No announcement yet.

Golde Top Production numbers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golde Top Production numbers?

My first post as the proud new owner of a '60 Golde top (352) with Cruisomatic and A/C. She's beautiful, and on her way to Australia!

I have only just become aware of the rarity of the Golde top option. Can anyone give me an idea as to the total production of this model, and how much the Golde top adds to the value of a non-sunroof car?

Cheers

PR

Original Golde roof?

Also, after reading a few of the other posts, I am questioning whether it has a factory Golde roof. What is the size of the actual opening? I have looked at the press release photo on this site, and it seems to have a larger "hole" than mine, althpough the turn handle mechanism appaers to be the same.

Maybe the press release shot was not the final Golde fitment? I realise that the punch card is hopefully in the sun roof panel, but I can't check now, as the car is on the water. Can anyone assist?

Thanks again.

PR

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Welcome to the site.

The production of the 1960 Golde Top was 2536 or 2500 depending on the sources. It is rare.

There are subtle differences between the press release photo and the actual production roof, notably the attachment of the sunroof headliner to the front of the sunroof.

The roof opening is very wide compared to current sunroofs. It is exactly a meter across (39.37 inches). The roof is of German design, so it is not so surprising that that it is metric in measurement.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

Alexander, of the 2500 or so, do you have any numbers on how many had 352's and how many had 430's??

On a different note, I have a vague recollection from several years ago that there was a Golde Top found in NH that was electric. Was any additional information ever gathered on that one?? I seem to recall that someone in Britain or someplace had purchased the sunroof part and had it removed.

John
        non Golde Top owner
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Ford left no official record as to specific options with other options. I don't think there is specific information as to how many 430 engined 1959 and 1960's were made. We know they were less than 10 percent of production, maybe even less than 5 percent.

Rockin' Kev of this site bought the roof of that electric Golde Top.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

Ah!! That is the source of the thread "Power Golde"... thanks!

john
            Last edited by JohnG; June 28, 2007, 06:46 AM.
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Your car is on the water just was wondering where you had to go to find your car and how many Squarebirds do you think you might have in your country
              Bob M
              Kentucky,USA

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Peter welcome to the site and I too am interested, in knowing just how many squarebirds you might have in Auatralia.Keep your posts coming and let us know when she arrives.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

I have sent out at least half a dozen detent plates to Australia, so there must a lot of dedicated Squarebird enthusiasts there.
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

There were 377 1960 Thuderbirds w/sunroofs and 430's.
                    Unsure of prod #'s for 59 430 TBirds (Not many)

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

THUNDERBIRDS . . . (excuse me)

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 31 2002

power golde

Hi,
                        After the fire and the loss of my beautiful fully loaded J code i managed to rescue the power roof.

Ok, The Golde roof in Fords history and what was Factory and what was not, as you know Golde had all ready open an office in Detriot many years before Ford approach Golde to design them a sunroof, as the sunroof fitted at the Wixom factory was fitted in by Golde, a number of bodies from the Budd company were sent to Golde for the installation of the roof then the shell return to Wixom were the car had its own trim line to fit the interior trim for the sunroof.

As you all know or some of you a POWER golde sunroof was found in a Breakers yard in NH, this is true and i had to purchase the whole car! just to get that roof.
                        With the help of my New Friend, Dave he saved as much as possible and the needed parts were shipped to my home here in England.

On inspection of the parts, all of which are Golde part number and stamped!! and further to the design i can assure you all the car was a genuine power Golde roof.

As you all know , way back when you could get Fctory and dealer options, so in truth there was nothing stopping you from ordering a sunroof car from your dealer and asking them to contact Golde direct to ask for the option to be power and not manual.

Everyone must understand that this sunroof was nothing to do with Fords design studio, the whole roof and patents were and still Golde Owned.

I have owned other Classic cars with manual and power Golde sunroof, i have quite an extensive book collection on the designs and the company of which as you know was later sold via the ASC (American Sunroof Company) .
                        If you have a chance to check out the 1973 Buicks or even the 1970 Thunderbirds the power roof designs in those cars are near on the same.

In some of my original books i have clear photo shots of 1959 Buicks and Oldsmobile with manual and POWER roofs fitted, i even have a 1958 Ford Fairlane with the said roof fitted, in a genuine Golde company design book.

I had the roof fitted in my old Manual sunroof car and the whole job was done in one day! as the design was so simple.
                        The roof was fitted by Time Served craftmen here in Engalnd who were doing teh job 50 years ago, infact the chap who fitted it was fitting them in the 1960s so it was done right.
                        The company also held Blue Prints on the roof to show me from there own records.

So i still have the power roof and all that is needed to change your manual roof to a power one, so one day i will have to buy another Golde and sell my Aquamarine Convertible of which is jaw dropping but its not that 1 of 377 built! lincoln hot rod toy.

Kev,

Comment

Another Aussie Squarebird

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                          Peter welcome to the site and I too am interested, in knowing just how many squarebirds you might have in Auatralia.Keep your posts coming and let us know when she arrives.

Hi Dano,
                          I've just joined and I have a 1960 Bird on the water to Brisbane Australia from LA. It should be here in the next 2 weeks. It has a sunroof which from reading this website is rare. I was told by the seller, it was a "moon roof"
                          I have had a 60 and 2 x 65's in the past.

Comment

• Penelope
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 4 2008

Welcome Ozroadrunner, nice to see another Squarebirder down here in Oz. A couple of guys have asked how many squarebirds are in OZ. According to the Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia, they think about 15, plus one more now!

Bill
                            sigpicBill
                            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• tbird430
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 18 2007

Congrats on a fine purchase. The '60 sunroof's were quite rare- only some 4200 were made (Roughly 390 had the 430cid engine option). The sunroof didn't appear as a T-Bird option again until 1969....
                              sigpic
                              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎