Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I guess it's possible that fluid is leaking through the yolk and coming out where it meets the universal joint flange but I'd love to know what he used to fix it that will last. I would look around for a new yolk just in case.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

seal and yoke

I have a tendency to believe you. Can you show me or shoot me a picture of the yoke. I would say its a bad seal not the yoke or is he saying the seal is the yoke. Iam confused. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's what it looks like. The long end of course goes into the transmission and the seal and bushing keep fluid from coming out around the shaft. It is hollow and goes around the output shaft of the transmission. Where he fixed it is anybody's guess. I'm confused also.

John
        Attached Files

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

thanks alot for the picture

So in your estimation John it would be the seal and maybe the bushing around it other the the yoke itself. I wont bother you no more over this matter. Because the mechanic didn't say anything about the seal what he said I need a new yoke. Larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

How much side-to-side or up-down slop is there when the yoke is installed? I have changed seals before but the whole thing rides on a very thin bronze bushing pressed into the tail shaft housing.

I'm not saying yours is worn but if a new seal quickly leaks, you may have a bushing to replace.

I've NEVER seen a yoke go bad to the point where a new seal and a little cleanup didn't fix the leak.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2009

yoke

The expert suggested a new yoke. John sent me a picture of the yoke.There our two holes in the back and a hollow tube in which the bushing and the seal inserts is that correct. Which end connects to the drive shaft Do you have a picture with the driveshaft which is connected to the extension housing that you can send me.The picture on 5-21 in mt 62 thunderbird manual doent show how the extension is connected to the driveshaft Dave. Is the bushing and the seal does it connect to the drive shaft Espreciate it. Larry. Ps He indicated he removed the driveshaft and clean it but I don't no if he pulled the seal out or bushing that was never mentioned to me. He indicated that he would clean it and put something on it.Plus he said if this holds fine if not you would need a new yoke. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The bushing and seal are in the transmission extension housing, not the yolk.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                  The bushing and seal are in the transmission extension housing, not the yolk...
                  Yep, John is telling it straight.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                  ...I have changed seals before but the whole thing rides on a very thin bronze bushing pressed into the tail shaft housing...
                  There are NO holes that go through to the inside of the yolk. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2009

what is the yolk connected to.

This metal piece that john showed me he referred to it as the yolk. What is this connected to is it the drive shaft then. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As you can see by the diagram the yolk connects to the drive shaft with a universal joint.

John
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Larry Jones
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2009

the big picture

That's great. Now I got the big picture on how items our attached. Thank you. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2009

difination of parts

hi again John. In the last picture you sent me there a seal labeled 7058 does this seal go into the extension housing orwhat is part 7650 go to. plus in thread 12 You said the driveshaft doesn't leak Its the seal or bushing around the yolk that leaks. Would those items referring to the extension housing because Iam going back to page 5-21 showing the rear seal and bushing. So this seal labeled 7058 is this called the rear seal and where is bushing located John. Pluswhy would you suggest to look around for a new Yolk where this is made out of metal and be more concerned about a seal and maybe the bushing. Plus the mechanic suggested a new yolk also but didn't mention anything about a seal or bushing to me. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

The part number for the rear seal is actually 7052 not 7058. It goes into the extension housing which is part number 7650. The bushing is also in the extension housing although it's not shown. I have no idea why the mechanic suggested you replace the yolk. Ask him to explain exactly where it was leaking and what he did to fix it.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 3 2009

Puddle from last night

Went to church today didn't really bother to look under the car but when we came home my wife noticed maybe about 10 drops for red fluid. Oh boy I said. In my hast I cleaned up the newspaper without recalling where I had it positioned. Iam going out now and putting paper on the drivers side where he fixed and center another piece under the extention housing also. Then Ill go from there. Iam hoping it not where the seals he repaired already. Can the rear seal and the bushing be gotton at a Nappa store. Is that bushing called a specific name so I can reference it. Larry Plus is the yoke easy to take off and whats involved in that John. When I pulled out to get gas I noticed there was a long line in session dropping. So I would say its the rear seal John
                              Last edited by Larry Jones; July 21, 2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the seal and bushing are available from NAPA.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎