This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Experienced

ssj335 is on a distinguished road
Default Car Show Etiquette

Hey!

So I have never been to a car show before. I always wanted to go but since I didn't have anything to bring I just never went. Silly I know since spectators are welcome.

Anyhow - what are car shows like? Such a funny question. But what can one expect? What are the do's and don'ts? School me please. =)

And what is the difference between Cruise Nights and Car Shows?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Kirsten, for one who loves classic cars, they are fun to go to, to see what others have done to their classic car, keep it original, modify it, or customize it. It gives one ideas as to what they might want to do to their own classic car. As for etiquette, one thing is DO NOT touch the cars. People spend hours and hours detailing their cars, and they don't want your fingerprints on it, or you leaning over it, possibly scratching the paint with your clothes, or jewelry...

The difference between a Cruise Night and a S&S (Show & Shine) event is this. Cruise Nights are when you drive your classic car to a local food spot where other Classic car owners go to, to show off their cars. A S&S event is often, but not always, a judged event, where you shine up your car before hand, take it to the car show, enter it in for judging and see if you can walk away with a trophy...

When you can, I would suggest that you go to both, even if you do not have your Tbird up and running safely. But talk with Elliott and ask him where they have their Cruise Nights at, and drive your regular car to one, and enjoy seeing a Cruise Night event. When your Tbird is ready, then you can start driving it to them and show it off. The same applies to car shows, when the Bird is ready to be shown off under judging rules, or you can just enter it to be shown without judging...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Experienced

Man both sound like fun. Thanks for the differentiation.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There are many different types of car shows. Some are very informal where if there is judging it's only done by people's choice. Others will separate cars into classes and your car will be judged against other cars in your class. These usually aren't very technical. Then you have the car shows with formal judging where your car is judged on a point system (usually 300 or 100) and is compared against how it left the factory. Any deviation results in point deductions and usually the three highest pointed cars will win trophies. These can be quite stressful as you have to stay with your car until the judges complete their inspection and you have to start the car and operate all the lights, horn, etc.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 08-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

I am glad that John gave you a good overview of how various car shows are done. Usually, once you check into a judged car show, you are given a certain number of hours to finish cleaning your car for judging, having it ready for inspection. Many owners do their detailing of the car prior to going to the event, and then spend their time putting the finishing touches to it, until they get the "Rags Down" alert to stop cleaning. Then the judges start making their rounds to inspect each car. This can take hours and towards the end of the day, they will announce the winners and award the trophies. The problems with some car shows is that they are often run by other car clubs, and they may not have a class for your type of car. For example, you have a 1959 Tbird, and you might be competing against cars of that club, which might be a Chevy club, as an example. Other types of shows may have classes that include, among many others, a division for 1955-2005 Tbirds. There you are competing against all years of Tbirds. Other shows may break that division down by years, 1955-1957, 1958-1960, 1961-1963, 1964-1966, 1967 and up, and finally, 2002-2005. But then, again, you might be competing against Caddys, Plymouths, Dodge, Chevies, of the same years...

Me I got tired of competing in shows that were run by car clubs that where not of the same make as my classic car... It seemed to be unfair competition. So those I try and stay away from. Then there are others that break down the cars into divisions, where you have a better chance of competing. As for myself, I have stopped competing for trophies for several reasons. Many of our car shows are held during the Summer months here in Texas, and in heat of high 90's while you are prepping your car for judging. Then you have to sit, stand, or get under a canopy to keep from being fried by the 100+ degree Texas sun... At 82 years of age, I have no desire to be turned into an egg omelet on a Texas pavement... Since my trunk is full of trophies, I stopped competing... But you are new at this, and when you have your Tbird ready for showing, go for it, show her off, get her judged, gain some trophies. For one thing you have a Tbird with a fairly rare color combination.. That will help... In the meantime, go to the Cruise Night events, enjoy good food, good company with your fellow Tbird club members, and others from other clubs, there showing off their pride and joy. You can make some great future friendships, and also gain a lot of information regarding your own Tbird. You may also find some who are very good mechanics and know how to work on your Tbird quite well...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 08-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Experienced

This is great info. I don't think I would be into the really intense shows except to spectate. Seems like it takes the joy out of it. But I can see how other people would love that.

I'd be more of a park-the-car and look around for a few hours and then leave. It will be highly interesting to go to one and see what the vibe is like. Can't wait!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default Join a local T-Bird Club!

There is probably a T-Bird Club somewhere nearby. Join in! That local club will include folks that are passionate about their cars and anxious to help keep T-Bird enthusiasm alive and well!

I agree X2 about going to cruise nights and learning about your car from others. Car shows are fun too, and yes some shows may favor a particular brands but as Ray said, at a certain point, another trophy is not as important as just getting your car out, seeing other cars and meeting car folks.

These cars need to be driven!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042