X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Brass Window Rollers

Yep! They're finally here, and well worth the wait. 60 T-Bird (Martin Burs) made a set from unobtanium and I tried them. Check this out:

We have all waited a very long time for a beautiful set of brass window rollers. The best second choice I can find through the vendors, are made of nylon. Nylon doesn't hold up in Detroit's extreme temperatures, but brass does. These are great.

This is big news for any restorer who wants the best rollers for his Ford... Yes, the same roller not only fits Squarebirds, but a host of other Ford cars. The original window rollers were "purchased parts". They were 'just ok' in quality, but they rusted. These will never rust.

I'm excited about this because Martin can take orders for as many sets as you need. Up until now, we just couldn't get them because vendors didn't see enough profit in making a low-volume production run. Thank God for our Membership because they come through when no one else does.

CLICK HERE for the Squarebird Window Rollers web site. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

They look great

So how do we place orders?
    And whats the cost per set?

I can see me ordering enough for both my 60's

Richard

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Could someone with the parts books check and see how many years these rollers are used? They "look" exactly like those I cleaned and reused for my 57. Any one know if they are also used in the Bullet Birds??
      Last edited by Joe Johnston; December 19, 2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

This is awesome

They look just like the ones I had my machinist buddy make for me back in 2010.

Those plastic/nylon rollers the parts houses sell are worthless for the rear qtr. windows.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• keith
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2010

We use a lot of delrin in many different applications even to replace brass with.

Delrin is a lot more durable than plastic.
          Keith
          Sedalia, Mo.
          sigpic
          CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

POM (Delrin) is produced by Ticona and DuPont. It is a type of 'heat resistant' nylon, normally used in faucet valves. It does a great job with heat, but degrades over time due to oxidation. Certain chemicals hasten the process.

During the 1970's and '80's, our cam timing sprockets were made of this. I don't know how many engines across the entire industry met catastrophic failure when the Delrin teeth broke off causing pistons to close valves, but the cost to consumers was certainly many hundreds of millions. Of course, the degradation always took place after the manufacturer's warranty expired. It's a miracle this timing chain didn't jump on this 390:

Come to think of it, I had a very expensive high-end Sony VHS recorder that used a gear made of Japanese POM. All the electronics houses had replacement gears in stock and they accurately predicted how long the gear would last. The real cost was not in the gear, but in the replacement and setup service (complicated 'timing' was involved).

I think Delrin has its place, but nothing beats using the right metal for longevity and service. (just my two cents) - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

If you have a squarebird and want your rear quarter windows to go up and down with any degree of consistency, you WILL need these brass rollers.

Without them, there is way too much slop in the whole mechanism, and the qtr window will stop in a different spot every time you close it. Not real cool when you shut your door and the window cracks cuz the qtr. window is over-extended into the path of the door glass.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                Experienced
                • Jun 2 2010

Ok...I see I've got myself in trouble again...
                First let me explain my situation...In spring of 2012 I talked with Dave (Simplyconnected) who agreed to be my guinea pig for a set of rollers. So I went ahead and made a set for he and myself. My ride was too far out to try them myself...hence Dave's co-operation. He blessed them and here we are. I had no idea they were so needed but then again, if I needed them I guess everyone else did too. Dakota Boy had some made and shared the design with me. I changed a few dimensions that I felt needed to be changed and voila.
                So here's the deal on a personal level...I received an email from my employer in May, that I was being laid off. So I rented out the house where my other Machine shop is and moved aboard my sailboat near Silicon Valley to find decent work. God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be back on my feet working in a few weeks. Sorry to bore you all with my life.
                So...about the rollers. I have roots here in Silicon Valley with many CNC machine houses and will work up some quotes. So I have noooo idea how much they will be. Probably I will get 3 or 4 quotes, create 13 rollers to a kit (the extra is for when you loose one) and maybe do 12 kits to start to see how it goes. If it's true that they are needed for other Fords, I'll try to contact other forums with the kits.
                I'm not looking for a ton of profit. That's not why I did this in the first place. I just love my bird "Angelina" and wanted her windows right. When Dakota Boy tested his and was amazed and I saw Angelina's droopy windows, I got on it.
                So you're going to have to give me a few weeks to get my **** together. Remember...I live on a boat. More later...Martin
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 2 2010

Hmmmm...I might be wrong about how many go into all the windows...Is it 8 or 12?
                  "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Each window uses three, so there's your kit. Let folks buy one, two, three, or four kits. I say it that way because some folks will not get to all the windows for some time.

I seriously doubt that anyone will need the thirteenth roller. (What do you do with it? It's like selling nine spark plugs...)

You may want to offer a discount on the purchase of two or four kits. (just say'n) - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 2 2010

I see...makes sense...sell them a one window kit of 3 rollers. Then maybe discount on a complete car set. In regards to the bakers dozen Dave...Didn't someone I know loose a beveled washer?

Comment

I kinda feel like I'm buying eggs

Martin put me down for 2 dozen

Richard

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

I was lucky as I only have to clean my original rollers. They still look like new
                          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 30 2009

the original rollers on my quarter window mechanisms were all hogged out and wobbly, and a few of them had big grooves worn in them.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by 1960_430_AU
                              I kinda feel like I'm buying eggs

Martin put me down for 2 dozen

Richard
                              When I find out more, I'll refer back to this thread...Martin

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎