X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shafe
    Apprentice
    • Mar 25 2007

'60 convertable?

hey all, am trying to install a ragtop on my bird which used to be a hardtop about 35 years ago....i have all [i think] of the parts and pieces i need but.....i would really like to see a couple of good pictures of the inside with the top up....could someone please email me a pic or two of their convertable from the inside? i'd be more than happy to compensate for your time and effort, i have been all over the net and can't find one pic from the inside...

just a pic of the back folding mechanism on either side and one of the # 3 and 2 bows

thanks a million shafe

shafeww@hotmail.com
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

I can. It'll be Friday though. From the inside of the car huh?
    Your car (used to be) a hardtop? You know the bodies are different right. The underpan is beefed up to accomidate no roof.

Apples n' oranges

Comment

• shafe
      Apprentice
      • Mar 25 2007

yep i am aware of the body diff

thanks....this is just an old mans project...i bought the car in 71 for 100.00..had a crunched left front fender....had it fixed and painted and have been playing with it ever since...got drunk about two weeks after i bought it and decided i wanted a convertable, so on a sunday a.m. with a hammer and chisel [and a 6 pack] i cut the top off....had a little body work done and have had a removable hard top ever since....anyway, i have devised a way to put a ragtop on just for the longer runs, in case i get caught in the rain....so it's just a toy and an old friend that's been through 4 wives and 2 bancruptcies......how would you ever get rid of something like that?

i want to thank you very much for the pics, they will help a lot, if you like, i'll get a few pics after i get the ragtop on and send them to you....thanks again shafe...you can email me direct at shafeww@hotmail.com with the pics.......
      shafe

Comment

• shafe
        Apprentice
        • Mar 25 2007

pics!

john, what i really need pics of is the fabric sleeves that holds bow 2 and 3 in place, i need to see how far down the pads that protect the edges goes, if it shows... these pads go from bow 1 to bow 4 down the outside edges of the frame. they may show and they may not, just get what you can,,, i do know they need to be folded over the foam that prtects the edges of the top, i just don't know exactly where to place them to start. i have a 1960 body,trim and sealant assembly manual from jim olson. which has helped immensely but has absolutely the worst diagrams i have ever tried to figure out...but then i'm not an upholsterer, which may be half the problem...
        the local upholstry shop here says there is no way he would take on a project of this magnitude and that even if he did it would cost me thousands to get it right...i'm retired and on a s.s. which doesn't allow me that kind of spending.....anyway thanks again for responding, i'm sure that any pics you send will be very helpful shafe

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Well sir, we would like to see u post some pics of ur hardtop conv't on here as well. I'd like to see ow u fab'd that removable hardtop....
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• shafe
            Apprentice
            • Mar 25 2007

pics

me too! lol as soon as i figure this old bird out, i'll be more than happy to post pics,,,right now i need a couple of sticks of c-4 to make some minor adjustments shafe

Comment

Where will the top go when its down?The trunk swings the wrong way.Are you reversing the swing of the trunk?These tops are fairly heavy thats why they are hydraulically ran.The 60 is more complex that the 58 or 59.
              Will your top sit on top of the trunk?
              I can sen pix of my 59 if you need.
              Would love to see pix of your project.
              Elvira's 58 was a hard top chopped off,but I dont think it had a soft top for it.

What kind of beer was that?Must have been a back to something more powerfull!!!

C4's wont fit ..C6's will...just a joke!
              Last edited by Guest; April 24, 2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• ncbird
                Experienced
                • Jan 5 2008

shafe, do you have a factory convertible frame that you are trying to graft to the car or are you trying to fabricate something to take its place? EG makes and excellent point as to where it will store.
                If it doesnt have to store I think a padded soft top ala the old Carson tops that were poplular in the 50's would be very cool
                If you are interested in a convertible top to work from I have a brand new black one still in the box with the pads I will sell you and save you some bucks. Grant
                Grant
                NCbird on the Coast of NC
                "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

THIS SOUNDS REAL INTERESTING. At least we still have the car!

Comment

• ncbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

Carson top

Here is a two part how to on building a carson top. It is a great custom touch and I think could be very cool on a bird. I grew up around such things...yes I am that old...my brother had chopped mercs and a 35 ford phaeton with a real "carson top" by carson.

Grant
                    NCbird on the Coast of NC
                    "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• shafe
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 25 2007

frame

Originally posted by ncbird
                      shafe, do you have a factory convertible frame that you are trying to graft to the car or are you trying to fabricate something to take its place? EG makes and excellent point as to where it will store.
                      If it doesnt have to store I think a padded soft top ala the old Carson tops that were poplular in the 50's would be very cool
                      If you are interested in a convertible top to work from I have a brand new black one still in the box with the pads I will sell you and save you some bucks. Grant
                      grant i have a 59 frame that i grafted on and have the new ragtop...i would have loved to put a carson top on but can't afford it so am jury rigging mine...this is just a nice driver and the top is to let me have the longer runs without having to stop for bad weather..i have it mounted so i can raech back and lift it by hand...actually works well, the farme will sit on the car like the old vws will be high but with a custom made boot will look kinda neat....shafe

Comment

• shafe
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 25 2007

59 yes!

Originally posted by El Guapo
                        Where will the top go when its down?The trunk swings the wrong way.Are you reversing the swing of the trunk?These tops are fairly heavy thats why they are hydraulically ran.The 60 is more complex that the 58 or 59.
                        Elvira's 58 was a hard top chopped off,but I dont think it had a soft top for it.

C4's wont fit ..C6's will...just a joke!
                        i'd love to see the inside of a 59 as well as the 60, even though the 59 frame mounted well i have discovered there are a few differance but not sure what they all are any help would be appreciated shafe

Comment

• shafe
                          Apprentice
                          • Mar 25 2007

beer!

[quote=El Guapo;20350]Where will the top go when its down?The trunk swings the wrong way.Are you reversing the swing of the trunk?These tops are fairly heavy thats why they are hydraulically ran.The 60 is more complex that the 58 or 59.

actually it was the old olympia gold [yuk] but had a lot lol and the c4 will fit with the right "match" anyway i want to thank all who have responded...would like to get this done before i die one day hopefully i have enough time left to enjoy it shafe

Comment

• shafe
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 25 2007

pics

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                            I can. It'll be Friday though. From the inside of the car huh?
                            Your car (used to be) a hardtop? You know the bodies are different right. The underpan is beefed up to accomidate no roof.

Apples n' oranges

hi john, did you get a chance to get a couple of pics? just curious as to ehat i'm going to do thanks shafe

Comment

No, That was me deleting them from my photobucket files.
                              I was cleaning things up and forgot that the'd get deleted on the site.Sorry 'bout that!
                              send me your e mail in a private message and I'll send 'em to your puter!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎