X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

60 convertible Tri-Power NASCAR engine?

I saw this on Ebay and had to ask the experts. Is the story possible or a load of bull. Did NASCAR ever allow more than a four barrel carburetor on a 60 Thunderbird. Also I thought that Ford stopped using the Thunderbird after 1959 in lieu of the Starliner.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I thought Holman-Moody had some '60's that they raced.

I'll have to troll around on the internet and see what pops up.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

I found this site that has "tri-power heads" on the top item listed. Is that something that would be unique to a tri power intake? http://reocities.com/tpls63/parts/pa...l#58-60Hardtop
      Just curious. It looks like it could be a useful site for parts, etc.
      - Dave J

Comment

• davidmij
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 17 2011

Whoops! sorry, the tri-power heads are further down towards the bottom of that link, and I think it was for a 62-63 year.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi David, Thanks for posting that. I see that is a different link of Tom Maruska's Tbird Square website. www.tbirdsquare.com He has a fair amount of parts for sale. Check out his website and the cars he has and has worked on over the years.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• davidmij
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 17 2011

Ah, yes, thanks Ray.
            I stumbled across it looking for comparison prices in case I was to sell my air cleaner and expansion tank on line. I kind of figured someone on here would have seen it before.

-Dave

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

Bravo Sierra (a kind way of saying bulls**t).

Originally posted by jopizz
              I saw this on Ebay and had to ask the experts. Is the story possible or a load of bull. Did NASCAR ever allow more than a four barrel carburetor on a 60 Thunderbird. Also I thought that Ford stopped using the Thunderbird after 1959 in lieu of the Starliner.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Ford-Th...sories&vxp=mtr
              Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
              Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
              Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I contacted George Bahto at Ray's suggestion and he believes he has pictures of the car this supposedly came from. He thought that it had a 430 with a tri-power but said he would get back to me.
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• ggb313
                  • Mar 8 2010

NASCAR engine ????

George Bahto here:

All my material, and I think I have everything out thee, tells me that they were using the Mercury Super Matauder tri powers units on the 430 engines, the tripower units orginally designed and built by Bill Stroppe who later went to work for Holman and Moody.

I have a complete tri power unit on my 1960 convertible.

I also have one of the Lincoln version of the air cleaner for sale and I have a very rare oval aircleaner for a triPower on a Squarebird (I've only ever seen this one), as well as a set of tri power carbs - they'll be going up on e bay soon - trying to clear out my good stuff.

can be contacted at ggb313@aol.com

why not question this guy to verify his information?

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

For those of you who have never had the privilege of seeing George's beautiful '60 Tri-Powered 430MEL Red Convertible, here it is in all it's glory! The 2011 Squarebird Calendar Tbird of the Month of July!
                    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ggb313
                      • Mar 8 2010

1960 430 w/ tri power

here is the engine compartment with the carbs covered by the massive Mercury Super Marauder air cleaner

Comment

• ggb313
                        • Mar 8 2010

Is this a Thunderbird version air cleaner

I purchased this many moons ago and it was labeled (430).

I have only seen one like this and believe it is a Thunderbird version air cleaner for the 430 engine w' the '58 tri power installed.

My reasoning:

When installing the tri power unit into my 1960 Thunderbird, we could not get the clearance between the top of the air cleaners, whether it was the Mercury or Lincoln versions, and the underside of the Thunderbird hood.

We would have had to cut away that large, roundish flange under the hood - which we eventually did because I just loved the look of the huge wedge air cleaner.

The oval pictured below has a 3-stud mount - I think ALL others (for different cars and engines) had a two hole stud mount.

This fits under the hood without any metal modification and I have used it from time to time,

I think this is a Bill Stroppe or Holman and Moody piece for Thunderbird installation - can't verify it, but that's my take.

Hope someone knows more or we can find more info on this piece

It is now up for auction on EBay this week.

here is a picture of the "one of a kind" (sort of) oval

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by jopizz

The engine shown is an FE. TRI-POWER was not released by FORD until 1961. What is seen may be an early EDELBROCK intake and they only accepted the small mounting pattern FORD or ROCHESTER 2V.

FORD did return to NASCAR in 1960 but with the SUNLINER (much lighter) and the 352FE-360HP. I believe HM ran BIRDS in 1960 but they would have been the 430.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by ggb313
                            I purchased this many moons ago and it was labeled (430).

I have only seen one like this and believe it is a Thunderbird version air cleaner for the 430 engine w' the '58 tri power installed.

My reasoning:

When installing the tri power unit into my 1960 Thunderbird, we could not get the clearance between the top of the air cleaners, whether it was the Mercury or Lincoln versions, and the underside of the Thunderbird hood.

We would have had to cut away that large, roundish flange under the hood - which we eventually did because I just loved the look of the huge wedge air cleaner.

The oval pictured below has a 3-stud mount - I think ALL others (for different cars and engines) had a two hole stud mount.

This fits under the hood without any metal modification and I have used it from time to time,

I think this is a Bill Stroppe or Holman and Moody piece for Thunderbird installation - can't verify it, but that's my take.

Hope someone knows more or we can find more info on this piece

It is now up for auction on EBay this week.

here is a picture of the "one of a kind" (sort of) oval

I think your reasoning is plausible. There is mention of kits made available (HM I would think) for BIRD owners but I have come across no definite info. When Bill Stroppe went to HM would be the date key.

Does the top plate fit the SM bottom plate correctly or do you think there was a special bottom plate also?

You are very knowledgeable concerning the SUPER MARAUDER 3 X 2 400HP option.

Comment

• KULTULZ

...sheesh...

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Does the top plate fit the SM bottom plate correctly or do you think there was a special bottom plate also?

I see there was a special bottom plate as shown on your ad.

I'll be OK....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎