X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Pertronix for distributor

I want to get one of the Pertronix units for my distributor and their high output coil, do our birds have some type of resistor that is used with the original setup? If so do you have to remove it when you use the electronic Pertronix unit?
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158

When I installed the pertronix in my 59 I bypassed the resitor and it works fine now I have only driven the car about 20 mi. so far
    Bob M.

Comment

That's were i'm headed. On the 60 we have a resistor wire runnin to the coil. The voltage drops back by the firewall. That is were holley said hook the electric choke. Elec chokes and these cars don't mix. I'm sure there's directions with it. Let me know how it works unless I get mine first.
      I need 3 of um.........Bill

Comment

• Gold Bird
        Experienced
        • Nov 9 2007

Dumb question for the day, any ideas on where the resistor is located on the 60?

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

the resistor is a pink wire going back under the dash - part of the wiring harness I believe...can't remember.
          I have the Pertronix in my '60 and didn't do anything in particular with the resistor wire.
          I think the resistor issue comes more into play when dealing with an actual ballast resistor.
          Casey

Comment

• Gold Bird
            Experienced
            • Nov 9 2007

Casey, Did you notice any difference in the performance on the car? They say it gives much more spark than the stock setup, easier starting and so on......

Comment

• tarps3
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 21 2003

Starts MUCH easier and runs more smoothly. I even kept the stock coil.
              Seems to have more HP too but the conversion was done while I had my heads rebuilt so who is to say how much HP increase is attributible to the Pertronix. The performance is definitely better. I even have one in my '53 Olds - helps a lot with that old motor...
              Casey

Comment

Casey is right but i think the wire is green. We shouldn't have any issues with it. I need 1 for my 60,66 and 71 mark111. My lady says some people odopt children. THEY cost toooo much. cheers...............Bill

Comment

• tarps3
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 21 2003

nope.
                  It's pink. At least on my car.
                  do a search on "pink resistor wire" and you'll find many posts about it.
                  Casey

Comment

Your probebly right. I have green stuck in my head for some reason. It's
                    just a little to cold here to look right now. I'm starting to really hate these temps. 4 degress wind chill 20 with the sun out. Gota move the car by sat. So I'll let ya know. Right now it's rainin ice gona be fun at 5
                    in the morning.

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

I put the Petronix ignitor and coil in mine and I have to say, I didn't notice much difference. I will be happy not to have to mess with the points, though.

I didn't mess with the resistor wire, could that be zapping some of the effect of having the Petronix? Didn't know anything about that resistor wire at the time.

What's the purpose of the resistor wire vs. a regular wire? What do you think, do I need to mess with it or not?
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

• bcomo
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 23 2005

The stock Ford Coil uses less than 12 Volts. The resistor wire cuts the 12 Volts from the ignition switch to 8 or 9 Volts so that the coil won't burn out.

If you are running the stock coil with the Pertronix Ignitor (no points), you still need to use the resistor wire.

If you switch to the Pertronix Flame Thrower, MSD, or other 12 Volt coil for added voltage boost to the plugs, you have two choices.

1. Leave the resistor wire in, which gives the coil 9 Volts, but doesn't realize the full potential of the coil.

2. Bypass the resistor wire directly from the switch to the coil, which give the coil 12Volts and allows it to put out it's maximum rated voltage to the plugs.

I have the Pertronix Ignitor and FlameThower Coil and have tried it both ways for several months. Even with the resistor wire giving 9 Volts to the Pertronix coil was better than the stock coil at 9 Volts. I did not notice any difference bypassing the resistor wire and using 12Volts to the Pertronix coil.

One last thought. If you bypass the resistor wire, and run 12 Volts to the coil, AND sometime in the future, you or someone else decides to go back to the stock 9 Volt coil, you will have to go back to using the resistor wire or burn out the coil. Someone better leave a note in the glove box.
                        Bart
                        1960 Hard Top/430
                        Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Gold Bird
                          Experienced
                          • Nov 9 2007

I purchased the 40k coil too from Pertronix. Sounds like the way to go is bypass the wire and give the new coil the full 12V. Thanks to all for the help as always, now can someone do something about this nasty winter weather!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎