X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Working on Squarebirds

It has been three days since someone last made a post here in this forum. The weather is getting warmer, everyone should be working on their Squarebirds. Tell us what you are working on.

A radio collector friend of mine sent me this ad:

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: Working on Squarebirds

Well, let's see. other than the rear seal thing -

I just got my rear bumpers returned from the chrome shop - I can't wait to put them on this weekend. They look stunning!
    I replaced all the hardware on them and restored all the brackets and miscellaneous pieces while they were gone.

Recently I've spent a lot of time detailing the engine compartment. I repainted the passenger side inner fender where some battery acid had eaten away the paint; replaced some wiring clips, etc.

I also rebuilt my clock and it works great.

I plan on rechroming the front bumpers once I get the rear ones paid off. Can someone tell me - does chrome have some sort of ultra-rare ingredient in it or what? geeze that rechroming business is expensive! I figured it must be a platinum-based product - ha!

that's about it!
    getting ready for a couple of car shows this April if I can squeeze them in betweeen all my daughter's spring-time activities.

Casey
    '60 TBird hardtop
    '64 Galaxie convertible
    Casey

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Most of the the chromium that is used in the US is imported from South Africa, Turkey, Kazakstan, Zimbabwe and Russia. This has been the case for decades as there is not enough mined in this country. It is expensive. The other factor that makes chroming expensive is that it is labor intensive - the straightening, filling in of defects and polishing is all by hand. Plus the increasing environmental laws makes it expensive to get rid of the waste that the chroming process generates.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Weather has come in like a lamb here in Vermont (so we will have to wait for it to go out like a lion) - still a little to cool to be working outside on the car.

However, I am taking a welding class and have bought a 110v mig welder so that I can work the rockers and a few other areas of opportunity as a result of too much time in Vermont (see the Removing the roof from a 60 hardtop and my other posts for details). Would always like to hear from anyone that has had similar experiences that would like to share what/how they did it.

I need to stiffen and patch the underside in order to get it inspected and on the road, which I would love to do sometime this coming summer......

Comment

• 1960Bird
          Experienced
          • Dec 4 2002

I am waiting to get the used Ford Granada spindles to start the conversion to front disc brakes.

Steve Ronk
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa
          1960 HT 390 cu in, Edelbrock RPM intake, shorty headers, two and one half inch exhaust and 3.70 rear gears...if you are going to go in style you might as well go fast
          390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

I got my bumpers and grill off with the assistance of a neighbor for the last step and took them off to a chrome plating shop Monday. I got a brief tour of the place and saw all the steps Alexander described.

My hand is still trembling from handing them my credit card to put a deposit down. Today is the first day I can control it enough to type.
            If I try to say the word "chrome" my jaw goes into spasms. I have heard there are support groups...

Other than that, I had my transmission rebuilt last November. Shortly thereafter the heater core developed a leak and I suspect the two are related due to the engine being jacked up. So I have to take it out and see what the problem is; hopefully I can solder a crack rather than replacing it. Solve one problem...create another.

I took the fuel sending unit in recently to have it rebuilt. After 7 weeks I was told it was beyond hope and a replacement is needed. Good thing I did this in Feb! I did have good luck getting two clocks merged into one good one, for very reasonable money. I paid $8 each for the clocks on Ebay. I hate having instruments that don't work!

January and February were poor months in Mass to get much done; the weather was simply too cold as my garage is not heated. March offers much more hope of productive work.

John
            58 Hardtop
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

My latest project is installing a new exhaust system and after much thought I finally decided to do the unthinkable and use shorty headers. The original cast iron manifolds will be blasted,painted and saved.I got the top bolts out o.k.,but the bottom bolts are going to be tougher to access.

I have a newly rechromed front bumper that I bought from Vince,one of our members,but waiting until a new paint job comes along before I put it on.Now I have to get the rear bumper rechromed....sounds like a home eqity loan or picking up pop bottles along the highway with Casey. ha
              Where did you send your bumper to be rechromed Casey?

Randall
              1960 Hardtop

Comment

• tarps3
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 21 2003

Randall,

I had my bumpers re-done locally here in Oklahoma City at place called DC Bumper Exchange. They did a real nice job for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure how they deal with out-of-state customers.

It's not 100-point show chrome but neither is my car. It is however a very quality job and I'm real proud of how it looks. I have some pics I'll send to Alexander if anyone's interested.
                I'll need to start giving blood and volunteering for medical experiments to raise enough money to rechrome the front bumper - it is extremely expensive.

Casey
                '60 hardtop
                Casey

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Casey:
                  a couple years ago on Ebay, someone listed their own kidney to auction off. The bidding got VERY high...before the authorities got into the act and killed it. So maybe if you went the 3 day auction route and settled for a little less money....
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• mvonhobe
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 11 2003

Still whittling away at the suggestions to solve my "won't start after driving for a while but will after it's had a nap" problem, from the least expensive first on up.

Most of the suggestions center around a starter problem. I did have one suggesting poor timing could contribute, after all I did move it from 5,400' elevation down to about 180'. The recommended timing on the 352is a range from 2 - 10, with a preference for 6. Mine is right where it should be. So the $100 for a new starter is crowding toward the forefront. grumble grumble

Matthew
                    59 HT

Matthew 1959 Indian Turquise Hardtop
                    Tbirdregistry RegistryNumber=13517
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.aspx?RegistryNumber=13517

Comment

mvonhobe, another cause of the hard starting problem when the car is hot may be because the H pipe is very close to the starter and the starter gets hot from the heat of the exhaust. Check to see if you have a heat shield on your starter and if not, put one on and see if that takes care of your problem.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎