X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrysmith
    Experienced
    • Aug 28 2008

59 gas & temp gauge problem

My gas and temp gauge went squirrely, they started off moving backwards and now do not work at all, is there a way to check if just the guages are bad?

I ordered the voltage regulator for them just in case that was the issue, but I do not want to put in new gauges if the regulator is the problem and then blow those guages.

Where is that darn regulator located?

I have looked under the dash until I am cross eyed and still do not see it.

Thanks,

Barry

Hey Barry,
    The Constant Voltage Regulator is behind the instrument cluster mounted to the back of the cluster between the speedometer and the fuel/temp gauges!
    I hope you ordered a electronic replacement. They give better service! And allot of the new replacement one are made in China!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• barrysmith
      Experienced
      • Aug 28 2008

Hey Richard, I probabley got one of those china deals.

Ordered it from fleabay, is there a way to tell from looking at it?

I'll order another one if it is, aint no China S@$#! going in my bird!

Thanks for the location of it.

Barry

Comment

Hey Barry,
        I will have to do some searching and see if they have China on them. Mine went bad in Christine and Ray was the one that suggested I get a electronic one. If you need that information I will have to also dig it up, or maybe Ray can tell you!
        Keep us posted!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's a little easier to replace if you remove the fuel/temp gauge. It's between that and the speedometer and held in by two bolts.
          Last edited by jopizz; October 10, 2010, 08:50 AM.
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The information on the electronic CVR is on the Technical Resource Library web page. Go up to the Technical Resource Library Forum, click on the new link I put up there and scroll down. You will find the contact information there. I do not think there is any way of telling if you got a Chinese version or not. You would have to ask the guy who is selling it where he gets his CVR units from. My CVR unit was NOT on the back of the instrument panel as Alexander showed us in his Technical Tip. Mine was mounted to a post behind the instrument panel. Yours could be there also. It all depends on who has had their fingers on that instrument panel or CVR unit and has replaced it in the past.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• barrysmith
              Experienced
              • Aug 28 2008

Thanks everyone, will try to locate it again tommarow.

Any way to check the gauges ?

Barry

Comment

These also need to mounted to good ground (something metal) to work properly!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• barrysmith
                  Experienced
                  • Aug 28 2008

THANKS

Repalced the pod, but still no working guages

Guess I will wait for some gauges to come up on fleabay.

Comment

Hey Barry,
                    It may have fried them, before it went out!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Before you go replacing your gauges, make sure your Constant Voltage Regulator (CVR) unit is working properly. As Richard said, make SURE you have a good ground connection first. Using a meter, check the input side to see if you have 12volts going into the CVR unit. If so, you know you have input voltage. Then check the output side going to the gauges to see if you have an output reading of something between 1 & 6 volts, with it probably fluctuating. If you do, then your CVR unit should be working correctly. IF you have 12 volts coming OUT of that CVR unit, then your CVR unit is fried... AND it might have also fried your gauges because they are 6Volt gauges... If you have 12volts coming out of the CVR unit, buy another one, from one of the Tbird parts places for about $20-$25 OR spend about twice that and buy the electronic one listed on the Technical Resource Library web page. After going through several CVR units, and spending about $75 doing so, I bought the electronic version and have had no problems since.
                      Last edited by YellowRose; October 11, 2010, 05:18 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• barrysmith
                        Experienced
                        • Aug 28 2008

Thanks, I had one of those cvr units here already and installed it and the gaues still do not work.

It is grounded fine, checked it with my idiot light, and it is getting 12 volts to it, Lit up the light as well.

I will put a meter on it though and check as sugested on output of the new cvr.

Thanks,

Barry

Comment

• Rigormortor
                          Experienced
                          • Mar 5 2010

Originally posted by barrysmith
                          Thanks, I had one of those cvr units here already and installed it and the gaues still do not work.

It is grounded fine, checked it with my idiot light, and it is getting 12 volts to it, Lit up the light as well.

I will put a meter on it though and check as sugested on output of the new cvr.

Thanks,

Barry
                          You can replace the old CVR with a solid state chip from Radio Shack, part number 7805, a 5 volt regulator. It has 3 legs, 12 volts in, ground and 5 volts out. I have been using them for a while in my 59 Dodge and just put one in my 59 Bird a week ago. It works great and only costs 1$
                          On Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3841411

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have checked out the Radio Shack Model 7805 unit and it has gone up in price big time! It is now $1.59! I have added it to the Technical Resource Library web page. Others there also say they have been using it for their gauges and it works well. That is a big savings over the cost of the other one! We know it is working for others, so you might want to save yourself some money and try one of these if you have to replace your CVR unit.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎