X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParTaxer
    Apprentice
    • Oct 8 2009

14" X 6" or 14" X 5.5"

I recently bought, what I thought were, '75 Granada wheels. I was looking more closely and two of them are 6" wide and the other two are 5.5" wide. Do I have a problem in disk conversion and tire rotation or is the difference insignificant?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Mike, it depends on which tire you mount on it. Check out tire/rim sizes.

As far as disk conversions, I'm not sold on ANY 14" wheels as being suitable. It might depend on which conversion you do... certainly a Granada wheel will work on a Granada spindle with a Granada caliper and rotor. I have that setup on my '55 Customline. I also had the snouts turned down to the original drum dimension, so my stock 15" X 5" wheels fit over the hub. No problems clearing the caliper because the wheel is 15".

Some of the members are using their original spindles with an add-on (Draxler or Scarebird) caliper bracket, GM-type calipers, and a Mustang 11" rotor. I have that setup on my '59 Galaxie.

Both Draxler and Scarebird say original wheels will not fit. I run 15" X 7" CragarSS wheels and they work great. My new tires are ~1/3" LOWER (but wider) than the originals because of the tire size I chose.

Hope this helps. - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; December 17, 2009, 01:35 PM. Reason: I'm too fat in my fingers (and other places too).
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ncbird
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

versailles/granada snout

Dave will your cragers fit over the Granada snout? I have a lead on a full Versailles front end set and I think I am going to go that route. My plans were torque thrust 15" wheels so I hope the aftermarket wheels will fit. What is your experience. Grant
      Grant
      NCbird on the Coast of NC
      "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

They'll fit. Granada 14 X 6's will clear. Only the girly 5.5's are too small, plus the center & offset aren't set up for discs.
        These 14's clear fine ( I do run a NARROW 1/16 spacer on the frt. The wheel was slightly touching the metal brake line on top of the caliper.)
        I have the 14 X 7's because I wanted the DEEP rally wheel look . . . Sorry, it's a Chevrolet thing . . . But it works on the Ford.

Be carefull of offsets when going w/aftermarket wheels. Cragers are fine, and they look sharp on a Sq/B.
        Attached Files

Comment

• ParTaxer
          Apprentice
          • Oct 8 2009

Those wheels look fine! I like that look very much. I just prefer hubs on the squares. I just purchased a set of '82 Tbird wires for 125.00. Thought that was a decent price and might spiff it up some.

Comment

• ParTaxer
            Apprentice
            • Oct 8 2009

The 5.5" wheels came from a disk setup. They are identical except for that half inch.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ncbird
              Dave will your cragers fit over the Granada snout? I have a lead on a full Versailles front end set and I think I am going to go that route. My plans were torque thrust 15" wheels so I hope the aftermarket wheels will fit. What is your experience. Grant
              Grant, I suggest you snatch-up those Versailles spindles as soon as possible. They are very hard to find, and perfect for your application. The lower ball joint 'factory' hole is the correct size for your Thunderbird.

Mustang spindles need the hole opened up to match your Thunderbird ball joints. I just bought a new reamer for that ball joint hole... cost me $65 for the tool.

As soon as soon as I got my new rotors I had the snouts turned down to 2.55", which works just fine with ALL my wheels. I use NO SPACERS, either (on any of my cars). Ford didn't either.

Read this tutorial. <--Click here

I don't agree with everything this guy says, but he's mostly right. He doesn't realize our Squarebirds and mid '50's Ford cars can be retrofit with that spindle. He's all wet about the Verasilles spindle.

Take it in context, but read Page 18. They say to turn the snout down to 2.44". Before I read this, I measured my wheels and determined 2.55" was suitable.

On page 22, they use 15" Torque Thrust wheels on Granada rotors with no problem. I never had the Granada spindles mounted before they were turned, so I don't know about original fit for the Cragar SS wheels. I know the centers on the Cragar wheels were real large to accommodate spinners. Whatever wheel you use, measure the center hole and try mounting on the completed brake assembly BEFORE you mount a tire.

Grant, I hope this answers your question. - Dave

Here's a few pictures of Robin's Galaxie.<--click here

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
                Experienced
                • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by ParTaxer
                I recently bought, what I thought were, '75 Granada wheels. I was looking more closely and two of them are 6" wide and the other two are 5.5" wide. Do I have a problem in disk conversion and tire rotation or is the difference insignificant?
                I may have an answer for you in a month or so after I have done my disc conversion. Ray got me some 14" x 6" wheels which he was told were from a mid '70s Granada. I got a pair of rotors for a '80 Granada and the hubs would not go into the center holes of the wheels. So I exchanged the rotors for ones for a '68 Mustang and they fit fine.

It looks like the final assembly is going to be a tight squeeze. As you can see for the photo, there isn't much room to spare.
                Attached Files
                sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• ncbird
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 5 2008

Versailles spindles

Thanks Dave that was great info and just what I needed. I have specifically been hunting Versailles spindles so i didnt have to ream them. I got this set including proportioning/combo valve for 150.00 plus shipping. I think i am also going to get the MC since I just got a universal 9" booster with the correct bolt pattern for my brackets for $9.50 off Ebay. I like the idea of having the backing plates since that is the way Detroit builds all disc setups and the brackets dont give you that. I also like the fact that I will get a little over an inch of lowering in the front with them. My question is should they be aligned to Versailles specs instead of 60 tbird specs. I used a set of 55 olds spindles on a 35 ford straight axle one time and set them to the olds specs and everything was great. What do you think?
                  By the way great taste in wheels, cars and significant others Dave. Grant

just found out car (79 Versailles) has steel wheels. I can have them for 100 bucks if I take them with the spindles. If someone wants them let me know. G
                  Last edited by ncbird; December 18, 2009, 11:37 AM. Reason: added info
                  Grant
                  NCbird on the Coast of NC
                  "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ncbird
                    ...I got this set including proportioning/combo valve for 150.00 plus shipping...
                    The whole idea is to get a good disk brake setup CHEAP-ly. Bone yards have been collecting old Granada/Versailles spindles, and they know we need them REAL BAD. Consequently, they typically charge $300 for used spindles/rotors/calipers/prop valve. 'Supply & demand' is truly in force.

Remember, these cars were scrapped. The whole car wasn't worth $150. They simply remove the ball joints, snip the brake lines, put them in a big box (or two smaller boxes), and send them out. Not bad for twenty minutes work.

Grant, if you can get a complete Versailles setup for $150, that's GREAT! Since you are aligning a Thunderbird suspension, the geometry still uses T-bird spec's.

I have heard discussion about using NON-Ford products on Ford cars. Here's my take... I love Ford Motor Co., probably more than they love me. They intentionally DO NOT support their own older or classic cars. When we find product compatability, it's never from Ford, but from hotrodders (God Bless them) who try different setups. Sometimes aftermarket products are offered, usually by the hotrodders.

I guess it's nice to see Ford script on a more modern part used on a classic car, but that was never Ford's intent. Ford sells specific replacement parts only. Dealerships are not at liberty to swap Ford parts, or the factory warranty may be in jeopardy.

GM never intended for us to use their parts on Ford cars, either. Truth of the matter is, the big three have used each other's parts forever. Jeep and AMC used Autolite and Delco parts. So did Checker. Many of these parts are actually made by a third party, and sold with a Ford logo.

It matters little if you use a replacement Ford spindle, or an aftermarket bracket that fits your original spindle. Neither applications are authorized by Ford (and Ford couldn't care less). If Ford wanted us to enjoy power disk brakes on Squarebirds, THEY would have a kit, or they would license a company to sell Ford aftermarket products.

Common sense says it's OUR responsibility to buy quality/tested parts, and at least know who made them (and where). Now, more than any time in the past, we must really be careful with inferior foreign parts, because foreign parts are all we can get. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

Well said.
                      Being in GM Parts, I can back you up 100 % on that.
                      7/8's of our parts come from overseas anyways. I ordered a master cyl for a P/30 (Step van) last week. The label said "Made in the USA"
                      I almost fainted..
                      And we all know what Jeep stands for "Just Everybody Elses Parts"

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      The whole idea is to get a good disk brake setup CHEAP-ly. Bone yards have been collecting old Granada/Versailles spindles, and they know we need them REAL BAD. Consequently, they typically charge $300 for used spindles/rotors/calipers/prop valve. 'Supply & demand' is truly in force.

Remember, these cars were scrapped. The whole car wasn't worth $150. They simply remove the ball joints, snip the brake lines, put them in a big box (or two smaller boxes), and send them out. Not bad for twenty minutes work.

Grant, if you can get a complete Versailles setup for $150, that's GREAT! Since you are aligning a Thunderbird suspension, the geometry still uses T-bird spec's.

I have heard discussion about using NON-Ford products on Ford cars. Here's my take... I love Ford Motor Co., probably more than they love me. They intentionally DO NOT support their own older or classic cars. When we find product compatability, it's never from Ford, but from hotrodders (God Bless them) who try different setups. Sometimes aftermarket products are offered, usually by the hotrodders.

I guess it's nice to see Ford script on a more modern part used on a classic car, but that was never Ford's intent. Ford sells specific replacement parts only. Dealerships are not at liberty to swap Ford parts, or the factory warranty may be in jeopardy.

GM never intended for us to use their parts on Ford cars, either. Truth of the matter is, the big three have used each other's parts forever. Jeep and AMC used Autolite and Delco parts. So did Checker. Many of these parts are actually made by a third party, and sold with a Ford logo.

It matters little if you use a replacement Ford spindle, or an aftermarket bracket that fits your original spindle. Neither applications are authorized by Ford (and Ford couldn't care less). If Ford wanted us to enjoy power disk brakes on Squarebirds, THEY would have a kit, or they would license a company to sell Ford aftermarket products.

Common sense says it's OUR responsibility to buy quality/tested parts, and at least know who made them (and where). Now, more than any time in the past, we must really be careful with inferior foreign parts, because foreign parts are all we can get. - Dave

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Given the above info is correct regarding prices it would be better to buy a Granada wreck/rusted-out car and strip it of all the bits you need and then cart the remains off to the scrap-metal dealer?
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Yes, Scumdog. The problem is, in the US, Granada's were only sold from 1975-82, Mercury Monarch (1977-80), and Lincoln Versailles (1981-'82). Hardly any are left, so we look to the Mustang II's, which used similar spindles.

When we scrap cars, most of the commonly used parts are salvaged (engine/trans, wheels, radiator, radio, etc.) The rest is only worth scrap iron prices. Nearly all junk cars are cubed and melted for fast cash turnaround. (Same as Oz)

Spindles never wear out because they don't have any moving parts. Very few cars ever need a replacement spindle. Hotrodders discovered, these first Ford disk brake spindles fit HUNDREDS of classic Ford models, spreading over thirty years or more. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎