Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rln31455
    • Jul 30 2004

RE: What Model Transmission?

After a complete rebuild of my Cruise-o-matic and several fluid changes, my transmission would intermittently not up shift. I installed an external filter assembly. It is in series with the cooler lines. It uses a spin on oil filter. I purchased it from JEGS. I've had no problems since the filter was installed. The original brass screen is not as efficient as a modern paper filter.

Comment

• rln31455
      • Jul 30 2004

I had the same type of problems with the Cruise-o-matic in my '60 Sunliner. After a complete rebuild the shift points were erattic. I cleaned the governor several times. Shift points were perfect at first. They would deteriorate as it was driven. I did a couple of complete fluid changes. The problem persisted. I finally installed an external filter in series with the cooler lines. It uses a spin on oil filter. The kit was ordered from JEGS. I've had no problems since this minor modification was performed.

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

No, just the case is beefier (tech term) The internals are the same (for the most part)

Find yourself a mid 60's t/case (Galaxie, Merc Monterey etc-something from a 390 or 428 car)Take the trans to a shop. Have them just re-seal it (RPM makes a kit. I think it's about 100 bucks incl new steels and fibers . Repl the modulator (if so equipped-mine is) and the servos & gvnr. A reman Tq/Cnvtr will run you about another 100 bucks. For probably 500 or so, you'll have a good trans for allot of years. Just as we've said "DON'T BACK UP AND PUT IT IN DRIVE WHILE YOU'RE STILL MOVING BACKWARDS"

If you want totally bulletproof, get a C6 and slap that baby in there. If treated properly (Svc'd regularly) it will run forever. It's not a hard change over. You'll have to upgrade the flywhl and starter (Thats a good thing though . . . later model starter)

The tranny guys (GM & Ford) tell me to service them every year regardless of mileage.

Happy Trails

Comment

• peeeot
          Experienced
          • Oct 23 2005

It will probably be a while yet before I can realistically afford to obtain another transmission. I drove my bird today for the first time in at least a week, and it whifted pretty well. It's still a bit inconsistent, but it improves in every respect as it warms up. It works well enough to drive, and for now that it my priority.

I need to get the car licensed so that I can drive it regularly. Then it will be easier to tell what problems are consistent and make the appropriate adjustements, or otherwise address them. This is probably true for any of my drivability/tuning issues. The engine isn't even properly broken in yet.

I'm only just now realizing that it makes sense to address this stuff in detail when the car is licensed and not necessarily before.

I will remember the note about the filter, though. That sounds like it could come in handy.

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

So! All along I've been under the impression that type-F transmission fluid was not red like Dexron III. I assumed, therefore, that the red fluid that was in my transmission when I bought the car was Dexron III.

Well, apparently that was not necessarily the case since I just bought some red Type F for my power steering system, and I know you aren't supposed to mix type F and Dexron, though I really can't be sure now what fluid was in there when I bought the car.

I can't remember how much fluid was in the tranny when I bought the car, but I know it was low (but not empty). I've since changed the filter and the cooler lines and the radiator core, but I don't believe I ever drained the torque converter.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether any of the trans. issues I've had could be related to mixing Type F and Dexron III. What do ya'll think?

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

You should run DexIII, but yeah, like you said, don't mix them. Best bet is, flush the trans. Most shops have the flush mach to do this. Basically, you discon the cooler lines, pump ALL the fluid out (T/Conv too) and repl w/Dexron. Type F is ancient history. Run Dex3 !!! You can run F in the P/S.

The in-line filter is not a bad idea. You can also get an external trans cooler with a filter. They're small, like a motorcycle oil cooler, but will drop the trans fluid temp 20-30 deg. I believe Hayden makes them.

JB

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

Okay, I'm thinking again about that filter. Where would I install it? I have brand new cooler lines that fit very nicely where they are. I can't really see where the inline filter would fit.

Also, when I took my trans. pan off there wasn't a magnet in there. There was, however, a little piece of metal welded to the bottom of the pan that pointed towards the trans. Is it supposed to have a magnet?

If I install a filter, will I still need to flush the trans to get the junk out, or will it clean on its own? Will I be able to find replacement filters easily?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Is this the Jeg's kit? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_18311_-1

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

That external filter is preventative mainenance only. It's not going to fix your problems. You need to drive this car, not run it around the block. The tranmission needs to get hot. Get that fluid up to 200 deg (aprox operating temp) Get your DMV paper work and take this car out for a day. Run it at all the different speeds. Don't be afraid to kick it in the a__ a little. You might be surprised how sticky things in an (old) automatic transmission can free up when you use it. Worked with mine.

Run it !!!! I make it a point to run my car at least every two weeks weather permitting. And I run it right down the free way. 10-15 miles out and then back.

John

Comment

• peeeot
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 23 2005

Well, I finally have acquired a temporary tag and have gotten to drive my Thunderbird properly. I haven't had it on the freeway yet because I needed to buy new tires before doing any serious driving, but I'm certain I gave it a good enough workout to warm the transmission up properly and put it through its paces.

Before driving, I removed and cleaned the governor valve again. I was able to detect a few (one? two?) really tiny bits of grit that were causing the valve to bind. So, for the fir st part of my driving today, the transmission performed quite well.

However, after just 15 miles or so, the quality of the shifting began to deteriorate, and it got to the point that I had to drive almost exclusively in 2nd gear in D2 because there was no 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift came very late and quite hard.

So it's obvious that there's some kind of debris in there that's messing up my shifting. My question is, how do I get rid of it? Am I going to have to keep removing that valve and cleaning it until it quits getting stuck?

An external filter may catch more junk, but how will that help with the junk that's already stuck in the governor and possibly in the other valves or the passages en route to the governor? Would a flush work any better?

After today, I doubt that this is the sort of self-correcting problem remedied by driving the car more.

Comment

• peeeot
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 23 2005

I may have spoken too soon. I sure hope so. Time will tell.

I cleaned the governor again first thing this morning and drove something like 30 miles or so, including a couple of stints on the highway up to 70mph, and the trans shifted well the whole time.

It sure is fun to drive when the tranny works right!

Shifts came smoothly and at the correct times.

Let's just hope it stays that way.

Comment

• rln31455
                        • Jul 30 2004

Yes, that is the filter kit I installed on my car. I did not want to cut the trans cooler lines. I disconnected one of the cooler lines at the trans. I installed a short new piece of cooler line at the trans fitting. I installed the filter in series using the hose provided in the kit. The filter and housing were remotely mounted using an existing hole in the frame. The car can be returned to factory condition with no problem. My car is a '60 Sunliner with an X frame. Clearances were a little tight. I've experienced no problems with leaks. T bird insallation will probably be different. It shouldn't be too hard. I also slipped insulation material over the hoses to prevent damage from exhaust heat. The modern paper filter is much more efficient than the original brass screen filter. I'm sure this will prevent the problems with contamination to your governor. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎