metal parts. I used a different shop for the bumpers and found a much better price.
                Nyles

Comment

• OX1
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 10 2016

Not as bad as I thought, but will probably use these as is and put that money towards something else the car needs.
                  59-430-HT

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

I came across this on YouTube and even though it covers a 65-66 Mustang, I thought there are a lot of similarities between that and our Squarebirds. There are some good suggestions for installing the rivets and also how to set the glass into the frame. Also covers how to remove scratches from the stainless frames. Just thought I would pass it along.
                    Here is the site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pzo3VbCf6E
                    Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Good job Nyles. The thing I needed to know is that weather strip stop at the top of the frame that meets the side glass.
                      That's the one item with a barrel rivet?
                      Mine need replacing or fudging some how. I noted their rivet came out flat as opposed to a dome shape like I have now. The conclusion was to take it to an expert for a "concours" finish. There should be an adhesive repair.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎