1960 Thunderbird Performance Restomod-Help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superspy Matt Helm
    • Jul 19 2012

Wow Dave! Are you two different people? You go from quote:"The more you irreversibly hack into it, the more it will lose value. - Dave" to asking me where you can get a "bolt on rack and pinion" ???? Quote:"Also, let us know who offers (bolt on) power rack and pinion steering for Squarebirds. Good luck. - Dave " What the Heck? Again what is the point to refuting your nonsense? I guess the big question is: If you actually have a thunderbird with a 352 in it and you run it "rich" to avoid detination and you are so apparently well versed in hot rodding ford fe's all of a sudden and have done all kinds of expensive projects, and this is a very relavent question, why can't you simply pull the two cylinder heads off your T-bird, take them to the machine shop and have the guy update the heads with valves and seats so you don't carbon up your valves and combustion chambers for a couple hundred bucks? That will actually add value to your t-bird. And about the 351W to 427 thing. Now we are talking about a specially engineered race block? I guess you figured out I was right that you can't just take a 351w small block and magically turn it into a 427, the block simply was not designed to handle 700 hp. Anyway, what is the point? You want to stick a small block in a big block car? If you are going to the expense of a small block 351w race block, why not just get a Genesis or Dove real live big block 427 side oiler cross bolted mains extravaganza for $3500? It bolts right in. Your small block nightmare would require all kinds of conversion crap and fitment issues, DUH! And just so you know, I DON'T like superchargers and turbochargers their power curve climbs too fast and its easy to spin tires and lose traction, Not good if you are trying to win a race on the street. I much prefer a normally asperated torque and horsepower curve. In other words given the choice I would rather have the normally asperated 600 hp engine rather than the Turbocharged or nitroused 600 hp engine. But that's just me. Again what does all this have to do with helping me find performance suspension parts which was my original request for this thread. If you don't have any suggestions why are you even involved in this thread and persisting in taking it in other directions?

Comment

• Jimz Bird
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by Superspy Matt Helm
      Wow Dave! Are you two different people?
      Actually, I think Dave is more than just two guys. He, as many others, wear many different hats depending on the discussion.

Most folks here, whether "purist" or "rat-rodder" or somewhere in between input where we can. Ultimately though, it is your Bird and feel free to do what you want with it and keep us posted. We do like to see all the unique things that are done and all the tips people come up with.

You have some good thoughts there so it will be interesting to see how your project works out for you.
      Jim
      Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

Maybe you should just visit carsbycarl.com and drop a nasty 385-series engine into your car.

It will fit.

You will need the "snakebite" crate engine, if you want to avoid cutting a hole in the hood. (Torker II intake is not very tall) 9500 bucks. I'm saving my pennies.

There are guys on 460ford.com running 12's with GIANT early 70's Ford LTDs and such.

Check it out.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

I hope the dialog didn't scare you away. In my view these cars weren't made to be performers, meaning tight handling or pure speed for that matter. They were made to go well and ride well.

That certainly could be changed, but I don't think there are enough owners that want to change it (at least dramatically) for there to be a market for the parts. You can get an HD sway bar and an add on rear sway bar and better shocks, but that's about it, as far as I know.

Of course if you want speed, that's a bit easier as long as you don't want to turn much without slowing down.

I hope you are successful in finding what you want and stick around to tell us how you did it. We need everyone here from the purists to the all out customizers.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• 63-4drpost
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

Lincoln LS suspension

I own a 2000 Lincoln LS, and it is a great handling car. I think a lot of hot-rodders are missing the boat on this car. It has aluminum control arms, independent rear axle,etc. Do some measuring and figure it out. The squarebirds have a very low center of gravity , and will handle as good as ANY 3700# car around.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by dgs
              You can get an HD sway bar and an add on rear sway bar and better shocks, but that's about it, as far as I know.
              I'd like to know how to acquire said bars. My '64 has a skinny little front bar only and I'm used to cars with a front bar as big as a radiator hose as well as a decent size rear bar.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Thunderbird Performance Restomod-Help

Check with the Tbird parts houses listed in the Advertisements Forum. They have them, or at least the Bird Nest does. If you don't have a Bird Nest catalog, check their website. That information is there also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I found them in Bird Nest. That guy's got nearly everything, and is cheaper than Mac's. I just ordered over $1100 in rubber and chrome.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Gentlemen,

What this poster wants to do with his personal BIRD is entirely possible and yes the car will handle much better. Now items like tubular A-Arms is a stretch for me personally (cost @ they would have to be fabricated). But front/rear sway bars and arm bushing upgrades are entirely possible and not costly (and there is available a rack upgrade).

If one just studies POLICE Packages and how they made a 4,000lb monster into a handler will realize it all as possible.

The early 352 can be bored to accept the EDLEBROCK heads easily. And there was a 390 block in 1958/1959. It was the 361 EDSEL engine (352 stroke).

If you want a 2" drop, just use GRANADA spindles. Cheap way out. Lower the rear with blocks or custom made leaf springs.

Comment

• mattyel
                      Apprentice
                      • Jul 31 2011

These guys do a 12" rotor and with 4 piston calipers
                      With 1 1/2 or 2" drop spindles
                      The brake kit run apx $1,600.00 plus shipping

Its the same kit I'm planning on running in mine.
                      He sent me some photos they are a willwood caliper and look pretty good if you send me your email I can send you his email address and the photos
                      No ossifer, I'm not as think as you drunk I am.http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7434728&type=3

Comment

• Squarebirdrookie
                        • May 16 2019

I have a bucket list dream. I am looking fo 1960 squarebird to restore model. My plan is to put a 427 cammer in a 60 third. Fyi, a 427 side oiler single over head cam fe ford engine. Don't mean to insult anyone, but I just found out about this engine a few months ago. This engine was first built by ford for racing in nascar in the mid 60's and nascar disallowed it. The engine can turn 7200 rpm, and can be built completely from aftermarket parts. You can even get an aluminum block.

I plan to put rack and pinion front suspension on the front and 4 link suspension in the rear. I am thinking c6 automatic with gear vendors overunderdrive or a modern 6speed automatic. I am thinking pro touring style so I will make it handle as good as possible.
                        Just beginning to start this dream, so here's a starting question. Is it possible to a 60 rolling chassis? Don't need the engine or tranny.

Comment

• gregz
                          Experienced
                          • Aug 9 2015

There are quite a few posts on here from guys who made modifications to there steering and suspensions. I am in the process of making engine and suspension changes. I had a 445 stroker engine built and am adapting a 4r70w overdrive transmission to it. Broader Performance Transmissions out of Weatherford, Texas builds these FE trans. by adapting a FMX bellhousing ,for an fe engine, to the 4r70w trans. The fmx bellhousing has to be 1965 and newer usually found in trucks with fe trans and some of the bigger ford cars. I will be using a Lokar automatic electronic console shifter with it. For suspension and steering I am still researching ideas. Some people on here set up a Cavalier rack with good luck. I talked to 2 companies who built T birds, Level 7 Motorsports and Stoner speed shop. You can google them on line for more detail. Just some brief info from them, both companies built there cars with modern engines. but still set up cars with rear steer racks. Both companies were dealing with suspension geometry issues. Level 7 worked with No Limit Engineering to have custom spindles made using a adjustable mustang II style upper control arm with stock lower control arm. Stoner speed shop actually had new upper and lower control arms made by Michigan Metal Works out of Midland,Michigan. Unfortunately the companies that are making aftermarket rack kits still don't seem to have an interest in making a system for 58-60 T birds. I do like the set up Flaming River has for the 55-57 T bird with the arm that attaches to both ends of their rack and has the inner tie rods attached to that bar in stock location of oem steering setup. This seems to me to be a little more solid than the way the Cavalier set up is. For alot more money Scott's Hot Rod s out of Tenns. is building a complete chassis for the 58-60 T bird. There is alot of modifications that have to be made to make it work. You can follow a T bird build being done now by Driven Restorations in Wisconsin. All these mods are expensive, more than resell value and some people frown on making these mods, but I don,t worry about what I put into the car. This is probably going to be the only build I will ever do and I want to make it the I want it ( with what my pocket book can afford and my wife not knowing all that I have in it!)

Comment

• 60BattleBird
                            Apprentice
                            • Nov 30 2019

Originally posted by gregz
                            There are quite a few posts on here from guys who made modifications to there steering and suspensions. I am in the process of making engine and suspension changes. I had a 445 stroker engine built and am adapting a 4r70w overdrive transmission to it. Broader Performance Transmissions out of Weatherford, Texas builds these FE trans. by adapting a FMX bellhousing ,for an fe engine, to the 4r70w trans. The fmx bellhousing has to be 1965 and newer usually found in trucks with fe trans and some of the bigger ford cars. I will be using a Lokar automatic electronic console shifter with it. For suspension and steering I am still researching ideas. Some people on here set up a Cavalier rack with good luck. I talked to 2 companies who built T birds, Level 7 Motorsports and Stoner speed shop. You can google them on line for more detail. Just some brief info from them, both companies built there cars with modern engines. but still set up cars with rear steer racks. Both companies were dealing with suspension geometry issues. Level 7 worked with No Limit Engineering to have custom spindles made using a adjustable mustang II style upper control arm with stock lower control arm. Stoner speed shop actually had new upper and lower control arms made by Michigan Metal Works out of Midland,Michigan. Unfortunately the companies that are making aftermarket rack kits still don't seem to have an interest in making a system for 58-60 T birds. I do like the set up Flaming River has for the 55-57 T bird with the arm that attaches to both ends of their rack and has the inner tie rods attached to that bar in stock location of oem steering setup. This seems to me to be a little more solid than the way the Cavalier set up is. For alot more money Scott's Hot Rod s out of Tenns. is building a complete chassis for the 58-60 T bird. There is alot of modifications that have to be made to make it work. You can follow a T bird build being done now by Driven Restorations in Wisconsin. All these mods are expensive, more than resell value and some people frown on making these mods, but I don,t worry about what I put into the car. This is probably going to be the only build I will ever do and I want to make it the I want it ( with what my pocket book can afford and my wife not knowing all that I have in it!)
                            Yeah man, that one by Level7 is one of the most ****** Squarebirds I’ve ever seen
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• 60BattleBird
                              Apprentice
                              • Nov 30 2019

Superspy Matt Helm i know this is an ancient thread, however I’m wanting to turn my 60 BattleBird into a capable road course car and wanted to know if you ever found a supplier/solution?

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Leonard, Jeff, Superspy Matt Helm has not been active on this Forum since August, 2015! However, try sending him a Private Message and see if he responds to it. He might get an email as a result, telling him that someone is trying to get in contact with him....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎