Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Replace Steering Wheel with Smaller one?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meridious
    Experienced
    • Nov 16 2007

Anyone Ever Replace Steering Wheel with Smaller one?

I have kept my Tbird as close to original as possible. I did install a new AC and convert it to alternator but I haven't done anything that (without opening the hood for further inspection) would jump out as horribly unoriginal.

But I am 5 11" 260 lbs with spinal fusion in TWO places of my back. So.....it just hurts like an SOB to get in and out, getting my leg under that HUGE honking (literally) steering wheel.

Winter is coming, so I have ordered the electric windshield wiper kit and the steering wheel detent kit for work in the garage. Since I am taking that steering wheel off for the detent work, would it be very difficult to replace it with a smaller one?

I could not find any photos here of anyone doing that...and I am wondering if it is even conceivable. Seems to me that it would just be a matter of finding the right wheel and bolting it on.

Having had my car for 4 years....I know it just CANNOT be that simple.

Long story short: Can anyone help me or point me to someone who has replaced the original with a smaller wheel?

Thanks,

Merid
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a 15-inch "Indy" on my car. It came with the car, and as far as I can tell (I've removed it several times), it bolted right up to the steering column without any weird modifications.
    Attached Files
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Some steering wheel restoration companies also resize steering wheels and will retain the original appearance. Not always possible and retain the original horn ring configuration, but a Google search should find some restorers. I have seen 55-57's with downsized steering wheels and the only noticable difference is this distance between the original horn ring and the I D of the steering wheel. They look very nice.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

dakota boy

dakota boy, is that a floor shifter I see?? I am converting my 1960 T-Bird to a 3-speed toploader , need any advice you may have.Henry

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

That is a Hurst V-Matic II for the C6 auto trans that I have.

Red button is for the Hurst Roll Control.

Stainless plate around the shifter covers up the hole in the console. I had to fabricate it a couple summers ago when I got my car from the seller. The car was about 90% done, but that last 10% has kept me busy, thats for sure.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

I'm getting ready for a Grant 15". With horn kit and ford adapter around $130. I'm smaller than you and I struggle with it too. What were they thinking?
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

It does look like they used the big wheel so that the little ladies driving the car would have completely effortless steering with the "big" car. There's too much mechanical advantage and boost.

The '61 has a 1" smaller wheel, correct?
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Meridious
                Experienced
                • Nov 16 2007

I found a decent-looking wood-grained 15-inch Grant on Ebay. Comes with a 1960 T-bird adapter plate and a little wheel puller. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Ebay: Grant Steering Wheel: Wood Grain 15-inch

Just might go for that one. I keep all my original parts, so if (Lord forbid) I have to sell it and run into someone who would like to set EVERYTHING back original...they will be able to do it.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎