Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smokey6993
    • Jul 20 2012

1959 Bird won't chirp.

Hello, I've just inherited my fathers 59 after a nasty legal battle. Anyway, she would not give me the keys. I put a new ignition switch in her and a new battery. Tried to crank her over, after turning it over by hand, because she sat for 10 years. Nothing at all, not even a click. The gen light is on, but goes off when I turn the key. Turn signals and lights work. What could be my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Test the resistor block on the inside firewall, drivers side...

Might also try to bypass the starter solenoid on the passenger side inner fender apron too. Just to see if this is your culprit.

Good luck & keep us posted,
    Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

You have a loose battery connection.

The moment you said the GEN light went off, told me. You can verify by using one jumper cable. Put it on POS and touch the starter side of the solenoid. Make sure your gear is in PARK when you try because the starter should take off.

Sorry to hear you had such a battle. At least you got your Squarebird. I hope you enjoy many years of cruisin with her. ASAP, get a Shop Manual. All the vendors sell them.

If your jumper cable works on the starter, look for a mis-wired key switch. The electrical diagram is in our Technical Resource Library. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• smokey6993
        • Jul 20 2012

connections.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        You have a loose battery connection.

The moment you said the GEN light went off, told me. You can verify by using one jumper cable. Put it on POS and touch the starter side of the solenoid. Make sure your gear is in PARK when you try because the starter should take off.

Sorry to hear you had such a battle. At least you got your Squarebird. I hope you enjoy many years of cruisin with her. ASAP, get a Shop Manual. All the vendors sell them.

If your jumper cable works on the starter, look for a mis-wired key switch. The electrical diagram is in our Technical Resource Library. - Dave
        Thaks for the tips!! I checked the connections, they are tight, but a little rusty, not bad at all, but I'll clean all connections, and let you guys know. Thanks again!!!!! I'll get some pics up soon.

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Set the parking brake and block a tire too- Safety 1st.

-Jon in TX.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• smokey6993
            • Jul 20 2012

Selinoid..I hope

Well, I crossed the selinoid, and she turned over! Amen! lol I thought I would atleast hear a click from it, but I guess not. I'm just hoping that **** mouse didnt chew any wiring!

Comment

• smokey6993
              • Jul 20 2012

Whats next?

I suppose after the selinoid , its a cap, button, and points. I primed her, and cranked....not even trying to fire. Would you say to start with the cap, and points? And how would I check the regulator box?

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are you starting it with the key or just jumping the solenoid. Jumping the solenoid won't give a spark. You have to use the ignition switch or at least have it in the on position.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by smokey6993
                  I suppose after the selinoid , its a cap, button, and points. I primed her, and cranked....not even trying to fire. Would you say to start with the cap, and points? And how would I check the regulator box?
                  You aren't there yet.

Jon said to check the resistor. I'm with him. You can also check for voltage at the coil: With the key turned to 'IGN', check the coil's top stud that is marked +. You should find 12-volts to ground there. Let us know what you get.

When you turn the key to 'Start' and the shifter is in Park or Neutral, the solenoid should energize. Keep the key in START while you run the gear shifter up and down. See if you get any starter action. If not, we will troubleshoot from here.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

My guess it the Neutral Safety Switch is out of adjustment (or shifter detent is worn). Try starting it in neutral or hold the shifter up while turning the switch to the start position.

Eric

Comment

• smokey6993
                      • Jul 20 2012

Thanks!!!

You guys are great on here! I did have the key "on" when crossing the selinoid. I also moved the gear shifter around trying to start it. I'll be checking the coil, like Simplyconnected's suggestion! Thanks!!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Vic, please note our members' starting dates. Eric, John, and many others have been freely offering their skills and experiences far longer than I have. These guys made Squarebirds.org the finest and most friendly board in the world. Honestly, I have learned a lot from them, right here.

The electrical diagram shows OEM wiring, where a yellow wire comes from the Starter Relay and it ends at the Headlight Switch. This wire is hot all the time and NOT fused. Then a small yellow jumper feeds the Key Switch at the 'Battery' terminal. Verify this, so we're on the same page. All Squarebirds are wired this way.

* From the Key Switch Ignition terminal, a Red-Green wire goes through the 'Resistor' and it ends at the Coil (+) terminal. This sets-up the distributor to create a spark.

* From the Key Switch Start terminal (in the center), a Red-Blue wire goes through the Neutral Switch and energizes the Start Relay (solenoid). This makes the Starter Motor run.

Notes:
                        When the key is turned to 'Start', the Batt, Ign and Start terminals are internally connected.
                        In these (*) instances, the Starter Motor, Start Solenoid and the ignition Coil cases must have solid grounds.

I hope this helps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• smokey6993
                          • Jul 20 2012

Appreciated input!!

I appreciate everyones input! Thanks for the ignition explanation!!! This will help alot durring diagnosis!!! I'll be sure to keep you all posted. I have some work to get done this week, and will attack the bird after that! again thank you all!!!!!

Comment

• smokey6993
                            • Jul 20 2012

Coil voltage.

There are 12.1 at the coil when the key is turned on. WHats next?

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Take the coil wire off the distributor and lay it on the intake manifold close to some metal. Start the motor and see if you can see a spark jump. This will tell you if the coil is putting out a spark.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎