X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Fuel smell in Garage

I have a buddy that has just taken receipt of a yellow / white 56 babybird last week. Now it has been restored and looks like a beauty but something wierd has surfaced!!!While storing in his garage he can smell fuel and checked the " vented " gas cap?? Okay you babybird experts anyone had this " vented " gas cap before AND any suggestions as to why the smell???
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Is the smell really coming from the fuel tank area? If so, I believe the Baby Birds had a real vent in the fuel tank with a tube running around the trunk. The cap should be NON-vented. This car had a full size frame akin with Fairlanes.

So... check for leaks in the tank, around the neck, vent, and rubber coupling. Check the fuel lines along the frame.

Don't forget the short rubber hose going from the frame to the fuel pump. Rubber tends to crack, break, and leak.

A small leak may go undetected. If you smell heavy gas, you have quite a large leak. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jimz Bird
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2011

Another thought is that since they do not have a PCV setup installed stock that can cause odors from the road draft tube that could be mistaken for gas. (also oil droppings)

That is a fairly common happenstance with the 4000 series Holley 4v. Sometimes they just smell - especially when they have sat for a while.

PS Post some pics.
      Jim
      Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

I haven't had a 56 for many years but for some reason I'm thinking the cap is vented. There may be a difference among the 3 years but I'm almost positive my 57 is vented. Can't check because I'm away from home, but a search in the supplier catalogs may state the cap as originally being vented or non-vented.

All the rubber hoses and all fittings should be checked, and the road draft or down draft tube is a source for odors as well. Unless the car is shown I would recommend a PCV conversion to eliminate a source of odors and drips. This should be easy enough to track down.

Snowbird Joe

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I took Joe Johnston's suggestion and looked it up in the Ford books.

The only caps that were NON-vented were 1953-'59 Full Size Ford cars, except Sedan Delivery, Station Wagon, Retractables, and Rancheros. This catalog only goes to 1959 so the '60 Squarebird will comply with the '59.

Remember, the "S" designation represents Thunderbird models.

The second and last two entries, cover 'LOCKING' gas caps.
          Attached Files
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• paul274854
            Apprentice
            • Mar 10 2011

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
            I have a buddy that has just taken receipt of a yellow / white 56 babybird last week. Now it has been restored and looks like a beauty but something wierd has surfaced!!!While storing in his garage he can smell fuel and checked the " vented " gas cap?? Okay you babybird experts anyone had this " vented " gas cap before AND any suggestions as to why the smell???

If I remember correctly, the 55's and 56's used a vented cap. 57 used a non-vented cap with a separate vent. My 56 has a vented cap. I have had the tank out twice and there is no separate vent. The TBird parts suppliers sell vented caps for all years.

Check all fittings. Check the carb area, fuel pump (they can seep some gas while still functioning correctly) all lines/fittings, the gasket around the sending unit in the tank. Also check the drain plug - it may have a small leak that doesn't drip but seeps just enough to give out a gas odor.
            Last edited by paul274854; November 24, 2011, 11:07 PM.
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Thanks to all and I will pass your comments along to him and also get him to jump on this site?? Being a baby boomer he states that he doesn't know how to work a computer Wait a minute, I am a baby boomer
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Penelope
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 4 2008

I had a strong smell of fuel in my garage and it turned out to be a hole in the carby float, which leaked fuel down the cacrby, filled up the sump etc etc

Pain in the rear, but easily fixed in the end.
                sigpicBill
                Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎