X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Window not working

My driver side window glass is stuck in the up position, my local mechanic took a look today and unfortunately has no idea if its the motor or regulator and does not know where to tackle the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Since it's only one window it's probably one of three things. Either your switch is bad, the circuit breaker or ground connection to the circuit breaker is bad or the motor itself isn't turning. When you hit the switch can you hear or feel anything coming from the window. If you push down on the window with the switch on can you get it to move. If you aren't hearing anything coming from the window then I would start at the switch. Any competent mechanic should know how to troubleshoot a power window problem. They haven't changed much in 50 years.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Gold Bird
      Experienced
      • Nov 9 2007

My local guy is pretty good but think he is just afraid to break the window or some other part. When you move the switch there is no noise from the door, I tried to push the switch and the window at the same time but does not move. He did tell me the motor seems to go in one direction but not the other when he had the door panel off. I have another shop that I am going to call next. Appreciate the help and coments! You would know our big car show is on July 8th and the darn window is stuck in the up position!

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If he had the door panel off he should've been able to test for voltage at the motor. That would've told you whether it was a motor problem or a switch problem. You shouldn't have to go to multiple mechanics to troubleshoot a simple problem.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Gold Bird
          Experienced
          • Nov 9 2007

John, you are right! Called my other shop and they are taking a look on Monday, said it should not be a big deal

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

The p/w on these cars use multiple circuit breakers. One is common for power to all windows and is located in the engine compartment. Each window also has a circuit breaker on the ground side of the motor located at each window. If the window moves or reacts in one position, then the circuit breakers are okay.
            The most common problem is the window switch. They can either be cleaned or replaced. About 70% probability for a bad switch. The next thing would be the motor. It has separate windings for each direction. If one set of windings shorted, you will need a new motor. 20% probability. The last would be an open in the wiring. Probably about a 10% chance. Hope your new mechanic knows how to troubleshoot a basic electrical system.
            Nyles

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
              Experienced
              • Jun 2 2010

Just to add to the mix here...If it's the breaker for the drivers window, it is located under the dash up by the heater vent on the side of the car. Two of mine were bad. If you need a new one, I believe they are 25 amp breakers. T-bird houses want $50 for them? You can buy the same one on ebay with a slightly different mounting plate for $5.
              The switches are window specific by part number with the drivers side front being the same as the rear passenger side...go figure. They run around $35 ea. There is a special spring clip holding the switch housing in place to the console. Make sure the jug-head mechanic doesn't try ripping it out of the console. I believe you have to go in through the ashtray to coax it out without damage.
              To be honest, this might be a good opportunity to explore this on your own, step by step. I'm sure we could walk you through it.
              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Gold Bird
                Experienced
                • Nov 9 2007

Thanks to all for the great help, come to think of it when we did the interior on the car one of the window switches did not work. When we put things back together it worked. Will check out today. 👍

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Tom, do you have an electrical diagram for your windows?
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Window not working

As a reminder... The wiring diagrams for these old Tbirds of ours are in the Technical Resource Library (TRL), the link to which is always part of my signature, and that of jopizz. Also you can get to it through the Technical Resource Library Forum, above the '55-'57 Little Bird Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎